Re: mifi data theft, fraud by verizon class action lawsuit 2012
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

I got a call today from Ben in technical support. LaShelle had contacted him and arranged the call. He told me that Verizon could not be wrong with the usage data, that the data had been received and data had been sent from my computer on the 21st. More than 16 GB. He said some one on the internet could have gotten a program on my computer and was actually able to use my computer as a server. My little laptop. He said he would send me an email with a list of programs for a computer technician to look for on my computer. LaShelle called me and asked if I had spoken with Ben, and I said yes, but I haven't received the email he promised. She said she would contact him and ask him to send it. I just checked my email and I haven't received it. Wade

tytrav
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue about going over my data plan usage! I have used the Verizon Mi-Fi for about four years and I have the 10 GB plan. I might have went over one time in that four year span and then in November four days into my new month I received a text message from Verizon stating I was at 50% of my usage!! Then a couple of days later I was at 75% usage! I made numerous phone calls to Verizon Customer Service trying to find out what was going on and had to upgrade my plan to try to avoid over charges. Key word here is "try" By the time my month was over I had used 30 GB!!!! Was told today by Customer service that the data usage was legit and I did use that much. Never mind that for four years I "might" have went over my 10 GB plan one time. I told them I disagree and want it investigated and was told it was looked at by the Verizon IT dept. and the usage is correct. I thought might as well bite the bullet and I asked how much data have I used as of today and was told almost 5 GB. My new month just started on 12-9-12 ! I live in the county and fortunate enough to have a job and work from home so I need Internet and this is about the only service that is available to me. I honestly have been happy with the service until the last month. I'm not sure what my next step should be? Who else can I complain to about this and actually get results??

prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm 3.5 wks into this mess with my Dad's MiFi on my Friends and family plan.  Actually, this all started Oct 22 when computer was first used after virus removal by Best Buy/Geek Squad.  His MiFi is his only good internet source, as well. 

Verizon's text messaging had somehow stopped just as this started.  It took more than 2 weeks (4 wks into daily overages - 280$$ at least) to get a new modem THAT FUNCTIONED and when it was satisfactorily up and running, the data usage was still nuts (now to the tune of about 700$$), 1.5 GB per day.  My Dad's prior 8 months showed about 5 GB per month,... EVEN THAT, we could not fully explain!!!  AND, the Verizon store was LITTLE help in sorting out his use.   They always warn about streaming video, etc.  When you are just managing Email, watching 1, 2 min you tube video daily and a rare Skype Webcam session.... HOW do you use 5G in a month? 

There are at least 2 and probably many more data monitoring FREE programs out there.  I have not used one yet, so cannot give great advice there.  The one we downloaded is a bit obtuse as to how to actually get it up and running.

So, in our case, usage started just after Best Buy Geek Squad service to REMOVE a virus.  Web Root Software was installed.  There is question about how well it (Web Root) has functioned, but when installed over a serious threat, it may not see that threat. 

HOWEVER, Web Root is the only entity that has been reliable with their follow up and still seems invested.  IT may not be fast, but they are still on board.  Best Buy is creating a HUGE litter box dust storm.  The store has falsely reported the computer ready to pick up.. etc.  Verizon, (VZ) has NEVER responded to a single concern.  NO response to 2 diamond tickets.  NO response to LARGE amounts of info about ATTEMPTS to sort this out.  VZ has NEVER returned a call and NEVER seems to send text messages about data overages...  ALL OF WHICH were automatic up to early October. 

You know, let me just say here, it is REALLY DIFFICULT TO READ?TYPE A 2 LINE THREAD!!!!!

The facts as I can sort out to this point:  Dad and others, generally SR Citizens!!  Seem to have problems with data overages via their MiFi devices.  MY QUESTION, ARE THEY TARGETED?   VZ is interested in nothing but $$$$$$.  They offer no data usage tracking software, nor suggest it.  Once you are in an overage situation, you cannot see ongoing data AND you cannot talk to anyone but Financial services. 

Jury is still out on Best Buy/Geek Squad (clearly they failed to clear A BAD VIRUS), ... mutual finger pointing is at its best.  CLEARLY, VZ has NOT made ANY effort to help its customers. 

BEst of luck to you, but DO quickly look into some type of data transfer software to see ongoing usage.  You as well, probably have a major virus or trojan that is using your data.  (Or, a bad modem which can occur.)  TOO BAD VZ won't help you sort that out!!!

Good luck and stay in touch on this tread.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Hey, pretyppam and tytrav. Pam brought up an interesting point. Obviously at 70 years, I am NOT a SR citizen, I don't care what those mirrors in my home are saying.

I started my last career with BellSouth, now absorbed by AT&T, at 40 years old.By the time I was 60, BellSouth had decided they didn't want SR citizens working for them. They transferred me from sales to tech support. And then only used me to write technical support papers for our competition so that BellSouth could get into the long distance market. I have a plaque on the wall of my computer room from BellSouth congratulating me for 1 billion dollars of revenue through 2000 in sales of just one service, so I did well in the sales part of my career. But 60 years old is 60 years old. The last time they tried to move me I had a talk with a lawyer and told BellSouth I was going to sue them for age discrimination. That got their attention! I've been retired over 10 years, so we might pursue that option. That and not notifying their customers of known hazards with one of their services, namely JetPack.

Options: file an FCC complaint; write the Verizon Wireless President and CEO with your complaint. That's how I started receiving telephone calls, no help, but calls. Then get on your social networks and voice your problems with Verizon.

Having said that, I notice that this forum shows me as RidgeRider sometimes, which is my registered user name, and my real name on my account, which is William J. But the name I am known by is my middle name, Wade.

I once asked anyone with Verizon problems to get in contact with me on facebook.I am listed by my full name. Wade

<< Please do not post your full name in the public forum - if you wish to share that infromation with other Community members, please use the Direct Message feature.  You must request to follow and allow each other to follow in order to Direct Message each other.  >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Bluehouse
Enthusiast - Level 2

All they (VZW) did is we (customers) has computer issue.  I don't understand is why there are so many of us from all over the states got the same issue??  They are not even trying to fix the problems at all.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

The forum has been posting my full name. Sometimes you post me under my user name, RidgeRider, and sometimes under William J. I usually sign my posts as Wade.

"You must request to follow and allow each other to follow in order to Direct Message each other.  >>"

Anybody know how to do that? When I look at any poster's profile it says their email address is not available or blocked. Wade

0 Likes
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wade, I think this is what I tried to do to let people know of the new thread I opened and I couldn't find most of the important contact on their list, only the ones that I WONDER if they aren't VZ moles.   Right off, I don't recall how I did it, but it was done from the VZ forum page. Pam

<< Please remove signature information before posting via email >>

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you look at someone's profile page is there a "Follow" button on the right side? Click it to send them a follow request. That user has a approve it. They have to send you a similar follow request. You have to approve that request. Once you are following each other, then you can send Direct Messages with the user.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your full name will not be posted in this forum as it's against the forum's Terms of Service.  Since private info. such as your full name or e-mail address can't be given in this public forum, the forum uses Direct Messaging instead of e-mails.  To use the DM system, hover over a user's name (in blue) in one of their posts; you should get a pop-up box with additional info.  At the bottom left of that box is a plus sign and the word 'follow'.  Click that, and a request to follow will be sent to that user.  Once they receive that request and accept it, you will receive notification and then will be 'following' that person.  They then have to duplicate that process so they can follow you.  Once you both are following each other, you then can send direct messages to each other that won't appear in the forum, but will just be messages between you.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also your name is visible to you, but not to the rest of the community. If you sign out of the community, you can see how everyone else sees your profile and posts.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes