Re: Android 2.2 (Froyo) release date?
AZSALUKI
Legend

it depends on your phone i believe. droid eris users just got 2.1 and if it came out in january, then it's been 5 months. htc appears to be behind in the update??? so who knows....maybe we'll get it next month or maybe by the end of the year? i really know nothing about this stuff, but if you look at the topics, it appears that half of them (in the past week) have something to do with the droid eris and the 2.1 update, so i'm assuming that eris users just got the update??? and that moto users got it 2 months ago??? i 'm not killin vzn for this....i'm just not gonna hold my breath for updates...and am espcially not going to count on being able to use my phone as a hot spot. that's all.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
If they remove the teethering option, it will be downloadable somewhere else. Kind of a waste to try it based on how open android is. IMO
0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

I am fairly new to Android, so maybe this is a misguided question.  If Google offers a wireless hotspot with 2.2, but Verizons disables it, would a program like {Keep it Legal} now work as a hotspot without rooting since Google essentially opened this up in the main files?  It would seem to me, that unless Verizon sits down and rewrites the 2.2 code, they wouldn't be able to completely close the door on this feature Froyo would be shipping with.  Maybe they would rewrite the code.  They need to get those thethering fees somehow.  The tethering fees are almost as ridiculous as needing to pay extra to access an Exchange server.  I guess Exchange email is somehow different than the other 0's and 1's going back and forth from your phone.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

The Eris may not get the 2.2.  HTC has only stated that phones that came out this year will get it.  There is a good possibility that the processor in the Eris won't run the new features and all updating would do is give a different look to 2.1 or they may get around to it and it work fine.  They will always work newest to Oldest so more than likely they are working on porting it to the EVO and the Mytouch3G then the Incredible and the Desire then maybe the older ones.  Motorola will probably put it on the iT first then the DROID then Devour and maybe the backflip.  Though you can bet AT&T won't allow tethering or most of the new features. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

These threads are so ridiculous.  Some people act like it's the end of the world if they don't get the next greatest phone or system upgrade immediately.  As for tethering, why in the world would Verizon allow it for free?  Unlimited phone data is currently $29.99 while 5 GB of data for a computer is $60.  This is a legitimate source of revenue for Verizon. 

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

Suggesting the use of a Android Marketplace app by a legitimate third-party developer is apparently endorsing something "illegal" huh?  I know corporate influence is high in this country, but I didn't know that something that may violate ToS is now "illegal".  I'll have to find that federal or state statute I suggest breaking. 

-------------------

Please check your Private Message Inbox. It should look like this -->>

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

jimfitzgerald wrote:

These threads are so ridiculous.  Some people act like it's the end of the world if they don't get the next greatest phone or system upgrade immediately.  As for tethering, why in the world would Verizon allow it for free?  Unlimited phone data is currently $29.99 while 5 GB of data for a computer is $60.  This is a legitimate source of revenue for Verizon. 

Or more to the point why DO they allow it for free.  Android and Palm are both capable of this and Android will be capable of it natively soon.  Oh yeah.  Gigity gigity. 

Besides that Verizon's moto is any app, any device on the network.  Real world application of this is iffy but that's the motto and slowly they are proving that they are sticking to it. 

It does get funny and I must say 2.1 was a bit of a let down. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

burt....don't get to upset about the censor....lol....i got "**bleep**" 'ed yesterday for the word {word filter avoidance}and the no, i wasn't name calling. i wrote "this may be a {word filter avoidance} question, but....."....lol. i think they may have some automated trigger words that get censored, and that maybe someone skims through VERY FAST, editing, without really reading the context.

0 Likes
Malyshus

Whereas I might feel the same way about what I believe will happen to the 2.2 update, I didn't start this thread to bash VZW for that.

Now, for the lack of any kind of announcement at all of when they expect the OS to be out does make me anxious.  Although it has only been a week since the announcement itself, I just thought that either the Phone MFG or the Carrier would announce something by now, regardless of how fluid the actual information might be.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i actually googled it earlier and almost everything that came up was just related to the original announcement, so it appears that nobody is saying anything for now. or the few that were speculating, admitted they were jus speculating.

0 Likes