VZAccess Manager on a Mac, trying to connect to phone, how to stop it?
craigfrompa

Hello,

I have a UMW190 USB device that works fine, installed the VZAccess Manager on my Mac, running latest OSX.

Broadband connect works fine, but ever since I installed the VZAccess Manager, I get constant connect/disconnects to my cell phone.  That cell phone is not part of the plan (other carrier, not used for any data access). 

This occurs even when I have not launched VZAccess Manager.  I had received a prompt in the manager where it detected the phone, but I had not way to configure anything that appears to say ignore it.

Wonder if anyone else on a mac has run into this and if they had any suggestions.

thanks

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: VZAccess Manager on a Mac, trying to connect to phone, how to stop it?
craigfrompa

Answering my own question at this point

went into the System Preferences, and removed items that did not seem to apply, both in the Network and Bluetooth preferences.

What I suspect is the installation of VZAccess Manager assumed that I needed to configure the phone, even though that phone was not related to the Verizon service

0 Likes
craigfrompa

Declared victory too early

it appears that this behavior is back

seems to be tied to VZAccess Manager, because when I launch VZAccess Manager it detects my Nokia phone and asks to config it, but everything is greyed out so I cancel it.

so I suspect VZAccess Manager is trying to connect the phone, I delete the phone from my Bluetooth paired devices, and I keep getting prompted to pair the phone.

If anyone has seen this behavior and resolved it, feedback appreciated.

0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

One way you can try to resolve this would be to turn off the Bluetooth connection on your phone. Once it is turned off the computer should no longer be able to detect your phone. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
craigfrompa

thank you for the feedback

yes when I turn off bluetooth is is not available, and so that stops that constant connection/disconnection

I do use the bluetooth on my phone regularly (sync with laptop, connect to the system in my car) so usually keep it enabled.

coincidentally by screwing around with the bluetooth and VZAccess configs, it has stopped for the time being, but of course it was not clear what made a difference.  I did try to turn off the wifi in VZAccess, not sure how that might be related to the bluetooth but for the time being it is not doing that connect/disconnect.

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Go to Options>Preferences from the VZAccess Manager.  Select Wifi and deselect the Wifi control.  Auto connect presendence should be disabled.

Make sure there is None in the VPN and under Connectivity, deselect the Wifi auto connect, set the WWAN to manually connect.

This should stop the VZAccess Manager from trying to control everything.

0 Likes
craigfrompa

Well I have at least came to the realization that the install of the VZAccess Manager put a start up item in my login, so it was always launching.  I have deleted that.  

One thing that triggered me to think about the startup item is that when I have been shutting down, it seems to get stuck, and it seemed to be related to my bluetooth phone (not a Verizon phone) that somehow it keeps reach out to it.

So anyway, have deleted the start up item in the login, so hopefully it quits detecting my non-Verizon bluetooth phone.

0 Likes