A note about Contact Sync
MrMRM513

Recently, while taking a rather detailed tour of GB, I noticed a small detail in Contacts the community may wish to know about.

It looks like contacts are synced with Verizon's Backup Assistant by default, and not with Google.

Open contacts and hit the menu button. Choose More / Settings / Contact Storage.

Backup Assistant is checked.

To sync your phone contacts automatically with Google, select that and check Remember This Choice.

Now, if I'm reading this right, Google syncs contacts regardless of this setting, but Verizon wants you to use their backup assistant as well. I avoid that added layer of complexity as Google does a fine job of backing up my contacts on its own.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Digging in the dirt

0 Likes
Re: A note about Contact Sync
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Yea, I guess  don't get the point of that. I think you're right though - you only have 1 choice to make and if you decide to use Backup Assistant, I would think Google would continue to SYNC.

My main complaint though on that screen is the "Remember this choice" does not "stick". every time I add a new contact, this screen pops up again.

0 Likes
MrMRM513

Yep, doesn't stick for me, either.

<rant>

Why can't MotoRizon do what the vast majority of its vocal customers want and stop insinuating themselves into the OS?

Blur is a malformed, redundant complication. Big Red's Bloatware charges for free, impairs the OS, and hobbles the device.

How far would Microsoft have gotten if they loaded their PCs with a UI you couldn't change and software you couldn't delete? Can't MotoRizon remember that for every 1 customer who complains, another 1,000 simply walk away?

</rant>

GRRRRRRrrrr....

Mike

Gradually disillusioned

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
slick, i'd asked cs where to make the choice and they didn't know.
0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
gmail does but items added in gmail don't end up in ba.
0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you all for your feedback and responses.  

Hello MrMRM513,

The Gingerbread update did add different features to the device.  The "remember this choice" option in the contact area will come up every time a contact is added.  There is currently no way to stop this option from coming up.  For clarity, this option is not created to disable the pop up but created to remember the preferred save option (Google and or Backup Assistant) chosen, so in the future you don't have to re-choose you can just press ok and move forward.  Despite the phone being a Google based device if you want your contacts to save to Google it is best to choose the Google option to do so.  If you want to save your contacts to both you can always import/export from one base to another.  If anyone has any additional questions please feel free to reach out.  Thank you. 

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

But the point is that when you click on "Remember this Choice", it doesn't ... it SHOULD so that you don't have to click on that every time ... or what's the point of the dialogue?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
not sure it matters.

i added something yesterday in backup assistant and it's on the phone.
ba is my preferred backup but i just added one in gmail and it's in the phone within moments of adding into gmail, so they both work.
0 Likes