Re: Android 2.2
Cody21
Master - Level 2

"...  theres always nfl mobile. thats another free app that i use to watch live action and keep track of my favorite team".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's FREE to download but Verizon hijcked the APP from the NFL and they (Verizon) now charges $10/month !!!  It actually WAS working (for FREE) during pre-season, but once the season started, they locked it down for a FEE.   sucks.

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2

why am i not surprised by verizon adding this as a pay service. lol. uninstalling.

0 Likes
mjtimko

gerio wrote:
Good save...:smileyhappy:)

I would love to see the update hit, but after reading about all the grief it has caused the D Incredible folks, I'd rather them wait, as maddening as that may be, and make sure that updates don't make things worse.

Geri O

This would really be comaring apples to oranges.  Droid Incredible is an HTC phone and were all using Motorola phones.  If Incredible users are having problems then we should not necessarily expect the same problems here with DX, D2 or D1.  I have a friend at work who has Droid 1 yet and is upgraded to 2.2.  He knows I have a DX and he has never expressed any frustrations to me about the 2.2 update.

If you read the Droid 2 forum, the worst problems they talk about in their seven screens is GPS and Wifi.  They had exactly one forum post for MS Exchange that they apparently fixed itself the following day.

This leads me to another question.  If the D2 ROM has no real issues, then why don't they just give us DX'ers the D2 ROM instead of a Froyo update.  The phones are technologically the same except for screen size.  Both have the same TI OMAP processer, same hd space, and same ram.

I see no issues here.

0 Likes
GeekGuy

mjtimko wrote:

gerio wrote:
Good save...:smileyhappy:)

I would love to see the update hit, but after reading about all the grief it has caused the D Incredible folks, I'd rather them wait, as maddening as that may be, and make sure that updates don't make things worse.

Geri O

This would really be comaring apples to oranges.  Droid Incredible is an HTC phone and were all using Motorola phones.  If Incredible users are having problems then we should not necessarily expect the same problems here with DX, D2 or D1.  I have a friend at work who has Droid 1 yet and is upgraded to 2.2.  He knows I have a DX and he has never expressed any frustrations to me about the 2.2 update.

If you read the Droid 2 forum, the worst problems they talk about in their seven screens is GPS and Wifi.  They had exactly one forum post for MS Exchange that they apparently fixed itself the following day.

This leads me to another question.  If the D2 ROM has no real issues, then why don't they just give us DX'ers the D2 ROM instead of a Froyo update.  The phones are technologically the same except for screen size.  Both have the same TI OMAP processer, same hd space, and same ram.

I see no issues here.

Probably because anyone with any sense would know that the D2 is a different device thatn the DX.  Simply because they are bot from Motorola or because they both have the word Droid in their names or because they use the same processor does NOT mean they are the same. {please keep your posts courteous}

Wait until the update is ready to be given.

0 Likes
mjtimko

Probably because anyone with any sense would know that the D2 is a different device thatn the DX.  Simply because they are bot from Motorola or because they both have the word Droid in their names or because they use the same processor does NOT mean they are the same. {please keep your posts courteous}

Well, if you knew anything about computers, then you would know if you custom build a pair of pc's with all the same base hardware (much in the way that Motorola did with the DX & the D2), then you would know that if you loaded each with Windows 7, then they should act identically.

Now if I were to take one of those computers have an intel cpu and I swap one out with a AMD cpu.  They are no longer the same.

This is the anology I am trying to make between the X and 2.  The Froyo operating system on the D2 should work on a DX as they have no differences in what makes them work.  If one of them had an Arm Cortex A7 or the Snapdragon processor found in the Incredible, then what I am suggesting would not work.

0 Likes
GeekGuy

mjtimko wrote:

Well, if you knew anything about computers, then you would know if you custom build a pair of pc's with all the same base hardware (much in the way that Motorola did with the DX & the D2), then you would know that if you loaded each with Windows 7, then they should act identically.

Now if I were to take one of those computers have an intel cpu and I swap one out with a AMD cpu.  They are no longer the same.

This is the anology I am trying to make between the X and 2.  The Froyo operating system on the D2 should work on a DX as they have no differences in what makes them work.  If one of them had an Arm Cortex A7 or the Snapdragon processor found in the Incredible, then what I am suggesting would not work.

Thanks for that laugh.

You seem to answer yourself.  Obviously if there are 2 different mainboards, each need their own set of drivers to work with the operating system.

When comparing the D2 to the DX you are comparing apples to oranges.

Any reasonable person can look att he parts in the Droid 2 and see that they are different thatn the Droid X.  The OS needs to communicate with that hardware.  By being different hardware, it is going to be different for the OS.

Look at the hardware in each:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/13/droid-2-torn-apart-we-cover-our-eyes/

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/25/droid-x-gets-dissected/

Simply because 2 computers can operate the same OS does not mean that there were not parts needed to make them work together.  That is where you will have DIFFERENT drivers for DIFFERENT hardware.  There is not one generic OS that operates everyhting.  You will not get to operate an HP printer using a configuration with Brother print drivers.  You are not going to be able to use your video card to the extent that it is capable of if you have nVidia drivers but another video card.

So yeah...the base OS is going to be the same...but the difference lies in how it communicates with the hardware of the device.

And for your information, I have worked with computers since 1979. I have buit computer commercially since 1993.  Yeah, I know a little about them.

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2
Do a google search and find a site that does a head to head comparison of the droidx vs the d2 and the differences are noticeable. X has a bigger screen and d2 has a keyboard but the thing that really sets them apart is what os they are running. Droid x as we all know is on 2.1 and d2 has 2.2. That's it folks.
0 Likes