Re: mifi data theft, fraud by verizon class action lawsuit 2012
pzedoffatverizon
Enthusiast - Level 3

i like the way you think..... i m sure there are a few things floating around in legislation that are pertinent to this situation

0 Likes
MrElvey
Enthusiast - Level 2
  1. There's some confusion about how class actions work.  Class members don't pay the lawyers.  All that's needed to get things started is for one class member to convince one attorney to file a case on behalf of the class, using the member as a class rep.  The attorney (the attorney's law firm) takes on the risk of not getting paid.  Of course, the attorney won't do that unless there's a strong case with lots of class members, and a defendant with deep pockets.  The last two of these three are probably no problem in this case.
  2. I think I read all the posts, and none of them demonstrated an awareness of automatic software updates.  Many operating systems and apps these days will automatically download and install updates.  I see no clear indication of who's keeping what logs - with one exception - kellieh - but as I said, all that's needed is for one class member to convince one attorney to file a case. Lots of class members all providing a consistent story is helpful for convincing attorneys that the problem is real, but it's not strictly necessary.
    *IANAL*
  3. I have tons of archived evidence (PDFs, saved HTML, web archives, and screen shots showing that the Verizon Wireless Account Analysis has not been working, and account logs and posts here showing that I complained about it, and written requests for them to provide the Verizon Wireless Account Analysis feature as advertised.)  If I ever do go over, they're not going to get paid by me voluntarily, and I'd say they're likely to shoot themselves in the foot if they try to force me to pay using the legal system, as I have gobs of evidence that they haven't provided the service they've been billing me for for the past year that I'm happy to dump on the FCC and or into court records or on the web to make or defend an arbitration claim. Anyone want to buy some good legal exhibits?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

wlydblu,

I can continue to comment on a few of your points.

1. I agree that MiFi's are not a good replacement for home internet connections.  The current state of these devices and the billing requires discipline and education to remain a happy user.

3. The MiFi will continue to charge and be "On" as long as there is a USB cable connected to it.  The E Ink display is relyable as long as there is a power source (battery or cable) to tell you if the device is actively connected to Verizon or not.  Blinking Green or Purple lights always mean that the MiFi is moving data, solid Green or Purple lights mean the device is not moving data.  As I charge my MiFi on USB cable (While turned off) I notice that the LED is blinking Yellow.  Yellow LED.  No data is being consumed in this state even though the LED is blinking.  There E-Ink displays a battery icon that is charging and no wireless signal bars.

4. While it is highly unusual for an individual to consume that much data on a 3G connection (without thier knowledge), a 4G LTE connection could burn through that much data with ease.  Its actually pretty easy to burn up more than several GB of data per day if you are uploading photos or streaming HD movies or music.  For example it took me only 3 days to rack up 5 GB of data on a 3G connection when I first purchased my MiFi. I did that to benchmark what it would take to go over my limit.  Habbits carried over from a always on cable connection can really get you into trouble when applying those same habbits to mobile broadband and tiered usage plans.

5. Benefit of the doubt lies with VZW on this one until you can provide evidence that you did not consume the data.  We all are in the same boat.

6. Heres the advice I share with everyone.  Get the Data Log files from VZW.  Compare the time stamps of the sessions with what you normally would be doing at that time of day.  If your logs show you are moving GB of data during times of the day where your MiFi is either "Off" or you are not home to consume the data then you have a case for compensation.  The problem is that VZW can always say that your MiFi was compromised and that others may have been connecting to it without your consent.  The best counter to that argument is that you live in the country and have no neighbors who could physically come within the 30-50 foot range of the MiFi to consume its services.

When it comes to what has been reported on the forums, most are not able to get out of paying for the overages.  You really have to hammer it into VZW and provide evidence by log or service calls that the device was defective or the towers were broken for them to provice any compensation for your troubles.  The most common solution is a free device replacement.  The next most common solution is a discounted or covered early termination fee.  The least common solution is VZW paying for the overages. Most do not (possibly cannot by contract) report back to us if they are ever successful beyond that.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Pz,

I don't think flawed is the best word for describing E-Ink.  The technology is doing exactly what it was created to do.  However, when E-Ink is applied to these devices the result is decieving or misleading according to what our expectations are as users.

The new MiFi 4620 uses an OLED screen instead of E-Ink.  I havent had a chance to read up on OLED yet but I assume it does not behave the same way as E-Ink.  Perhaps Novatel came to the same conclusion that E-Ink was not the best solution for these devices afterall.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Suddenly I am reminded of a great site describing one mans battle against ATT:

http://taporc.com/

Now this is not a class action situation, nor is it an overage issue.  This situation deals with Small Claims court and throttling with ATT.  However, it is helpful to see and understand the kind of research and evidence that needs to be present in order to get a carrier to change thier mind.

boboko
Enthusiast - Level 2

It has been several weeks now. I keep getting hit by sudden phantom loads of over 800M from time to time but consistently, which is TWO ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE above my regular usage (plain vanilla browsing w/o any downloads or streaming). I got claim ID # and was told that somebody will get over to me as the pattern is unusual and there is no explanation to it: no updates were going on, I checked the computer thoroughly for possible viruses with deep scan-nothing found, the hotspot is secured with a password. They said "they are themselves puzzled" and want to "investigate it thoroughly." One of the rep even almost admitted it could be possibly something in Verizon system. The end of admissions.

Nobody called. I asked again (after one more case of the same): No admission. "Nothing is wrong on their side."

I am VERY upset about this "resolution."

I will still consider smashing the thing against the wall : just cancelling the service.

(Yes, the device was connected at the incriminated time, I was using it BUT I DID NOT USE THE DATA. This is a shady practice - theft.  )

Skyemama
Enthusiast - Level 1

My husband and I are using the MiFi Mobile 4510L hotspot for home internet use, because we are in a rural area with no other options other than dial-up.  It has been working flawlessly for about a year; we have the 5G plan and have consistently used only about 2+G per month during this time.  We don't download anything like movies or other big files.  All we do is surf the Web, maybe download an occasional product manual or something of that nature.  However, on Monday of this week we noticed that our usage was at 90% with 4 days to go in the month.  We didn't think that much about it at the time, but we made sure to turn off everything that night.  By the next morning we were already over our limit - how did that happen?  I just looked at the usage again (today is the last day of the billing month) and discovered that we downloaded over 1.5G on May 1!   Our computer locks up when you even try to download a SMALL file.  I too have noticed that even when the device is unplugged and turned off it will turn itself on again in a few minutes.  You shouldn't have to take a battery out of something to get it to turn off.  We as yet have not contacted Verizon regarding this, but are waiting until tomorrow to see what they actually try to charge us.  I had no idea that there were so many people with this issue until I looked at this forum.  If you just go to Google and try to find anyone with this problem, you basically find nothing about it other than all Verizon sites touting their wares...

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Skye,

VZW will bill you for the overage, no doubt about it.  If you read back through this thread you can get some kind of an idea of what it takes to get VZW to change its mind about what they report and print on the bill.  With these devices it is truely charge first and ask questions later.

Turning off your device at night was a good idea when you noticed the surge in data use.  I like to advise that to anyone in a overage situation.  Its one of the best defences that we have when trying to dispute overages.  I wouldn't wait and contact VZW right away before it gets out of hand.  If your device is defective it will be covered by VZW.  Keep a close eye on your data as you move into the next month.  Catch any unusual behavior and bring it to VZW's attention before it is too late.

boboko
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, this is EXACTLY the pattern I observed: for the first three months I had low volume like you report. (Plain vanilla browsing, no downloads and no streaming.) Then, all of a sudden, in the first three days of the next cycle I have consumed next to all of my volume (with one charge of 1.2 GB in very short time). I stopped using it to avoid the overage. Then, shortly before the billing period was over I saw I have still about 1 GB left. Under my regular ordinary usage of the previous months that would last me for two weeks! It was gone withing half an hour!!! It took me even slightly over (I was something 5.017GB). What did I do when I accumulated the huge volume? My high volume activity coincided with CHECKING THE VERIZON ACCOUNT ON MY USE !. Allegedly the volume check cost me half a gig! High on emotion (see above) I called Verizon. They graciously agreed to drop overage this time for the insignificant 0.017GB after I complained about the failed monitoring attempt and huge data inconsistency. It was only because I called IMMEDIATELY that they made the adjustment. I doubt they would drop the overage if I did not complain IMMEDIATELY.

I called many many times about the data volume inconsistency. They play it out telling me "they are concerned for me too" and similar BS. A couple of times they even promised to call me back themselves with the results of their "investigation." They never did. When I do my next call they try to weasel out by suggesting the somebody broke through my password!

The device probably does not deserve to be smashed against the wall. I believe it needs to be aimed against a moving target for a better impact.

When I cannot use the hotspot w/o fear of being robbed, which it is what it is  - I am not using it. Hence I will push for termination without premature fee. For faulty device /faulty service.  This thread will help

VerizonFraudInvestiga
Enthusiast - Level 3
Re: Excess data usage with Mi-Fi  

Just wondering where you are with all this....pzedoffatverizon

I saw this forum after I had posted

in Broadband & Netbook Community

similar subject & post for some more information and feedback

Bandwidth Usage excessive????? HELP

0 Likes