2 Motorola Droids on a family plan, after 2 years, will they both be upgradable with the discount?
welch3694

I'm on a family plan where we got 2 Droids and started a new contract with 450 minutes and unlimited text/data for the 2 of us.

Lately my boyfriend has been saying that we only get one phone at the upgraded price after 2 years. This makes no sense to me. I don't understand Verizon's "New Every 2" policy or upgrade policy, or if that's the same thing or different; after 2 years it would make sense that both of our lines would be able to be upgraded for the discounted price, at least that's how it worked on AT&T before we switched for the Droid.

We got the discounted price for both phones (~$200 each) when we pre-ordered them from best buy in November, so won't they both be elligible for the discounted upgrade when our contract is over?

If not, why wouldn't we just cancel our contract and open another account entirely (maybe in my name this time), if only new customers get discounted phones on each line?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2 Motorola Droids on a family plan, after 2 years, will they both be upgradable with the discoun
rusirius
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, let me try to help you with this...

After 2 years you will be eligible to upgrade BOTH phones at discounted pricing.  The discounted pricing being the same price that you would be able to purchase a new phone if you created a new account (as you just did with the two droids...)

In fact, if your monthly bill is high enough, and you pay your bills on time, Verizon will usually put you in their "VIP" club, which means you get a discount off accessories, plus can upgrade your phones after only 1 year for a small (I think it's $20) fee.  In other words, you'd get the same pricing as an upgrade, but you'd have to pay an additional $20 (may be $50) fee to upgrade a year early.

Now as for the NE2... That's a CREDIT to your account that you get every two years... 

In other words...  The Droid Incredible sells for $299 with a new contract...  Buy it online and you get a $100 instant rebate.  (btw, you should always purchase phones/upgrades online as you get the rebate instantly, and I've had issues getting rebates the old fashioned way from them in the past).  So the Dinc is $199.00 if you sign a new 2-year agreement...

If this was two years from now, and phones were still selling for the same price, and you both wanted to upgrade to the Dinc's, you would both be able to upgrade for $199.00 each...

However, the NE2 credit would also be applied to the PRIMARY line.  I believe it's a $30 or $50 credit depending.  So let's just say it was the $50 Dinc credit you were elligible for after two years and you both decided to upgrade to the Dincs.

His would cost $149.00 and yours would be $199.00... but again, you can both upgrade with the "discounted" pricing. (Dinc sells for $599.00 without a new 2 year contract).

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: 2 Motorola Droids on a family plan, after 2 years, will they both be upgradable with the discoun
hellorockview
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you have a two year contract with Verizon, you are eligible to get a new phone every two years, hence New Every Two.

Whenever your contract is up and you purchase a new phone, you will get it at a discounted price. You won't pay full retail price for a phone unless you buy a new one before your contract is up.

0 Likes
rusirius
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, let me try to help you with this...

After 2 years you will be eligible to upgrade BOTH phones at discounted pricing.  The discounted pricing being the same price that you would be able to purchase a new phone if you created a new account (as you just did with the two droids...)

In fact, if your monthly bill is high enough, and you pay your bills on time, Verizon will usually put you in their "VIP" club, which means you get a discount off accessories, plus can upgrade your phones after only 1 year for a small (I think it's $20) fee.  In other words, you'd get the same pricing as an upgrade, but you'd have to pay an additional $20 (may be $50) fee to upgrade a year early.

Now as for the NE2... That's a CREDIT to your account that you get every two years... 

In other words...  The Droid Incredible sells for $299 with a new contract...  Buy it online and you get a $100 instant rebate.  (btw, you should always purchase phones/upgrades online as you get the rebate instantly, and I've had issues getting rebates the old fashioned way from them in the past).  So the Dinc is $199.00 if you sign a new 2-year agreement...

If this was two years from now, and phones were still selling for the same price, and you both wanted to upgrade to the Dinc's, you would both be able to upgrade for $199.00 each...

However, the NE2 credit would also be applied to the PRIMARY line.  I believe it's a $30 or $50 credit depending.  So let's just say it was the $50 Dinc credit you were elligible for after two years and you both decided to upgrade to the Dincs.

His would cost $149.00 and yours would be $199.00... but again, you can both upgrade with the "discounted" pricing. (Dinc sells for $599.00 without a new 2 year contract).

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

0 Likes
welch3694

Wonderful, this answers my question perfectly, thank you. The New Every 2 was a bit confusing, I had never heard of it before.

0 Likes
LQ_Realtor

I have the primary line on my account and I can get the HTC Incredible for $99.99 after all discounts. I have the $80 per month plan that gives me 1400 minutes. I hope that helps someone out there.  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

LQ_Realtor wrote:

I have the primary line on my account and I can get the HTC Incredible for $99.99 after all discounts. I have the $80 per month plan that gives me 1400 minutes. I hope that helps someone out there.  :smileyvery-happy:

Don't forget that you're also eligible for an annual upgrade since your the primary line on a plan of 49.99 or higher.  That may not be relevant now, but the next time you come up for your NE2, you'll only get $50 off as the NE2 rate dropped to 30/50 for upgrades in Feb 2009.  Gives you a lot less incentive to actually keep your phone for 2 years.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

A lot less incentive.  I always held out for the NE2 so my wife and I could both upgrade at the same time and one of us got $100 off.  Now the best we would get is $50 and it's kind of like I am the only one interested in upgrading constantly and $50 isn't going to help me enough to make me hold off getting something awesome, feeling like a Shmuck with an ancient rock for an extra year while the specs double tripple and quadruple before my eyes and I stop getting upgrades to software and.  . . Ok I am a little tech obsessed but I think it is tied to the testosterone.  Something about that Y chromosome that just makes techy stuff equivalent to shiney stuff. 

0 Likes