Where is admin page for changing signal type?
mmnewman

I'm experiencing an interminable back and forth with Verizon support trying to get my new iPad mini to talk to my MiFi card and I['m hoping throwing it to the boards will move things along a little quicker. Latest twist was their direction to log in to the "admin page" to change the broadcast type. Sounds simple enough but as with most things with Verizon's website, I cannot for the life of me find anything named--exactly or similarly--"admin."

Can anyone tell me where this mysterious "admin page" is or even more specifically, where the page is for changing the "signal broadcast type"?

thnx

0 Likes
Re: Where is admin page for changing signal type?
budone
Legend

What happens when you turn your iPad's WiFi on.

Does it find the MiFi?

If so, what happens?

Have you entered the correct password into the iPad to connect to the MiFi?

0 Likes
mmnewman

Please, just answer the question I posed. As I said, I've already gone through all of the rudiments with Verizon.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If you offered add'l info, someone may be able to answer. Good luck

0 Likes
mmnewman

You don't seem to realize you're looking to answer questions I didn't ask. The question was: "Can anyone tell me where this mysterious "admin page" is or even more specifically, where the page is for changing the 'signal broadcast type'?"  How much more information do you need?

Hey well, never mind. I finally dug through Verizon's horrendous website and uncovered it. Of course there seems to be no option for changing the broadcast signal so I remain at a dead end.

So THIS question still remains: How does one change the signal broadcast type? Nothing more. Nothing less.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

All MiFi's can be accessed by typing the default gateway into a supported web browser.  For example, most default gateways will be set to 192.168.1.1.  You can also try mifi.admin or vz.hotspot depending on which model of MiFi you have.

Change the 802.11/Wireless Mode

1. Sign into your MiFi
  2. Click the Wi-Fi tab
  3. Change the 802.11 mode from B+G+N to B+G
  4. Click Apply
  5. Test your connection

Please let me know if you need more clarification.

0 Likes
mmnewman

Hi--

First, thank you for being the person to finally tell me where to find this B G and N nonsense. I was on the phone with Verizon at one point and was told a tech person had told my phone helper that there was no way to change this even if I could find it. I know, right?

But besides all that, after digging around for something else--and after having given up on the B N G thing because I was told by Verizon it was fruitless--I looked up an there after the "802.11" I saw, lo and behold, various settings for same with different combinations of B N and G after it. Nice. However, my enthusiasm was quashed when I saw it was already set to B+G. Regardless, I tried all sorts of combinations of B N and G after 802.11 and nothing ever worked.

HOWEVER!...after reading various other webpages and support areas I decided to try one last thing. I just removed the password requirement and made it an open network. Well, guess what? I can now sign on with any and all devices including the previously offending iPad Mini.

So yes, anyone can now piggyback on my network (if it's on) but since I mostly use it in the car while traveling...whatever. Lose the password and away we go!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If the password was blocking your devices from connecting then you may want to try a different password type.  I'd highly recommend trying out WPA2 or WPA to secure your MiFi.  WEP is a joke and isnt even worth using.

If you cannot get WPA2 or WPA to work then you might as well leave it open and be careful where you use the device.  You could also consider using the built in MAC filter feature so that only your allowed devices can connect.  Let me know if you are interested in learning more about that feature.

0 Likes
mmnewman

Actually I believe I tried WPA2 or WPA, whichever it wasn't already set to and that didn't work either.

Sure, I enjoy learning new things anyway. And if it helps here, all the better. I've seen MAC filter mentioned somewhere along this road I've been on but didn't follow up on it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Try the following steps to add some additional security to your open device.  With a MAC filter only the devices that have been added to the Trusted Client List will be allowed to complete the connection to the MiFi.  Its a little tedious to maintain if you have multiple devices, but it will help to stop random folks from mooching on your data plan.

Look up MAC Address

1. Navigate to Start > Run > “cmd
  2. Type “ipconfig /all” and press Enter
  3. Record your Physical Address for your Wireless LAN Adapter
  4. It should be 12 characters long, 6 groups of 2
  5. Close the cmd window

Enable MAC filter

1. Sign into your MiF
  2. Navigate to Security > MAC Filter
  3. Check the Enable MAC filter checkbox
  4. Enter the MAC Address of your wireless devices
  5. Click Apply