Re: Android 2.2 Froyo
GeekGuy

mjtimko wrote:

Well this is where patience has gotten us.

When I got my phone, I asked the sales person if the FroYo update was on track.  I was assured August 2010 was a firm release date and that the "Flag Ship" phone would be first upgraded.

Then that date because Summer 2010

Then it became Late Summer

All those time periods where shown right on the Droid Does website.

Now there is no date at all because they can't decide what the next lie will be.

All I would like is a straight answer from Verizon as to why we don't have the update.  Or why they can't roll it out as a few different updates.  Send us the Java Compiler and Flash Support now.  Send us teh MS Exchange for email when they fix it (which is the rumor that is holding up this update).

Personally I have no use for MS Exchange.  I have a GMail address and a Hotmail address and they serve me just fine.  In the five years that I have had DSL, I have never once used my ISP's provided email accounts.

The only other Verizon Droid phone to not have 2.2 is LG Ally.  A phone so unworthy that they would not call it the LG Droid Ally.  Do we, as X owners, want to be lumped with this phone?  A phone that verizon gives away for 49.99 with two year contract.

Did you even look at the information available within the two links I previously posted?

That information was freely available from the very beginning since the announcment of the Droid X.  Nothing has changed since then.   It has ALWAYS been late summer...it was never some other date that migrated to that.

0 Likes
GeekGuy

mjtimko wrote:

SHAC yes I do.

I am an inspector for a steel company.

I have to ensure the quality of the goods and keep the process on schedule to ensure the customer gets their order.

If we miss our target dates, then the customer can pull their order and we lose the money and we are stuck with the inventory. 

So yes, I know something about keeping my word.

As to whining.  I don't see it that way.  Verizon should be reading these boards because they are seething with displeasure.

I am sure I will get kicked in the teeth for saying this again, but, with the exception of the camera, the guts in a Droid 2 are no different than the guts in a X.  Why does this phone have 2.2 and X does not.

It is quite obvious that you do not actually look at all the information that is freely available on these forums.

I have already posted this information in another thread on these forums, but I will re-post the information now.

The so-called guts of the Droid 2 are much different that the Droid X.   They are not the same...there are many differences.  Here are actual photos of both phones after being taken apart....it is clearly obvious that the hardware in each phone is different from each other:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/13/droid-2-torn-apart-we-cover-our-eyes/

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/25/droid-x-gets-dissected/

Because the phones ARE in fact different, is part of the reason as to why you cannot simply use the same 2,2 version on the Droid X as the Droid 2.

0 Likes
taskellusaf

whats really getting on the nerves of people and me... is i like many others paid for this device at the cost of a few benjamins with the promises of it being the top of the line phone... well now its behind pretty much all of them..  I shelled out over 500 dollars on this thing within the first month... Purchase, activation fee, and first months bill... I switched to Verizon because of the service from ATT... Sure I could I got an ipone that didn't support flash.. but i wanted the driod because of this... And well now that a month has come and gone i'm stuck with the phone BECAUSE I WAS WAITING FOR THE UPDATE!!!!!  Now i can't do anything that i was intending to do.. Could have just got an iphone and been just as happy.

Now don't get me wrong this is a great phone.. Problem is.. I bought it on release day, shelled out a lot of money, and feel as tho im not getting my money's worth and all i'm getting is you'll have to wait. 

One of the things i really really wish they would add to the feature of 2.2 is the ability to zoom while in video mode.  Other than that i think they are on the right track with this update.

But the question remains... Exactly WHEN will i see the investment i made into this phone come to life. 

0 Likes
SHAC
Enthusiast - Level 3

taskellusaf wrote:

whats really getting on the nerves of people and me... is i like many others paid for this device at the cost of a few benjamins with the promises of it being the top of the line phone... well now its behind pretty much all of them..  I shelled out over 500 dollars on this thing within the first month... Purchase, activation fee, and first months bill... I switched to Verizon because of the service from ATT... Sure I could I got an ipone that didn't support flash.. but i wanted the driod because of this... And well now that a month has come and gone i'm stuck with the phone BECAUSE I WAS WAITING FOR THE UPDATE!!!!!  Now i can't do anything that i was intending to do.. Could have just got an iphone and been just as happy.

Now don't get me wrong this is a great phone.. Problem is.. I bought it on release day, shelled out a lot of money, and feel as tho im not getting my money's worth and all i'm getting is you'll have to wait. 

One of the things i really really wish they would add to the feature of 2.2 is the ability to zoom while in video mode.  Other than that i think they are on the right track with this update.

But the question remains... Exactly WHEN will i see the investment i made into this phone come to life. 

Did you really need to make identical posts in 2.2 threads? {please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
Soundvessel

taskellusak, if you did your research you would understand that the only phone to get timely updates is the Nexus One. All the tech blogs made it very apparent through past experience that Android updates take awhile to filter through. Do I like the wait? No. But this is not unexpected and the complaints are merely only going to drown out more worthy discussion while having no effect on Verizon's timetable.

Android is now on many different phones spread across multiple manufactures. Unless you want them to pull a Windows Vista I suggest we allow them to make sure the release goes smoothly and allow their staff to address more pressing matters.

0 Likes
GeekGuy

taskellusaf wrote:

If you would have looked at the information that was freely available before you bought the phone, you wouold know that the update was not planned until late summer.  You should never buy anything without knowing all the information.

0 Likes
taskellusaf
yeah I'm sure verizon advertised this... Nope all they said was the update is coming soon
0 Likes
Soundvessel

taskellusaf wrote:
yeah I'm sure verizon advertised this... Nope all they said was the update is coming soon

They did right in their public press release. http://news.vzw.com/news/2010/06/pr2010-06-22.html

"DROID X customers will also receive Android 2.2 and Adobe Flash Player 10.1 with an over-the-air update in the latter half of the summer."

Took 2 seconds to find with Google and like I said it was repeated in many tech blogs including Engadget and of the like.....

0 Likes
GeekGuy

taskellusaf wrote:

Actually it was announced on the same day that the Droid X was announced officially by Verizon on June 23.

Here is the printed version of the announcement : http://news.vzw.com/news/2010/06/pr2010-06-22.html

This was available......freely.

Furthermore, if you looked at the information that is available from Motorola on their products, you can see that they have the same timeframe stated : https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades?view=overview

The official source of information is going to be from Motorola or Verizon.

0 Likes
taskellusaf
well I'm no internet junkie first of all... And allow me to clarify... my verizon rep told me soon.. The guy on the phone also said soon.. And yes I have some bugs... Random reboots... Sorry battery life.... Etc.. Being told the update should fix your problems... So I held on the phone....IT just boggles the mind how I spend all this money and can't get an update... its like getting a raw deal... kinda curious if the people that bought older phones at the time even knew 2.2 would be out...
0 Likes