2.2 is slower - for certain types of processing
BoShmo
Enthusiast - Level 3

So far the only major complaint I have with 2.2 is that it's slower for certain things. Scrolling through pictures in the camera app is slower. With 2.1 the pictures would show up immediately even when scrolling through them very fast. Also the grid view would load much faster, now i see a blank gray picture for 3-5 seconds before the actual photo loads. Scrolling through my contact list and app list is slower and choppy. Before it was fast and smooth.

Has anyone else noticed these types of issues? Could the amount of processes running in the background cause the "jitter"  during processor intensive usage? With 2.1 I had the bare minimum running in background - maybe 2 - 4 processes and never had any issues. Now, I've disabled ATK - which seemed to help battery life, because of the wonderful programs that auto-restart themselves (such as Amazon MP3, footprints, skype, VZ Navigator, FM Radio, etc...), and have 10-20 processes at most times.

0 Likes
Re: 2.2 is slower - for certain types of processing
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I believe that the froyo sluggishness, of the browser (pgup/down while the browser is still loading images), image viewer, and contacts, is due to the new "keep everything running in memory, and we'll sort it all out (by consuming more cpu) when the resources get low and froyo has to start killing/swapping apps to make room for the current app you are using" theory.;-)
0 Likes
dbeech

Why does Amazon MP3, footprints, skype, VZ Navigator, FM Radio,CITY ID have to populate anyway?

I do not use them but there they are!!!  and the fact that you can't delete them from the phone is arrogant on Verizon's part.

Give us the right to add or delete anything we wish...

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
In the PC world this is known as AdWare and/or SpyWare.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

my gallery has always acted that way. i just thought it was because i have 800 pics???? my apps list and contacts still scroll very smooth.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

w40d1n1 wrote:
I believe that the froyo sluggishness, of the browser (pgup/down while the browser is still loading images), image viewer, and contacts, is due to the new "keep everything running in memory, and we'll sort it all out (by consuming more cpu) when the resources get low and froyo has to start killing/swapping apps to make room for the current app you are using" theory.;-)

actually it requires less CPU power to do it the Android way.  It requires more processes force closing apps then then openning up what you want.  Once a application is in memory it has 0 processes unless you are using it.  If it uses a process then it is collecting data, or doing something you want it to do.

Everytime someone say Task Killers are needed still can't differenciate between process and application under the terms of Linux.  I really do find it funny though.  You NEVER hear people stating you need a Task Killer for OSX, Ubuntu, Fedora, or <insert linux variant here>, but always recommend it for Android eventhough it is a Linux Variant itself.

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3

> You NEVER hear people stating you need a Task Killer for OSX, Ubuntu, Fedora, or <insert linux variant here>

Everyone knows that's because those OSes allow the user to exit applications, as well as also control what applications autorun and autostart.  Doh. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

w40d1n1 wrote:

> You NEVER hear people stating you need a Task Killer for OSX, Ubuntu, Fedora, or <insert linux variant here>

Everyone knows that's because those OSes allow the user to exit applications, as well as also control what applications autorun and autostart.  Doh. 

Most people don't even know how to close the applications when they first get them.  They allow the OS to dictate what happens and when it happens.  You are assuming the END USER knows everything about the OS.

If you go into an Apple Store you can tell how many applications are running if you know what to look for.  Often enough I see almost every application running as people browsing don't know how to close the applications.

0 Likes