determine current broadband use
WWCody
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have the USB727 card.  How does one determine the use so I don't run over?  Right now, the billing says 0 and the verizon account manger lists zero and says the card and says the connection is dormant even though I am using the card. 
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: determine current broadband use
WWCody
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a follow up to the previous message on getting information on broadband use from My Verizon.  As sinnap said, there is also  information on the VerizonAccess (VA) utility. 

Click on the VA icon to open up the utility.  On the icon bar at the top (just below the menu bar)  is an icon saying "usage".  That gives the same total as the information on MY Verizon but is much more direct.  Like the My Verizon information, it can be 12 to 24 hours earlier, not  the up to date information.  You can also get here by clicking "view" on the menu bar, then selecting usage:  same screen opens. 

To get data on your current session, click on "options" on the menu bar, then select "statistics" in the drop down menu.  The new window that opens shows the data for the current session: the third line under the graph shows the MB sent and received up to the current moment of the current session.  If you disconnect from the internet and then reconnect, that number goes to zero.    The graph also gives you an idea of how much data is being transmitted at the moment.  If you are downloading something big, like a movie, it will show you how rapidly you are using up your data allotment.

I have not figured out the log utility.  It shows stuff from a couple of months ago.  Maybe I just am not starting the card properly to use this.  Any advice would be welcome.  Regardless, I do not know how to get information on the gap between the what I used up to 12-24 hoursw ago and the start of the current session.  If you loose connectivity for the current session, I think you might just have to wait. 

Other than the issue of know what you have used, the card works very nicely. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spinnap
the best and most accurate is on ur my verizon. which takes about 24 hrs to update. Your vzaccess is also accurate but you will have to sign off for it to read the last use. Its just easier to read at verizonwireless.com and click on my verizon. Remember youget 5 gig which is 5,120 mb
0 Likes
WWCody
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, sinnap, for the useful information. Part of my problem was finding the information in the first place.  The other part is not knowing until 12 to 24 hours later how much I have used.  That can be expensive if I am pushing the edge of the monthly allotment.  I have finally figured out how to get access to the information on My Verizon (MyV).  I can also get access to the current session on Verizon Access (VA) but not to previous sessions.

To help those who are equivalently challenged, here is a script for finding the information on MyV.  I may send a second message for VA but if someone can provide more authoritative guidance before then, so much the better.

After logging into Verizon Access, you will see a screen with a center box labeled "my services" and showing a picture of a device. Next to that picture is a box with the telephone number for that device.  If you have multiple devices and the one shown is just your cell phone and not the modem for broadband, you need to select the telephone number for the broadband modem.  Only then will you get to the MB used.

Click the down arrow at the right of the telephone number box and then click on the number for your broadband modem.  The screen will refresh and a new page will come up.  Confirm that page is for the device you want by checking the number.  Then scroll down to the box on the left that says "Cell Usage".  In my case, that always reads zero because, of course, I am not making cell phone calls and am using no minutes.  Don't take no for an answer.  Instead, go to the bottom of the box and click the link that says "view my usage". 

The screen will refresh to yet another window that says "My current usage".   Confirm that is for your broadband device and its number.  It will confirm for you at the top that no minutes have been used.  Scroll to the bottom where a single line shows use in MB up to day and time.  In the day or so I have used it, the time seems between 10 and 24 hours before the current time, as sinnap warned. 

But wait, there's more! If you want more details on individual sessions, click on the link that says "View Data Details"-NOT the links above that say Call Details or Message Details, just the data details. 

Now yet another window opens with a list of days, times for a block of use, and MB used in that block.  Note that the actual blocks listed may change after a day, apparently consolidating some smaller blocks.  The total remains the same.  That is the end of what I think I know.  Corrections or additions will be welcome.

I will try to figure out how to get more than the current session's use from VA but if someone has other suggestions or corrections to the above, they are welcome. 

0 Likes
WWCody
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a follow up to the previous message on getting information on broadband use from My Verizon.  As sinnap said, there is also  information on the VerizonAccess (VA) utility. 

Click on the VA icon to open up the utility.  On the icon bar at the top (just below the menu bar)  is an icon saying "usage".  That gives the same total as the information on MY Verizon but is much more direct.  Like the My Verizon information, it can be 12 to 24 hours earlier, not  the up to date information.  You can also get here by clicking "view" on the menu bar, then selecting usage:  same screen opens. 

To get data on your current session, click on "options" on the menu bar, then select "statistics" in the drop down menu.  The new window that opens shows the data for the current session: the third line under the graph shows the MB sent and received up to the current moment of the current session.  If you disconnect from the internet and then reconnect, that number goes to zero.    The graph also gives you an idea of how much data is being transmitted at the moment.  If you are downloading something big, like a movie, it will show you how rapidly you are using up your data allotment.

I have not figured out the log utility.  It shows stuff from a couple of months ago.  Maybe I just am not starting the card properly to use this.  Any advice would be welcome.  Regardless, I do not know how to get information on the gap between the what I used up to 12-24 hoursw ago and the start of the current session.  If you loose connectivity for the current session, I think you might just have to wait. 

Other than the issue of know what you have used, the card works very nicely. 

0 Likes
allman

You can't.....thats why it sucks...no real time....good luck I just waited four days for an update...no lie.

0 Likes
BAN
Enthusiast - Level 2
the easiest way to get the most up to date usage is to disconnect from your session then click on the "log" button on vz access manager that will give you real time sessions and you can select a date for the sesions you want to view and even clear all the sessions so at the start of your new cycle if you hit clear it will take out all the old stuff and now you have up to date usage.  i found this updates imediatly as soon as you end a session.
0 Likes
WWCody
Enthusiast - Level 2
For some reason, my log no longer registers: it stopped a couple of months ago.  The Verizon search response to "Log"just says it exists, not how to turn it back on.  I suppose a phone call to customer service is in order.  Any clues as to what I can do to restart it would help.
0 Likes
BAN
Enthusiast - Level 2
did you try removing and reinstalling vz access manager that might help beyond that i do not know that would be a question for tech support probally.
0 Likes
LarryK

Why doesn't Verizon have a monitor program that emails the user when they're 80% of monthly max. My credit card company does that? Any ideas where I can get the answer to that question?

Thanks,

0 Likes