unlimited mobile broadband
annp

I have  UM175 USB mobile broadband and just set it up with a wireless router. I am concerned about going over my plan's data usage. I have looked to see if there is an unlimited usage plan available, but I don't see one.  Does anyone know if there is? I seem to remember there being one when I originally signed up.

0 Likes
Re: unlimited mobile broadband
Not applicable

There is unlimited internet for cell phones for $29.99.  There is no unlimited for laptops.  The maximum you can get for laptops is 5 GB for $59.99.

0 Likes
mrcape

I have unlimited data plan which does not mean much anymore. Verizon will cut you back to 5-20kb if you exceed 5gb. They are tricky on reporting useage and the popup window showing data useage is erroneous. They have a nasty habit of not resetting their useage counter for 24-48 hours especially on the last days of your monthly total. On your new month day, you will find the counter is still adding and most likely you exceed the 5gb number. Suddenly you will find your data flow is at snail pace and you have not done anything wrong. You can try and convince Verizon they made a mistake but odds are they will just tell you that you will be punished for 30 days at 5-24kb. I just had this happen again and no reply from Verizon support on my complaint. I got about 4 months left on contract and will look for alternatives. Only reason I use their Broadband because I travel alot and is very convient for that. I see the list of unhappy broadband users is growing and most looking for alternatives. I monitor my own useage now with a couple of utilities. If Verizon does not reset their useage counter at the proper time, a consumer will just have to stay off the network until they do. Terrible way to run a business....:

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon, and most other cellular providers, no longer offer unlimited data plans for computers.  The Verizon data usage meter does normally lag a day or two and sometimes 3 or 4 days.  It is a simple matter to download a free copy of NetMeter to keep track of your usage on a "real-time" basis.  Just like everything else in life, you need to manage your usage and pay attention.  Nobody is intentionally trying to screw anyone.  Some people are just victims, and always will be.

0 Likes
Sirreel

It IS a terrible way to run a business. It puts the burden on each individual customer to download extra programs to watch the 'clock'  and basically waste a bunch of time and energy trying to avoid overuse charges. How many customers are we talking about? See http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2010/verizon-reports-strong.html.

• Verizon Wireless has the most retail customers of any U.S. wireless provider.  The company had 87.5 million retail customers at the end of the fourth quarter, an increase of 25.0 percent year over year and 5.7 percent on a pro forma basis.
  • The company also added 1.0 million reseller customers in the fourth quarter, bringing its total number of customers at the end of the quarter to 91.2 million, an increase of 26.6 percent year over year and 7.0 percent on a pro forma basis.

Multiply 90 million customers by the hours each customer spends per year on this problem by the worth of each hour to calculate the burden Verizon is putting on society. Suppose each customer spends one hour per year avoiding overuse charges and each one of those hours was worth 20 bucks. Verizon is costing society 90 million hours x $20 per hour = $1.8 billion in lost productivity, not to mention the indirect costs involved. For instance, what's the rent on 90 million hours of living space? You'd think they could solve this problem fairly easily (and cheaply) on their end and save us all this unnecessary expense. To top it off, the cap is supposed to protect their network. Why do they pawn off on us the responsibility to protect their network for them?

jimfitzgerald wrote:

Verizon, and most other cellular providers, no longer offer unlimited data plans for computers.  The Verizon data usage meter does normally lag a day or two and sometimes 3 or 4 days.  It is a simple matter to download a free copy of NetMeter to keep track of your usage on a "real-time" basis.  Just like everything else in life, you need to manage your usage and pay attention.  Nobody is intentionally trying to screw anyone.  Some people are just victims, and always will be.

What makes you think no one is intentionally screwing anyone in this deal? Saying stuff like that, some might see you as a victim of verizon's advertising.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm just a very satisfied customer with no complaints.  My wife and I have 700 minutes for $70 per month.  I have a USB760 for my laptop that is $60 per month for when I travel.  Last night, I added a third line for $10 and ordered a Droid with an unlimited data plan for $30.  Once I receive the Droid and get it up and running, I'll get rid of the extra phone line and the USB760.  My total cost will then be $100 per month for two phones and unlimited data.  Seems very reasonable to me.  I have Charter cable for home internet.

0 Likes
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

The quality of the service is fine. It's the quantity of it that's the problem. I don't watch the electric meter on my house i just pay the bill when it arrives no matter how much i consume. I won't go broke either way like users of Verizon mobile broadband could. Verizon was making a killing on mobile broadband before they imposed these silly caps that VZ, ATT and Sprint imposed. Something you need to realize is that wired telecom is a dieing breed..

Few people that i know have wired phone lines to there homes. They cancelled and use cellphones. Sattelite TV is cheaper then cable so the only thing that holds alot of people to services like Charter is the unlimited/faster broadband. People need to stop trying to justify and support the idea that mobile communications are just for occasional use or for travelling only.If companies have oversold their service to the point that they cant provide service to all their customers then just maybe they need to upgrade while they have all that excess money they are soaking up thanks to us consumers.

I wish my broadband service was through a coop like my electric/company bill is. We are the share holders who have a voice in all things with our company Verizon doesn't understand that their service isn't a need in our lives but an added expense that we choose to pay. I hope local communties start overstepping them and putting up there own wireless systems and let coops decide to pay what they want for the service instead. We don't have the choice to go elsewhere right now regretfully for our service.

0 Likes
Sirreel

jimfitzgerald wrote:

I'm just a very satisfied customer with no complaints.  My wife and I have 700 minutes for $70 per month.  I have a USB760 for my laptop that is $60 per month for when I travel.  Last night, I added a third line for $10 and ordered a Droid with an unlimited data plan for $30.  Once I receive the Droid and get it up and running, I'll get rid of the extra phone line and the USB760.  My total cost will then be $100 per month for two phones and unlimited data.  Seems very reasonable to me.  I have Charter cable for home internet.

That's great for you. I don't own a cell phone because I can't get reliable service. I have to use an antenna mounted on my roof to pull in the broadband signal. I can't buy a wired (fast) connection at any price - it doesn't exist at my location. Your reasonable scenario is not available to everyone, but of course, you already knew that. There's an odd tone to your posts that makes me think you just like telling people how good you've got it.

Is paying 100$ a month objectively reasonable? That article I quoted from above says verizon's monthly expense per customer is about 27$.  So, you're paying their stockholders 73$ a month - almost 300% profit. Verizon has done a very good job with its advertising if you think you're getting a reasonable deal.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I think two phones, one with unlimited data, for $100 is quite reasonable.  That's $60 for the first phone, $10 for the second phone, and $30 for the unlimited data package.  Which part of this do you think is excessive?  By the way, Verizon lost money last quarter.  If you don't like Verizon, you should leave.  It is foolish to continue to pay for something you don't like.  And it's nobody's fault but your own where you live.

0 Likes
Doodle

Let's all move to the city and put Verizon out of business.

0 Likes