Re: Android 2.2 Update fiasco: Open letter to CEO Mr. Ivan G. Seidenberg
hisfrogness

1.  EVO customers were saying "This update is buggy... I need it fixed".  Droid customers were saying the SAME THING.

So? What does that have to do with anything?

2.  Reasonable people understand that when you say "Updates START today" it doesn't mean they will be COMPLETE today.

You totally ignored my point and chose a response based on semantics, indicating that you are more interested in being combative than actually addressing the issue. If an update takes weeks to conclude, it should be mentioned that the timeline is not a matter of hours or even days. It's like when you buy something online and then get an email that they're out of stock and won't ship for another month. People have expectations about how long things should take. It shouldn't take more than 8 hours to fly from LA to NY. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to ship a package. All I'm saying is that if you tell your customers that updates are STARTING today and the reality is that SOME customers won't see those updates for months...to me...that's a timeline that falls outside of a normal persons expectations. And something you fail to consider is that it doesn't matter whether that expectation is reasonable or not...it's your CUSTOMERS expectations. If you're response is that all Verizon's customers are **bleep**..well...you're not going to be running a very successful business.

3.  The actual OTA is not done by Verizon.  They do the final testing and tweaks, but  they do not actually do the updating.    With the problem EVO had with manual updates, people should be happy it is done OTA. (doing it by RUU requires a hard reset of the phone)

This does not exclude Verizon's responsibilities to their customers. Tell me, who do I go to for an update? Do I go to HTC or Google? No. I go to Verizon. It wasn't my choice to have it setup that way. Again, if there are some extenuating circumstances it is Verizon's responsibility to communicate them. Verizon is very adept at sending me text messages about all the great things they offer; they can't use this to update impatient petulant customers about updates?

4.  Verizon only controls the very last part of the process.  Even if they wanted to release dates, they would be foolish to speak up when it is out of their hands.  Once it is in final testing, they dont even know until it has passed.  Speaking about dates any more would give competition more info and possibly tick off customers when OTHER companies dont meet their dates.

Firstly, see my last response (the bit about this not being my problem) Secondly, are you serious? A 3 week variance in when an update happens is going to impact Verizon's share of the market? That's laughable.

5.  HTC/VERIZON did say the update would be out late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter.  It is not late 3rd quarter.  Sounds like they gave good intel, right?

Kind of, although whenever a company uses the term Quarter it means they're talking to their stockholders. When they use the term quarter without specifying whether it's a calendar or fiscal year they're not really giving any date at all.

6.  Sprint beat Verizon with their update by 2-3 weeks BUT it was buggy and screwed up peoples phones for over a week.  So, which would you rather .... earlier update and a screwed up phone for a week.... or wait on enhancement and get it right?

So, by that logic then, nobody should ever release any updates at all because the first one will be buggy and people will complain.

0 Likes
TheFramCire

1.  EVO customers were saying "This update is buggy... I need it fixed".  Droid customers were saying the SAME THING.

So? What does that have to do with anything?

You said other customers with other carriers were saying weee... the update rocks.  NO, they were saying "WHERE IS THE FIX TO THIS BUGGY UPDATE"

2.  Reasonable people understand that when you say "Updates START today" it doesn't mean they will be COMPLETE today.

You totally ignored my point and chose a response based on semantics, indicating that you are more interested in being combative than actually addressing the issue. If an update takes weeks to conclude, it should be mentioned that the timeline is not a matter of hours or even days. It's like when you buy something online and then get an email that they're out of stock and won't ship for another month. People have expectations about how long things should take. It shouldn't take more than 8 hours to fly from LA to NY. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to ship a package. All I'm saying is that if you tell your customers that updates are STARTING today and the reality is that SOME customers won't see those updates for months...to me...that's a timeline that falls outside of a normal persons expectations. And something you fail to consider is that it doesn't matter whether that expectation is reasonable or not...it's your CUSTOMERS expectations. If you're response is that all Verizon's customers are **bleep**..well...you're not going to be running a very successful business.

I didnt ignore ANYTHING.  The update is expected to take about 1 week NOT 3 months.  I mean seriously, is 1 week that unreasonable??  How was I being combative?  I was simply disagreeing with your assertions?

3.  The actual OTA is not done by Verizon.  They do the final testing and tweaks, but  they do not actually do the updating.    With the problem EVO had with manual updates, people should be happy it is done OTA. (doing it by RUU requires a hard reset of the phone)

This does not exclude Verizon's responsibilities to their customers. Tell me, who do I go to for an update? Do I go to HTC or Google? No. I go to Verizon. It wasn't my choice to have it setup that way. Again, if there are some extenuating circumstances it is Verizon's responsibility to communicate them. Verizon is very adept at sending me text messages about all the great things they offer; they can't use this to update impatient petulant customers about updates?

This was meant to counter the idea that Verizon should offer an online download.  Since they do NOT actually do the download, how can they offer it?  EVO was offered a similar thing and it screwed up phones. 

4.  Verizon only controls the very last part of the process.  Even if they wanted to release dates, they would be foolish to speak up when it is out of their hands.  Once it is in final testing, they dont even know until it has passed.  Speaking about dates any more would give competition more info and possibly tick off customers when OTHER companies dont meet their dates.

Firstly, see my last response (the bit about this not being my problem) Secondly, are you serious? A 3 week variance in when an update happens is going to impact Verizon's share of the market? That's laughable.

I never said a thing about market share.  However, Sprint shockingly pushed out their update a few days before the rumor was that VZW was about to push theirs.  Is that coincidence?  I doubt it since Sprint  had not said a word about it until the rumor came out.  Also, the Sprint update was flawed and was not ready.  A 3 week varience will tick off many customers, look how mad the OP was here because the rollout was taking 1 week?

5.  HTC/VERIZON did say the update would be out late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter.  It is not late 3rd quarter.  Sounds like they gave good intel, right?

Kind of, although whenever a company uses the term Quarter it means they're talking to their stockholders. When they use the term quarter without specifying whether it's a calendar or fiscal year they're not really giving any date at all.

NO, this is completely untrue.  They were not releasing this information to their stockholders, it was a press release to their customers.  3Q stands for July-September.  4Q is October - December.  Honestly, you know that.  When releasing information about FINANCIALS, it MAYBE assumed you are talking fiscal year....... HOWEVER, when saying 3Q10, it means 3rd quarter of 2010 not 3rd quarter of fiscal year 2010-2011.

6.  Sprint beat Verizon with their update by 2-3 weeks BUT it was buggy and screwed up peoples phones for over a week.  So, which would you rather .... earlier update and a screwed up phone for a week.... or wait on enhancement and get it right?

So, by that logic then, nobody should ever release any updates at all because the first one will be buggy and people will complain.

The first update doesnt NEED to be buggy.  If you are first and not buggy..... that is ideal.

After reading your reply, it is you who comes off combative.  I dont have the update, I have been waiting 6 weeks for it.  I NEED the fixes the update is suppossed to bring.  I have spoke to over a dozen HTC and VZW reps.  However, I fail to see why people are going nuts.  In the end they gave a date and met it.  I do appologize if I came off as combative, I do believe my post was directed at making counterpoints to your (and the OP) posts.  I will be interested in your thoughts, but I will also work harder not to be combativein tone or meaning

0 Likes
MastaCoz
Enthusiast - Level 3
I kinda want to mention how a real software development should work...but I'm not writing it on my phone. Tho all and all, they could have done a better job overall. No need to roll out little by little to test...that part should have happened before releasing the update to the public.
0 Likes
Chillenout

Dude.

You sent this to the wrong person. Ivan is the CEO for the landline side of Verizon...Ivan just so happens not to give a rats **bleep** about you or anyone else. 

You should have sent this to the CEO of Verizon Wireless, Lowell Mc Adam and the Regional President for your area... 

On second thought, they don't give a rat's **bleep** about anyone either, so you'll just be wasting your time sending them an email.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

hisfrogness wrote:

I'm not defending the original poster, however, Verizon tends to FUBAR their updates. They're doing the same thing right now that they did with the BB Storm; remaining completely silent for weeks while other network customers are all saying"Weee...this update rocks"

1.) If you know that it's going to take weeks to distribute an update perhaps it isn't the wisest thing to announce on Twitter that the updates are rolling out without also including some timeline as to how long it will take. If all Verizon says is "Updates Today" then a reasonable person is going to assume that they're going to get an update today.

2.) OTA should be optional. Verizon should have a link in my account overview to d/l a zip file to my computer and do the update via USB. I agree that 90 megs is a hefty push for cell phones. So much so that it strikes me as odd that they didn't try to aleviate some of that massive OTA transfer by making it available online.

3.) Verizon doesn't seem to be interested in communicating with their customers. If they don't know about the massive rumor mill that these updates foster, then they should. If they're not aware of the tremendous enthusiasm that people have about getting the latest greatest OS then they should make themselves aware of it.

As soon as one blog about some other Android getting 2.2 gets posted there are thousands of Verizon customers wondering "will my Android get an update?". I dunno cause Verizon seems silent when it comes to this stuff. Maybe we'll learn weeks down the road from CNET.

I can accept that it takes Verizon three times longer than everyone else to release updates.....but COMMUNICATE! Tell us what's happening.

You mention the massive Rumor mill and the THOUSANDS wondering about the update.  That massive mill is a minuscule amount compared to all who have this phone. Most on here complaining about not having the update, I see on other forums saying the same thing. So it looks large, but I suspect less than 2% of all Incredible users even know there is an update coming. 

If communicated to all, I bet CS would be slammed with, "What is this email about an update coming?  Take my phone back! If you need to update it, there must be something wrong with it."

They communicated, they said 3rd or 4th quarter an update would come. It has and it is being rolled out.Those on here screaming and demanding the update and bashing Verizon are people who have maybe posted less than 5 times on these boards. I know this will be a surprise to many, Let me clue ya in, you are not going to change how it is done. Those of us who have been here for a few months or years  are like, "eh, we get it when we get it. " This phone is fantastic with 2.1 it will be better with 2.2

That being said, I have bit my tongue over and over on this subject of the update and posts in general not wanting to say this, but I have to let it out. MODS, feel free to delete if you feel the need. We have a new generation out there where many are, "ME ME ME, I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW," immediate self gratification.  "I demand therefore you are to do it." Everyone stand back, because I HAVE ARRIVED!

Some come here ask a question, and we, as CUSTOMERS, of the same company NOT EMPLOYEES reply thinking we are helping, and many appreciate what they do on these boards. Coming from Alltel, I know I am very grateful to many on these boards. But there is this group that has come here in the last 7 or so months that If the answer is not what they WANTED to hear, they go nuts on ya.  And if this is what we are going to become, a nation of ME's this nation is doomed.    Flame away at me, I have my fire retardant suit on. Plus my 2.2 update just came through, I am going to see how it looks.

EVERYONE have a wonderful day and a great and safe Holiday weekend!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

budone you should be taken to the town square and stoned!!! lol!!! well put. i've tried to explain the small % to others because when they see that 20 people here have a call quality issue, they assume everyone does. no...those 20 people are here BECAUSE they have an issue. does everyone really think that every inc ownver hangs around these boards??? "mostly" it is the people that have problems, those of us that would like to try to help them, and complete tech geeks. this makes up a VERY small % of droid users. and you are correct...most aren't even aware that there is an update. they'll just touch "yes" one of these days when prompted, and will have no idea what or why it is updating. MOST people that have a properly working device don't even know these forums exist. my brother and best friend both have moto's. my brother called a couple weeks back and sounded much more clear (he had a bad quality issue) so i asked if he got the update. he had no idea what i was talking about but told me "i don't know, but my phone wanted me to install some thing last night so i did." LOL....that is your average user. he was just thrilled that i could here him better....could've cared less why or how or what else was done to his droid. so since he got it i IM's my best friend to ask him if he got froyo. he replied "wth are you talking about?" i explained and he said "oh yeah...my phone acted real weird the other day and turned off then back on and some things were different." i explained it to him and he said "so what more can i do with it now." i told him he could basically install apps to the sd card and it should be much faster. he literally replied "oh cool....where is the sd card that i should install them to and what is an sd card?"  LOL!!!!! THAT is your average android user!!!!! they get these because they are cool phones that you can play around with, and like all of us with our own brains....use about 10% of it's potential.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Chillenout wrote:

Dude.

You sent this to the wrong person. Ivan is the CEO for the landline side of Verizon...Ivan just so happens not to give a rats **bleep** about you or anyone else. 

You should have sent this to the CEO of Verizon Wireless, Lowell Mc Adam and the Regional President for your area... 

On second thought, they don't give a rat's **bleep** about anyone either, so you'll just be wasting your time sending them an email.

That's just AWESOME!! I'm gonna go LOL now... Nice catch. I love these open letter threads on these boards, they're definitely my favorites. Like anyone at VZW besides a couple CSRs are even looking at these. I'm sure those CSRs will make sure to forward this on up to the CEO. Let me know how that works out for ya man...

:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Anev

They demoted poor Ivan?  Last I heard he was the CEO of Verizon which owns Verizon Wireless.  It's not Verizon Wireless owns Verizon the company....  Ivan is the big boy, he's who all report too last I saw (well except for the Board of Director - wait, he's also the Chairman of that....)

Poor guy...

0 Likes
Anev

And guys, don't forget Verizon's motto.  "You take it, you'll like it and you'll pay for it...can you hear me now?"

0 Likes
kzmk

What peeves people off the most is that there is no rhyme or reason to the update schedule. I ordered my Incredible the second week it came out. My brother, who is my secondary, like it so much he upgraded as soon as he was eligible, which was just two weeks ago. Now can someone explain why he got his update three days ago and I'm still waiting?  I get to hear from him ask me 50 times a day if I got Froyo yet. So VZW is that how you treat your early adopters? You guys are cheesing off some of your most loyal and supportive customers. Nice work.

0 Likes