2.2 Update - Moving Apps
RHS1974

Has anyone tried to move Apps to your SD card since the update? When I go to Settings; Application settings; Manage Applications; I select an app; the only options I can select are Uninstall; Clear data; Clear cache. The button Move to SD card is greyed out.

Is there another way to move your apps to your SD card and get them off your internal memory?

0 Likes
Re: 2.2 Update - Moving Apps
Wildman
Legend

Not all app supports this feature yet, this is a per app feature because the programmer has to write the command into their app as well because without this information Froyo can not aythorize the move command.

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Wildman is right. 

But, The unfortunate part of this is the way the 2.2 updates were worded.  A lot of people expected to move all their aps to SD card which is just not going to happen with a lot of the apps that don't receive regular updates by the developer.

On a side note, I always read customer reviews before installing or buying an app from market and very often people will refuse or uninstall a great app because it is not able to be installed on the SD card.  Personally, I don't understand that. 

I use my SD card for pics, movies, music etc., so I wouldnt want most apps to take up space on my SD card.  The internal memory is not user accessible anyway and 8GB is a lot of space for apps and contact info. 

Just my preference, but if I have a choice to install an app that needs 5kB or 300MB of data to run, i would rather not use my SD card for that when internal storage is just sitting there.

Dj.

0 Likes
MrMikeM513
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope, I haven't tried to move apps to the card and I really don't plan to.

The Droid X comes with 8 gig on board. Even with 100+ apps already installed on my device, I'm still sitting at 93% free.

Those apps which move lots of data, like browsers, news readers, and the odd standalone dictionary, permit me to store their data caches on the SD card. And I do take advantage of that.

But with so much storage for apps to roll around in, why take the chance moving them to the card?

Just the way I see it is all.

Mike

0 Likes