error 1720 appears when install ing usb 760
big_peto

I keep getting 1720 error when installing 760 on my hp laptop running 64-bit vista home premium. i do not get the usual auto-play window that pops up when i plug in the device on any of my usb ports. I have to open up the file myself, and soon after I get the error that an installation script is missing and the installation rolls back, then vz mgr continues to complete the installation after I just cancelled it. After it installs, vz mgr opens as usual, but then it will not detect the device. Last year I had the pantech um175 installed on this same laptop, and never had any issues with it (I lost the modem). After several calls to tech support, I was told:

- I need to download the vz mgr from the website according to the device = same problem as before

- I need to stop/turn off anti-virus (panda cloud anti-virus) = same problem as before

- I need to turn off windows firewall during installation = same problem as before

- I need to download the vz mgr from the website according to the device, but instead of "run" during install, I should save it to my desktop and then install = same problem as before

- I need to burn that file to disc and then install = same problem as before

- I need to right click the vz mgr icon from my desktop, go to properties and change the "compatiablilty" to win xp sp2 = same problem as before

- Try the other os's in the "compatibilty" to the others to see if that might work

On one occasion, the laptop did recognize the modem, but then a window appeared that I need the install c/d to install some files (what c/d??). In device manager, it does recognize the modem....need help please..

0 Likes
Re: error 1720 appears when install ing usb 760
PhoneNerd

Have you tried it on a diffrent PC? If you have and it is still not recognizing it then you have a faulty data card. If it works on a diffrent PC then try clearing out your COM ports by doing the following. from the command prompt:

To get to your command promt go to start, on the search bar type CMD

1. Type "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" in the Command Prompt and then press.(Leave the qoutes out)

2. Type "\Windows\system32" in the Command Prompt and then press Enter.

3.Type "start devmgmt.msc" in the Command Prompt and then press Enter

4.Click View > Show hidden devices. This will display devices that are not connected to your PC

5. Now if you expand the section on COM ports, all the COM ports that have ever
been created will be displayed, the non present ones being in grey. You can
uninstall away anything that you don't want (right click, select uninstall).

Normally COM1 and COM2 are used by common devices and should not be removed
0 Likes