Android 2.2 (Froyo) release date?
Malyshus

Not sure if anyone else out there has been following up on the 2.2 Release information on a regular basis but so far all I can find for a comment on the release is from Motorola(below). 

“We’re excited to see Google’s news of the next version of the Android operating system and look forward to integrating it on our Android-based devices as it’s made available to the open source community.

While I can’t comment on specifics, we do expect DROID by Motorola users will receive Android 2.2 as a software upgrade in the near future.”

Is there any way that we can get something in regards to the update? 

So far I have been unsuccessful in locating any official statements from Verizon in regards to this at all.  Can anyone point me in the right direction if I have happened to overlook it by chance?  I find it hard to believe that there is no information that can be provided concerning a highly anticipated update for what has been their "flagship" Android device.

Surely someone can give us something, I'll even take a "We hope to release it in a month, but we're not sure" right now.  After all the delays with 2.1 it really makes you wonder...

0 Likes
Re: Android 2.2 (Froyo) release date?
onewithshadows

Actually I was just reading today that "it is expected in July." Though, that of course is probably not concrete. I would say just go to Google and search for 2.2 froyo update. You should find all of the most current news post on the update. As far as I am aware though there has been no "official" word of the release date yet. I am also hoping it comes soon after I get my Incredible though. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Malyshus

Yeah I watched the Google I/O Conference on 5/19 & 5/20 in which they announced it's release.  It has come out for Nexus One users already and has been released to all of the developers to start engineering applications for it.  I saw a lot of exciting features with the OS and hope that carriers intend to distribute this to as many devices as possible to maximize everyone's android experience.

I am really hoping to get any word I can from someone here at Verizon on the matter because I do not intend to wait for months on end for this release as well.  If needed I will definitely root the phone and load a  custom ROM as those developers are able to get their products out months before the carriers release them.

I am eagerly awaiting the time that I can move my applications to the SD card for installation and don't have to have them Saved and Run from within my phone's RAM, not to mention the JIT compiler boosting application performance.

0 Likes
sranger

Unfortunately, it is going to be a much longer wait that June/July....  I doubt Verizon is going to allow Wifi tethering unless they figure out a way to charge for it.  I fear that this will delay the update well into the the end of this year of possibly next year....

This delay is going to be very political.....

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
I doubt the teethering issue will be a delay for verizon. There are quite a few that use apps to do the same thing. Anyway, all they have to do is tell HTC, um no teethering for our customers and wam, fixed. No issue, problem resolved. Is the MiFi device that much more than what I pay for my data plan. I don't think so, there is no reason Verizon shoudl even block this feature. On a side note, the SD card for app comment made above. Based on the demos which try and access that feature, they haven't been successfull. Google has commented the feature has been available in android already, but the apllication devloper has to include it as an option. Unless the developer includes it, I don't believe you can move just any app. Engadget had the froyo demo and he was unable to move any of the apps on his phone. I think it is awesome that motorola is planning on offering froyo on their droid. I'm doubtfull it will be offered on the Eris, but I am happy with mine and I can wait and see what new hard ware offers. I have my new every two in a couple months and may quite possible wait longer than that.
0 Likes
Malyshus

I am hoping that the tethering doesn't get blocked as well, I don't really see a need to do so honestly.  In regards to other phones getting upgraded to the 2.2 OS, I personally think that with the addition of the JIT compiler and the fact that the new OS increases the MFLOPS count of most phones by 300+% all phones should get this as a base OS.

I have yet to see the Engaget demo of the OS, all I was able to see was on the Google I/O conference this year which it ran smoothly (no doubt to testing and planning ahead of time).  Either way I anxiously await the OTA update for the new OS.

0 Likes
sranger

Keep in mine that from the time Google released version 2.1 it was nearly 5 months until the Droid recieved version 2.1....

I seriously doubt that this update ( which has a feature verizon hates ) will be any faster...

First Motorola will have to signt off on the new version then it goes to Verizon.  They test it ( and demand that Moto remove anything they don't like ) and test some more,  and some more, etc....

Several months later we get the update...   That is just how it works....

This is why I prefered the Google sales model....  I would have much rather had a Nexus One of Verizon so that you could actually get the updates in a timely manner....   I guess that is why Verizon refused to carry the N1.  It would take them out of the update loop.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm with sranger on this. look for it NEXT YEAR....lol. it's a shame, but it will be some time before we see 2.2. and the tethering will be an issue. a big feature of the incredible is that it can tether (for a fee). vzn won't allow this and maybe the previous post is correct? they can just say "no tethering for our customers." but it still seems like that would cause even more delay? of course, i really have no idea what i'm talking about.....it just seems like that would be an issue?

0 Likes
eskion

Stop worrying about when Verizon will release 2.2.  They will do nothing but screw all of us anyway.  They WILL remove wifi tethering because they want those precious dollars.  Root your phone, and wait for the custom ROM.  Verizon isn't capable of producing a good Droid ROM because they dont care about the customer or what we want.

Be Careful. While our members are generally helpful and eager to provide useful information, Wireless customers need to be cautious on what you decide to download as there is always potential risk that your device may be damaged or void your warranty.

Further, any posted content that states any benefits of why rooting or hacking should be done is also not allowed.

Thank you.

0 Likes
bneals

How so?  I believe that the Nexus One was the first phone to sport Android 2.1 and it was released on January 5, 2010.  My Droid received 2.1 in March.  Where are you getting 5 months from?  Are there Droid owners that still haven't received 2.1?

I agree that it will take some time, but 5 months or next year is just silly.  Verizon will test it and I agree, will likely remove tethering.  What I don't get is why people are killing Verizon.  Sure, I want 2.2 right now too, but we are going to get a free update for our phone and it will likely come before any Sense UI or other custom UI's get theirs. 

0 Likes