Any Chance Droid Charge (Samsung SCH-I510) Will Get Another OS Update?
mddexter

I received the Charge, free of Charge (pun intended!) a little over a year ago.  They were giving them away for a 2-yr contract renewal, and I bit! 

I've had the Charge for approx. 16 months.  During that time, I have received 3 OTA updates (FP1, FP5 & FP8).  I have also noticed several problems mentioned in these forums already.  Most notably, the problem causing me the most grief is when multiple instances of the phone are created (launched by me, after no activity after each app instance).  All app instances appear simultaneously, and the poor person on the receiving end of the phone call hears me talking through several phone apps simultaneously ... echoing like mad.  Usually, a reboot clears this up.

I should mention that this problem doesn't happen nearly as much since FP8 was pushed.  Don't know if that was a coincidence or not.  But the problem does still happen occasionally.

I recently had another critical issue happen.  All of a sudden, I was getting force closes from many apps simultaneously, including system apps (com.android processes).  The phone became unusable.  Factory reset didn't resolve the problem.  After doing some research, I found that I could push stock software and re-partition the memory space again through ODIN.  I did this, and had no success at first because the phone thought I was using a non-stock battery, even though nothing had changed with the battery (stock battery received with the phone).  After pulling the battery, and re-installing, and pushing the stock software w/ re-partition (pushed the original EP4D flavor of OS), the phone operated as it did when I first received it.  Verizon pushed the "OTA" updates (FP1, FP5 & FP8), and my phone was back to good-as-new performance.  Actually, the phone is quite snappy now.

Needless to say, I'm still concerned about the Charge.  I am not up for contract renewal until March of 2014, so I'm just planning on doing a factory reset whenever I have these problems. 

I recently read an article, stating that a bug was discovered in Feb 2013, which allows many devices made in the last 4 years (since "Donut" flavor of Android) to be susceptible to a bug taking advantage of "Master Key".  It claims that a dev could unknowingly push an apk to the Play store, which is infected with this issue.  It seems to be a stretch.  Here's the URL to the article:

http://tinyurl.com/kj63ae8

I have followed the suggestions outlined in the article, and found that the Samsung droid charge is susceptible.  However, I've read a bit on XDA, and found that this is not really a huge problem, as it requires a user to install an infected apk, which doesn't happen all that often.  It's a flaw in the OS which bug-devs are not actively taking advantage of, it would seem.

Here's my question, I know the few Droid Charge owners out there are still a bit hopeful that it will get an update to the Jellybean OS.  Any chance this is possible?  I for one, would love this!

Thanks for your consideration.

0 Likes
Re: Any Chance Droid Charge (Samsung SCH-I510) Will Get Another OS Update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I highly doubt the Droid Charge with get any more updates.  It is designed spec wise in the same vein as the original Samsung Galaxy S class phone which will not get any updates beyond Gingerbread (Android 2.3.x).

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Arnett_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Were you trying to say something ? Your post under is blank except for your signature.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Deaconblues59

I wish mine would stop getting updates. For the last 3 weeks, it's been telling me that there's a system update available. I've taken every one of them. Trouble is, it's happening every day and the "update" is always the same size, 20.4 MB. I spoke with Verizon — they were clueless and connected me with Samsung. Samsung wasn't aware of this issue and suggested I drive 30 miles to the nearest store with the capability of doing a SMART software reflash.

I'm fed up, but I'm stuck with this thing for awhile.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh wow! That's no good! Have you completed a factory reset for this issue?  http://bit.ly/UWT4k6

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jadlocky

I havent had an update sence i'v had the durn thing. Nov 2012

0 Likes
jadlocky

well I just looked and it is up todate back in feb. I just didnt remember. but no problems. I hope all works out

0 Likes
lucasurasa1

please i need firmware for samsung verizon sch-i510 i will any body who will give me a link

0 Likes
lucasurasa1

my email is [Removed] any body who will success to send to me a link of samsung verizon sch-i510 firmware i will pay

personal content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes