With Share Everything, can I connect my phone directly to MacBook for Internet?
cgclhb

I have a Samsung Convoy and wonder if I can connect my phone to my MacBook using the USB/micro USB cable that came with my phone charger, so that I can use the Internet on my laptop away from my home internet service? Or is the only way to do this to purchase a Jetpack and connect through that?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: With Share Everything, can I connect my phone directly to MacBook for Internet?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If your phone has a mobile hotspot feature or tethering chances are you have to pay for and activate that service first.  Once you have everything enabled you should be able to share your connection with other devices.

A JetPack would to connect anything that has a wireless network card to the internet.  I'd suggest falling back on this option if you figure out that your phone cannot support a mobile hotspot feature.  Jetpacks will only provide you additional value if you hope to connect two or more devices at the same time, otherwise your phone will work fine as a modem.

0 Likes
Re: With Share Everything, can I connect my phone directly to MacBook for Internet?
Not applicable

John Getzke wrote:

If your phone has a mobile hotspot feature or tethering chances are you have to pay for and activate that service first.  Once you have everything enabled you should be able to share your connection with other devices.

Mobile Hotspot is included with Share Everything.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Convoy is a basic phone and is not mobile hotspot capable.

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Well, it seems that you may use the phone via the bluetooth modem networking feature as well as other possible configuration modifications located in the advanced section of the network preferences.

If your Macbook Pro is Lion or Mt. Lion or 64-bit with Snow Leopard, you may want to reboot the Macbook in the 32-bit mode. This can be done by pressing the 3 and 2 number keys while it starts back up.

Also, from the vzam.net site there is a link for the VZAccess Manager for the Convoy 2, not sure if this is yours but you may view the listing to see if it's available, if so then that's your easy fix.

If it's recognized when plugged in via the Network Preferences, you may be able to configure it as a Generic USB Modem as the Vendor and EVDO support as the model.

Maybe some of this helps a little bit.

0 Likes