iPad w/tethering trounces 4510L
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

When they announced that the new iPad would have LTE and support tethering, I jumped with both feet. Boy, am I glad I did!

I had the notorious "dormancy" issue with my 4510L ever since 2.23 came out (it was worse before that), but even when it was working, I thought I was doing really well when getting 10+ mb/sec.

With my iPad, I find now that it's unusual to get less than 15 mbps, and the highest speed I've seen so far (mind you, it's only been 3 days) has been 28.8 mb/sec. And yes, that's with a speed test running on a tethered device.

It turns out that I'm probably going to use my iPad on its own more than I'm going to tether with it. That is counter to what I would have originally predicted, but even so, so far it's been more reliable, and a damn sight faster than the 4510L it's replaced.

0 Likes
Re: iPad w/tethering trounces 4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

That sounds like a good review for the new iPad.  Since you pay alot more for that device I'd hope they could afford to put in better radio parts too.

By tether I assume you mean a USB cable connection from the iPad to another device?  I wasnt aware iPads came with USB ports other than for charging.  What kind of speeds do you get on the tethered device if the iPad is performing above 15Mbps? 

I'd be curious to know what kind of logging the iPad had for connection logs too.  It would be interesting to know if Dormancy is a feature built into only Novatel products, only MiFi's or if its a new feature of all VZW's LTE devices.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can tether to the iPad with either a USB cable, bluetooth or WiFi. I'm using WiFi. Only very occasionally do I see speed tests on tethered devices (via WiFi) dip under 10 mbps. Often (though not always) they're in the low 20s, and my personal best is 28.83 mbps.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

There doesn't seem to be any connection logs available to the end user. I sort of assume that the iPad has lots of diagnostics that are available to Apple store geniuses, as is the case with the iPhone.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Neat.

So the definition of tethering appears to have changed along with these new iPads.  I'd assume that Bluetooth would have the lowest performance of the three choices, but I've never benchmarked a bluetooth internet connection before.  Since WiFi has the typical wireless overhead, I'd assume USB is the fastest choice too.  Not like its noticeable at speeds over 20Mbps anyways.

Too bad about the logging features.  Perhaps we will stumble apon them if a problem ever comes up.

Keep us posted if your signal ever starts to degrade or give you problems.  The iPad isnt necessarily a Broadband device or a netbook but I'm always happy to chime in on anything that I can.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the past, whenever there have been questions or problems with iOS devices, I've always found the genius bar to be able to explain what's going on. Like I said, they have access to extensive logs that aren't exposed to the user. And, of course, they have at least a more direct conduit to the engineers writing the code than we have with the MiFi (Novatel won't give an end user the time of day). They haven't always had an immediate fix, but all in all, the support I've gotten from them since day 1 of the original iPhone is a good chunk of the reason I keep buying them.

0 Likes