Anyone purchase an extra battery?
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I see that Verizon has the Droid battery for 39.99. Anyone purchase an extra battery? I assume that there is no way to charge it other than in the phone. It would be nice if there was a charger that could just charge a battery. I wonder what kind of shelf life a freshly charged battery would have outside the phone. Anyone have any experience with an extra battery.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone purchase an extra battery?
T-ROCK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually there is a charger for just the battery. Go to accessories, select the droid as the phone, click on batteries in the drop down list, and scroll to the 2nd box and there is a charger for 20 dollars.

0 Likes
Not applicable

oh wow that is actually a good idea they even have a battery door you can purchase too. I noticed the back always gets the worst amount of scratches on my phone.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

instead of the extra battery, i'm looking at a regular charger for the phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP1800-TekCharge/dp/B0017KH6OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=12...

i am reluctant carrying around a battery with the parts exposed.  what do you call them, those gold connectors? mess up that battery, mess up your phone.

maybe

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

willanaya wrote:

instead of the extra battery, i'm looking at a regular charger for the phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP1800-TekCharge/dp/B0017KH6OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=12...

i am reluctant carrying around a battery with the parts exposed.  what do you call them, those gold connectors? mess up that battery, mess up your phone.

maybe

Thanks for the info. I plan to purchase the MP1800 for 36.90 from Amazon with no tax and free ship. Certainly a much better solution than an extra battery for 39.99 + tax from Verizon.

Oops - unfortunately the MP1800 has a mini USB port for charging the rechargeable battery so the Droid wall outlet charger with the USB to micro USB cable will not work.  Tekkeon has a MP1650 (19.99 from Amazon) that is a wall charger with various tips (but no micro USB tip). The MP1650 could be used to charge the MP1800 from a wall outlet. That brings the total cost to 56.89.

This USB, mini USB and micro USB is getting to be a nuisance!

I guess I should look for a USB - mini USB cable in order to use the Droid wall charger to charge the MP1800 and save the cost of the MP1650.  I am not one for using a PC USB connect to charge a battery.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

yeah, dont use the usb for charging.  there was a poster on here who discovered that charging the droid via usb and pc is slow and sometimes counter-productive.

if you do some searching on amazon, you will find a mini usb to micro usb connector for like $1.36.

however, my point was not just the cost because if it came to that I would always choose the battery.  What i am determining which product i want is the fact that the Droid battery would be exposed to any and every element (unless it came with some type of carrying case). plus i dont have to worry about charging the battery every night. i would simply stop by the store, pick up some AA and off i go.

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

You actually need a standard USB to mini USB cable to use the Droid wall charger (standard USB connect) to charge the MP1800 (mini USB connect). I just happened to have one in my junk cable box. I also decided to get the

Kensington Mini Car Charger for Mobile Devices with USB Port for 9.99 from Amazon

so I can use either the USB to mini cable or the USB to micro cable while in the car. Seems like a perfect solution - I will have a car and wall charger with both a mini and micro cable. My total cost is 36.90 + 9.99 = 46.89.  The extra battery alone was 39.99 + tax. This is a no-brainer!

0 Likes