A verizon employee SAID WHAT ABOUT UPDATE 2.2 for DROID!!!!!?
JesusJimenez

I've googled "android 2.2" for Motorola Droid and I found this article that said: 

The beauty of having a device like the Motorola Droid is that it doesn’t have a custom user interface, which means that it should get Android updates much sooner than devices that are skinned with custom overlays like HTC’s Sense UI – like Android 2.2 Froyo updates. At least, in theory, that should be the case. So, if you’re a Droid owner watching your plain-vanilla-Android Nexus One counterparts enjoying Froyo, you must be getting impatient. Perhaps even more so after seeing the EVO 4G, which has Sense UI running over Android, gearing up for Android 2.2 next week. Fret not, because you’re going to get your soon – next week, in fact.

Now you’ll be able to enjoy all the features that Froyo has to offer on your keyboard-equipped Android handset. Flash 10.1 player will be at your behest along with improved JavaScript performance on the web browser, making your Internet browsing experience that much better. Additionally, you’ll be able to store apps on your microSD card as well. Overall, the update will likely make you feel like you’re rocking a totally new device.

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the update as Verizon starts to push it out next week, which is close enough to what we heard last month about Froyo going live on the Droid. Way to stay on track Verizon! You’re hustling to keep up with Sprint and the HTC EVO 4G.

Droid Incredible owners, we feel your pain, but given the news for the EVO and Droid, I can only say that it will be any day now. Same for you Droid X owners even though all three Droid deviceswere rumored to be getting the update next week, which conflicts with other reports saying the Droid X will be getting Froyo some time “late summer.”

Although this summer has been the summer of the super smartphones, it also seems to be the summer of Android. Let’s also not forget that, along with the aforementioned devices, the Motorola Droid 2 is also going to be launching quite soon with the latest version of Google’s mobile operating system. Rejoice!"

Heres the link: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/07/30/motorola-droid-gets-some-android-2-2-froyo-lovin-next-week/

and another one that said: 

"Anything Sprint can do, Verizon can apparently do - though we're not going to say whether or not they're better. The nation's top carrier told us Friday that it will push out Android 2.2, also known as the "Froyo" operating system, to the company's Motorola Droidphones next week.

That announcement comes right after Sprint announced they're rolling out Android 2.2 to the company's HTC EVO phones next week as well."

Read full article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367229,00.asp

And I found this at the verizon support website:

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/droid_upgrade.html#a1

a HOW-TO-INSTALL Froyo update!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. Its here. I can feel it. I just cant wait!!!! 

What do you guys think?!! Give me your opinion!!! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: A verizon employee SAID WHAT ABOUT UPDATE 2.2 for DROID!!!!!?
DefiantBlob
Enthusiast - Level 3

Officially you have to have your phone do an OTA update. Unofficially you can do it yourself with an update.zip file on the root of your SD card, you phone knows what to do with it when you restart. That said, you should wait for OTA, otherwise Verizon will say its your fault if your phone has any issues, regardless if the update caused them or not. 

Cheers

[EDIT] 

Also see this post by an admin

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Community-Blogs/Droid-by-Motorola-Android-2-2-Update-this-week/ba-...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Android 2.2 (for Droid) coming out next week?! (starting Monday)?
DefiantBlob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been running Froyo on the Droid for nearly 3 months and it is hands down the best android release yet, and this is the beta version. Its ability to use your processor to the fullest results in a noticeably faster feel overall, with extra power savings when not in use. Apps 2 SD is great, but be warned that not every app can be put on your SD card, the developers must enable support for it in an update. The market has been overhauled for the much much better, splitting the comments into a "tab" and adding a "helpful, unhelpful, spam" ranking system to the comments, the market now supports "auto update" literally updating any apps you check the box on for you. They added tons more features that are too small and too many for me to name, but I love them all. Glad everyone gets to use this soon.

Cheers

[EDIT]

Duhhh, Flash is FREAKIN SWEET. I don't know how i forgot to mention that. its a whole new web. Not to mention my own website is finally viewable by mobile devices. Adobe has this thing polish up and ready to go, you really don't know how much your missing till its dropped on your lap...haha

0 Likes
capvlp99
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought a DROID yesterday (so now I am only a year behind "cutting edge" technology).  The salesperson told me 2.2 would be released on Tuesday (Aug 3).

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

That still stinks. Most of the web including the moto support page stated the Aug 2nd push. It's Aug 2nd and nothing pushed, dumped or dropped on my D1. :smileysad: only thing up is my anger that we're still in the wait mode. An actual link on the forums would be the best way to drop a 45 Meg file. OTA is going to take forever. Give us a link and let anyone with the D1 have at the update we should have received instead of 2.1.

capvlp99 wrote:

I bought a DROID yesterday (so now I am only a year behind "cutting edge" technology).  The salesperson told me 2.2 would be released on Tuesday (Aug 3).

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

JesusJimenez wrote:

I've googled "android 2.2" for Motorola Droid and I found this article that said: 

The beauty of having a device like the Motorola Droid is that it doesn’t have a custom user interface, which means that it should get Android updates much sooner than devices that are skinned with custom overlays like HTC’s Sense UI – like Android 2.2 Froyo updates. At least, in theory, that should be the case. So, if you’re a Droid owner watching your plain-vanilla-Android Nexus One counterparts enjoying Froyo, you must be getting impatient. Perhaps even more so after seeing the EVO 4G, which has Sense UI running over Android, gearing up for Android 2.2 next week. Fret not, because you’re going to get your soon – next week, in fact.

Now you’ll be able to enjoy all the features that Froyo has to offer on your keyboard-equipped Android handset. Flash 10.1 player will be at your behest along with improved JavaScript performance on the web browser, making your Internet browsing experience that much better. Additionally, you’ll be able to store apps on your microSD card as well. Overall, the update will likely make you feel like you’re rocking a totally new device.

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the update as Verizon starts to push it out next week, which is close enough to what we heard last month about Froyo going live on the Droid. Way to stay on track Verizon! You’re hustling to keep up with Sprint and the HTC EVO 4G.

Droid Incredible owners, we feel your pain, but given the news for the EVO and Droid, I can only say that it will be any day now. Same for you Droid X owners even though all three Droid deviceswere rumored to be getting the update next week, which conflicts with other reports saying the Droid X will be getting Froyo some time “late summer.”

Although this summer has been the summer of the super smartphones, it also seems to be the summer of Android. Let’s also not forget that, along with the aforementioned devices, the Motorola Droid 2 is also going to be launching quite soon with the latest version of Google’s mobile operating system. Rejoice!"

Heres the link: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/07/30/motorola-droid-gets-some-android-2-2-froyo-lovin-next-week/

and another one that said: 

"Anything Sprint can do, Verizon can apparently do - though we're not going to say whether or not they're better. The nation's top carrier told us Friday that it will push out Android 2.2, also known as the "Froyo" operating system, to the company's Motorola Droidphones next week.

That announcement comes right after Sprint announced they're rolling out Android 2.2 to the company's HTC EVO phones next week as well."

Read full article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367229,00.asp

And I found this at the verizon support website:

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/droid_upgrade.html#a1

a HOW-TO-INSTALL Froyo update!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. Its here. I can feel it. I just cant wait!!!! 

What do you guys think?!! Give me your opinion!!! :smileyhappy:

seeing how to install on the phone is okay but an actual link to were it can be downoaded and install offline would be much faster,and  reliable. downloading a 45 Meg file on 3G at 2 Mbps is going to take about 22 minutes whereas downloading via VZ FIOS (35Mbps :smileyhappy: ) will take me about 1 minute. I can use the extra 20 minutes to enjoy and explore froyo. just a thought

0 Likes
DefiantBlob
Enthusiast - Level 3

Officially you have to have your phone do an OTA update. Unofficially you can do it yourself with an update.zip file on the root of your SD card, you phone knows what to do with it when you restart. That said, you should wait for OTA, otherwise Verizon will say its your fault if your phone has any issues, regardless if the update caused them or not. 

Cheers

[EDIT] 

Also see this post by an admin

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Community-Blogs/Droid-by-Motorola-Android-2-2-Update-this-week/ba-...

0 Likes
Alicea
Does anyone know if the people that received the update already bought their phones in 09? Trying to figure if their list they going by is starting with people that first bought phone?? I bought in feb this year and just wanna know if I low on totem pole?
0 Likes
bobbypos

I got my Droid the day it was released (or the day after because it was shipped) and I am still waiting for the update.

0 Likes
dro1d1an
Droid update (not for Droid X): support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/moto_droid.pdf
0 Likes
dro1d1an
0 Likes