Android 2.2 update yesterday. Battery life very poor now
graphichome

I got to a point where I was satisfied with my battery life at 2.1. My phone auto updated to 2.2 yesterday. Now my battery life went down by about 50%. Have been running TaskPanel to keep my apps under control but noticed that several apps kept running. Phone was always warm so I know it was doing something. At one point in the afternoon it went from 20% to off in a matter of minutes. Made a 2 minute phone call during that time.

Any feedback is appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Android 2.2 update yesterday. Battery life very poor now
shersher
Enthusiast - Level 2
I feel like battery life on my phone has decreased significantly since 2.2! I've done a lot to try & "fix" it but not much has helped. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Most of my phone use is texting, email, browser & FB.

Things done to try to improve battery life:
Task killer
No task killer
Changed display settings to "auto"
Removed apps that I don't use & that always seemed to be running.
Changed refresh time on FB
Unchecked "background data"
Tried force closing some things after using them...FB, browser, games

I've seen some threads were people have suggested removing the anti virus, but I have not done that. It only uses 2-4 % of my battery & I just like having it. I did change the settings on it though.

What am I missing that might help improve battery life????
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did you guys do a factory wipe?

The things I noticed with updates when coming from Android.  Sometimes it installs, but have bugs caused without a factory wipe.  What I noticed if I do a factory wipe PRIOR to isntalling the new OS I ALWAYS run into less problems no matter what Android devicei had.  By doing a factory reset your battery data is also erased so in about a week it'll learn what low battery and high battery are and should improve your battery.  Right now if you guys have not done a factory reset something may be draining your battery as it's not running right.

0 Likes
shersher
Enthusiast - Level 2
No, I have not tried it. Can you please post how to do a factory reset or point us to directions?

Also, what can I save...contacts, apps? Can I remove the SD card before hand so I don't risk losing all the stuff I have on it?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Factory reset will not touch your SD card.  Also you contacts and such should be synced with GMAIL(you can log into your gmail account to verify), and you apps should automatically download.  Free apps may not and you will have to look for them.  It all depends if you have a backup on Google servers.

To do a factory reset it should be from homescreen:

menu -->settings--> privacy

There should be options there to backup your data and restore data as well.  Now if you have those off you can turn them on and give it about an hour before you try to make sure it backs up your data.

edit: Just a heads up it will have to relearn battery usage so the first week or two it may seem like it hasn't changed.

0 Likes
shersher
Enthusiast - Level 2
Great...thank you for the info! I'll do the reset this week & I will let you know if there's ANY change.

Thanks again! :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So how is it working out for you?  Has your battery gotten better?

0 Likes
shersher
Enthusiast - Level 2
I did the reset that night (Sept 14) and so far so good! My battery has lasted all day today...will go on the charger before bed tonight. Before the reset I was charging my phone twice a day...sometimes three times a day if I was "on the phone" a lot. I haven't installed all the apps I had on it, just doing a few a day. Did the rest on my husbands phone today, so we're hoping to see an improvemnt there too. He uses his phone twice as much as I do.

Thank you for your help & for checking back with me!!
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yup seemed like something was bugging out and was draining your battery.  I hope it gets better from here on out :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Suigeneris

Battery life is soooo bad I'm about to ask for a replacement. I charge before bed and by morning the phone is beeping with a dead battery. If I start playing with apps, I can literally watch my battery meter drop and within an hour its on red. Also, because of flash a lot of web based media can not be used/seen. This phone is more of a prop than a tool.

0 Likes