Re: 2.2 update, drains battery
dmad1rulz

In addition to ATK, be wary of antivirus if you choose to install it.

I installed antivirus yesterday and afterwhich, my battery just went down the drain and every attempt of me to charge it doesn't work. I put my phone on my dock last night with about 30% and woke up with it only at 60%, not to mention the back of my phone was nice and toasty. There seems to be something in the settings of antivirus that was draining the battery so much that it won't charge even being plugged in. Not sure what I fiddled with, but whatever I did, the battery is now charging normal (went from 60% to 90% in 40 minutes of being plugged in).

So yeah, be wary of apps you decide to install. If your phone does a 180 after a particular install, get rid of it.

0 Likes
Jill4223

I haven't had that problem quite as much but found an app that might be the reason. It's called Advanced App Killer, it's free and after you finish using your phone you bring that up and close all the applications that remain running in the background.  It's one more step but seems to help.

0 Likes
Jill4223

As a caveat to my last post, it appears that everyone seems to have different experiences with the app killer as well as battery life.  This sounds to me like a problem that Verizon and motorola need to figure out.  Have a friend with a Droid HTC and she carries around an extra battery because she can't get an entire day out of it.  That's just not right although my sone with an Iphone has the same problem.

0 Likes
gej1
Contributor - Level 1

GET RID OF TASK KILLER 2.2 HAS ONE BUILT IN THE PHONE RUNS BETTER WITHOUT ADVANCED TASK KILLER,LOOK IN SETTINGS UNDER APP MGT AND SEE WHATS KILLING YOUR BATTERY. SOME APPS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH 2.2.I PLAY WITH MY DROID QUITE A BIT AND AT BEDTIME I USUALLY HAVE 50% BATTERY LEFT

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
@gej1

Haha I have been barking that for weeks now, and so has half these forums, yet people still have them.
0 Likes
MG8192

Has anyone found out what really helps.  Verizon had me factory reset my phone.  Said if this didn't help they would replace my phone.

0 Likes
Not applicable
My battery last all day before and after 2.2. It made no difference.
0 Likes
darrick04
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I first purchased my Droid in February 2010 all the reps around me, including mine were telling me to "be sure to install the task killer app".... so I listened to their advice and installed it.

I read forums, including this one that detest ATK because they say it is a resource hog, it's unecessary and it drains the battery.

My personal experience, the battery has never lasted more than 12 hours (usually about 8 or less hours), ATK or not, 2.2 or not, factory reset or not. The battery in these phones are awful, I even had a new one shipped to me, under warranty and it is no better, in fact it is actually worse.

I love the technology, but between the lagging, freezing, force closing, the constant change over from 3G to 1x, in a solid 3G area, and battery drain, it leaves little to actually love.

0 Likes