2.2 Killed My Wifi
bmurr22

Here's the situation I have:

Actiontec MI424WR rev. D (Fios) --> Bridged to D-Link DIR-615  --> Connected to: PS3, Wii, Macbook Pro 10.6.4, Windows 7 64-bit.

All other devices work fine.  My Droid worked fine until I installed the OTA yesterday.  Tried router is B,G,N; B,G.  Also tried auto-scanning of channels vs. fixed channel, changed channel width (N-configuration).  Security set to WPA Personal, TKIP/AES.  Even tried turning on the wireless on that awful Actiontec router Verizon hands out.

My Droid runs into the following loop: Scanning, Obtaining IP, Connected, Disconnected, Scanning, Obtaining IP....etc, etc.  Now it seemed to hold the connection a little better when using B,G vs B,G,N on the D-Link (Actiontec is B/G only no true way to test if N is the issue).

Has anyone else been having weird issues like this connecting to Wifi networks since the OTA upgrade?  It ran fine connected to this exact same network before the upgrade.  Tried forgetting Wifi network and re-typing password.  I don't know what else to try.  I've had this phone since release and I'd hate to have an issue now with another 10 months to go before my new every 2 kicks back in.

0 Likes
Re: 2.2 Killed My Wifi
EricS336

Many people have reported having this issue. Many have performed the factory reset and don't have this and many other issues. Refer to this thread to gain some information before you attempt  to do it. 

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-by-Motorola/factory-reset/td-p/246105

I hope it helps you out.

0 Likes
bmurr22

Thanks for the reply Eric, but I'm not convinced a factory reset will do anything.  I've read a couple of posts and there is one over at BGR about the Droid X having Wifi issues exactly with what I am experiencing with my original Droid ( http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/21/verizon-wireless-droid-x-plagued-by-wi-fi-connectivity-iss...:+TheBoyGeniusReport+(Boy+Genius+Report) ).  In a crazy way I am hoping the Droid 2 has the same issue so they will update the 2.2 release across the board.

Like I said, as soon as I switch to B/G from B/G/N the connection it drops.  I never had this issue for the first 10 months of ownership of this phone and I would fail to see how a factory reset would solve this.  The last thing I want to do is a get a refurbished product from Verizon.  If my product has been working until a software update, I would hope that a software update would not cause a complete hardware failure.

And just to go on further about the BGR post.  Both suggestions in the Droid X problems seem to help.  Either you have to ditch Wireless-N compatibility on the network (includes B/G/N, and G/N) or ditch AES security for TKIP (using both/either or does not work either).

So if modifying settings on a router improves connectivity even a little its hard to believe that a software reset would solve this.  If anyone has other ideas or has a better way to communicate bugs/errors to Verizon, I'm all ears.

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1

Well, you could atleast try a factory reset.

Since you have 2.2 you wont have to load anything back on manually.

Go for it and let everyone know. I got the OTA upgrade and have not had any problems. I have a Netgear b/g.

0 Likes
bmurr22

I might have to try that Cob.  I also posted in the Motorola support forum ( https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/209328#209328 )for theDroid and so far I seem to have been getting more responses of people with the same conclusion.  There are others out there that have problems connecting to B/G/N networks and so far based on what they have posted (I am asking for more clarification from the users) it appears that mixing B/G/N with AES will cause a loop on the Droid's wifi service.  This same statement appears to be true from what I am gathering from Droid X forums as well.

I will also put in a support request to D-Link about the router and will see what they have to say.

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
It is probably a compatibilty issue, since the droid does not use N
0 Likes
rtpnc6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, the Droid DOES use 802.11n with the 2.2 OS. I'm connected now with my D-Link DIR-825 wireless router at 108 Mbps on the 2.4 mHz band.

SSID MAC Address IP Address Mode Rate (Mbps) Signal (%
xxxxxx0026BA6129310.0.0.0802.11n (2.4GHz)108100
0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
Super g
0 Likes
rtpnc6
Enthusiast - Level 3
??? The router does not support Super g. This is really 802.11n.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I have a CradlePoint n router and a CradlePoint b/g travel router. After the 2.2 update, I can still connect to both routers but can only connect to the internet with the n router.
0 Likes