Apps turning themselves on and screen scrolling unpredictable after update - Help!
richa560
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just updated to 2.2 this morning.  After the update, my internet turns itself on, marketplace app pops up and selects apps to install, the caps lock on keyboard goes crazy, a's and w's add themselves  to messages and emails and when I go to delete them, entire words are deleted.   The clock and weather feature turn themselves on too - randomly.  When resetting my home screens, random apps selected themselves.  The home page screens no longer scroll easily, but often don't move.  Scrolling thru email either doesn't happen or over-shoots the item I'm going to.  This is so frustrating!!

I've taken the battery out when turned off, when still on and did a factory reset, but the phantom is still there.  

I'm not one to complain, but this is too much.  My phone was perfect until today!  Suggestions are appreciated.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apps turning themselves on and screen scrolling unpredictable after update - Help!
richa560
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately It's not something that happens from time to time, it's constant and didn't start until the update.  If it were once in a while, I could deal with it but I can't do anything.  I've done the factory reset and pulled the battery.  Today I "woke" the phone up and overnight it had opened an event on my calendar, opened my contact list, selected a contact, composed an email and attempted to add an image for the contact.   After all that, I've turned it off.  I'm just hoping it didn't call anyone.  

I called Verizon over the weekend.  Thankfully I had a great customer service rep. They are sending me a new phone.  This one is possessed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Apps turning themselves on and screen scrolling unpredictable after update - Help!
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My dinc does similar sometimes, although not as drastically, when I get some pocket-lint in the track button/ball/thingy.   Try moving the track/touch thingy around a bit to see if that stops things from randomly moving.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Agreed, same thing happened to me. Clean the screen really well, the trackpad, all while the phone is off. Reboot and test the waters.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

what they both said. your problem seem pretty drastic though. but i did have a friend who's screen just kept moving around. he blew out the optical mouse real good and it quit. seemed like maybe debris was in the mouse and caused it to constantly scroll. also might not hurt to recalibrate the touch screen (somewhere in the settings).

0 Likes
richa560
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've cleaned and rebooted, but to no avail.  Typing is getting worse and when trying to delete just a couple of emails, "the phantom" kept selecting additional emails to delete and while in a message, opened the link that was in it. 

Thanks for your suggestions...I appreciate it.  Verizon is getting a call today.  

0 Likes
tr1kst4nce

richa560 wrote:

I've cleaned and rebooted, but to no avail.  Typing is getting worse and when trying to delete just a couple of emails, "the phantom" kept selecting additional emails to delete and while in a message, opened the link that was in it. 

Thanks for your suggestions...I appreciate it.  Verizon is getting a call today.  

Mine does that from time to time.  When the phone is still on, take the back off and pull the battery out for about 5 seconds then pop it back in and turn it on.  My brother is an in store tech and he said that it does a different kind of "reset" when you pull the battery out than it does by just turning it off.  I've had the thing with the screen scrolling on its own or what have you happen about 3 times now in the 2 months I've had it, and whenever I take the battery out and put it back in, fixes the problem.

Hope that works for you.

Yeah, even the techs have been recommending in store not to do the 2.2 until some bugs are worked out.  Sad sad sad...

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

I understand your frustration with the issues you are experiencing on your device. You can try doing a battery pull on your device which can help or try doing a hard reset at which you would want to first store you information on your SD Card.

0 Likes
richa560
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately It's not something that happens from time to time, it's constant and didn't start until the update.  If it were once in a while, I could deal with it but I can't do anything.  I've done the factory reset and pulled the battery.  Today I "woke" the phone up and overnight it had opened an event on my calendar, opened my contact list, selected a contact, composed an email and attempted to add an image for the contact.   After all that, I've turned it off.  I'm just hoping it didn't call anyone.  

I called Verizon over the weekend.  Thankfully I had a great customer service rep. They are sending me a new phone.  This one is possessed.

0 Likes