vzn 3g bandwidth unstable
z4alltel

for ev er!!!  i will attempt a short rant since everyone here knows how pitiful vzn 3g is... i have retired from over forty years in high tech computers, electronics, and communications... when i bought into alltel 3g via a usb wireless evdo modem, i was one happy customer.... since vzn has taken over completely, the service has degraded in a major way...  you can set your clocks by the rev A bandwidth dropping to 1xrtt every evening, apparently at peak usage times... there have been so many outages that i have studied, you can see the vzn "teks" messing with the network... over and over again, they are trying to get it back up to 3g, and it fails hundreds of times... i have seen down times over four hours more than once... bottom line is that vzn is not capable of giving us a stable, fast, smooth 3g network... especially when they are pushing marketing to add more customers every day... which makes the failures more often and longer to resolve... from my perspective, it looks like att dsl is faster, by average, than the vzn 3g, which is only occasionally what it should be, what it was under alltel... i will not even complete the two year contract, i will go to att for better service, at a much lower price... that's my take and i am sticking to it! (fyi:running a huawei ec168 in northeast oklahoma)

0 Likes
Re: vzn 3g bandwidth unstable
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

z4alltel wrote:

for ev er!!!  i will attempt a short rant since everyone here knows how pitiful vzn 3g is... i have retired from over forty years in high tech computers, electronics, and communications... when i bought into alltel 3g via a usb wireless evdo modem, i was one happy customer.... since vzn has taken over completely, the service has degraded in a major way...  you can set your clocks by the rev A bandwidth dropping to 1xrtt every evening, apparently at peak usage times... there have been so many outages that i have studied, you can see the vzn "teks" messing with the network... over and over again, they are trying to get it back up to 3g, and it fails hundreds of times... i have seen down times over four hours more than once... bottom line is that vzn is not capable of giving us a stable, fast, smooth 3g network... especially when they are pushing marketing to add more customers every day... which makes the failures more often and longer to resolve... from my perspective, it looks like att dsl is faster, by average, than the vzn 3g, which is only occasionally what it should be, what it was under alltel... i will not even complete the two year contract, i will go to att for better service, at a much lower price... that's my take and i am sticking to it! (fyi:running a huawei ec168 in northeast oklahoma)

I understand your frustration and I am sorry you are having issues with your broadband service.  If I am understanding correctly, it only drops speed in the evenings?   Did this start happening as soon as you was transferred?  If not, how long has this been going on?

Waiting on your reply  :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

0 Likes
z4alltel

vzn 3g has steadily degraded ever since alltel was completely taken over by vzn, although... the last three months have been the absolute worst... very frequently drops in bandwidth to 1xrtt, every evening at peak times, for several hours, less so on the weekends,  except that tonight... i have been stuck on 1xrtt for hours... evdo will not stay up for more than a few minutes... it is well known by now, by so many vzn 3g customers... that this is vzn and there is nothing short of leaving vzn for att that will resolve this issue... there is no way that vzn can justify charging for 3g broadband with such poor performance... alltel was great, vzn is a total nightmare... and, don't even suggest that this is my problem... i am more intelligent than that!  when you can set your clock with the vzn failures every evening... it is not my problem... and the absolute total downtime failures come way too often... i just hope that many millions of others will leave vzn for one of the other providers... btw, if you actually do work for vzn, i don't know how you look in the mirror each day!!!

0 Likes
larrytheG

well it wouldn't be the first time someone has complained about this kind of problem these days.  It appears to me that as more and more folks have discovered 3G ... that  there's been a dramatic increase is customers who have embraced the service and it has caught the providers not fully prepared to ramp up to the demand as quickly as many would like.

I'm not excusing the poor service that some see (and I have to when I travel especially in rural areas) but I guess I'm assuming that we're in a period similar to when cell phones first caught fire and the demand outstripped the infrastructure that was in place.

But I also notice that for 3G problems that how to resolve them with folks like Verizon is a bit murky at best. Part of the angst for some is the degradation of service without being to find out definitively why... i.e. is the tower overloaded and an upgrade planned ... or has the tower developed a problem ... a casualty issue that perhaps Verizon does not yet know about - and there is no defined way of reporting such issues.

When your land-line has problems .. they check the line from their end and send a guy.  But with cell phones and especially 3G... doesn't not appear to be an equivalent way of reporting and resolving problems and I think that adds to folks frustrations.

0 Likes