VZ Access crashes computer
JCW

I am trying to tether my Blackberry 8830 to my laptop, having a hard time. 

I install the VZ Access software, connect the BB to laptop, everything works great.  Then I disconnect BB, turn off computer.  I reload VZ Access and connect BB but when I click on "Connect" in VZ Access, I get a blue screen crash on the PC. 

I have tried this on a Toshiba and a Compaq computer running Vista and an Acer running XP Pro, same result every time.  I have spent hours on the phone with Verizon tech support but no progress. 

I was using the 7.0.4 version of VZ Access from the web site but I also tried installing the software from the CD that came with the BB, which then updated to 6.7.3 2010C RIM version.  There were a couple of detail differences between what happens between 7.0.4 and 6.7.3 but effect is the same, perfect connection when I install the software and then blue screen crash every time afterwards.

Has anyone seen this?  Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: VZ Access crashes computer
Protege
Contributor - Level 1

Do you have your blackberry modem and usb drivers installed?

Were you able to tether your phone as a modem before?

Have you tried plugging your usb cable into a different USB input on your PC?

0 Likes
JCW

Thanks for the questions, here is what I have done.

Do you have your blackberry modem and usb drivers installed?

I have installed the Blackberry Desktop software. I also downloaded and installed specifically the USB drivers once but my understanding is that they are also included in the Desktop package.  The first time I connect the Blackberry after I install the software, I get the message in the tray that the drivers are being installed and then that finishes and I am told that the installation is complete.  At that time I am able to use the tethered Blackberry as a modem and the computer is able to charge the Blackberry, which it can't do if the USB drivers are not installed, so it appears to me I do have the Blackberry modem and USB drivers installed.

Were you able to tether your phone as a modem before?

I am able to tether the BB as a modem each time I do a new install of the VZ Access software on each one of the computers I have tried this on.  The problem is that once I disconnect the BB and shut everything down, I cannot reconnect.  If I try, I get the blue screen crashes.

Have you tried plugging your usb cable into a different USB input on your PC?

Yes, not only have I installed the software and done the installation on the three computers (2 Vista, 1 XP Pro), I have also tried using each one of the USB ports on the Toshiba laptop running Vista.  Same result on each port, perfect modem connection when I first install the software, then blue screen crash on any subsequent attempts to use it.

0 Likes
Protege
Contributor - Level 1

How old are your computers, when was the last time that you resinstalled your operating system/defragged/reformated your computer?

What other applications are also running in the background when VZ access manager is running

0 Likes
JCW

The Toshiba (running Vista) is three years old, I think I reinstalled Operating System about 1 1/2 years ago.  The Acer that runs XP Pro is older than that but I reinstalled its Operating System this year.  The Compaq that runs Vista, however, is brand new, I bought it just a couple of weeks ago and the only software I have installed on it is Microsoft Office 2007 and McAfee. 

The Toshiba has a bunch of stuff running in the background but the Compaq only has McAfee and the regular Vista stuff.  The Acer is the same, only the regular XP background programs.

I get the exact same result on all three machines.

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
When you see the blue screen of death (BSOD), there is usually a driver or application name, I believe on the lower left. This may help point you in the direction of the failing software. Usually, drivers cause the most BSOD issues.
0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't know if this will help at all, but I always plug in my USB760 modem before I start up the VZ Access software.  When I'm finished, I close down the software and wait for it to totally shut down befoe I unplug the USB760.

0 Likes
JCW

I am out of town now, when I get back I will try to look at that.  I have looked but it goes by so fast that I can't see what it says.  Back in the MS-DOS days I seem to remember you could press Ctrl-S to stop the computer during the boot-up procedure so you could read what the confit and init files were doing. Will that work to hold the blue screen so I can read it?  Also, I notice it says it is writing a log file documenting the crash but I don't know where those log files end up.  Does anyone know that?

0 Likes
JCW

That is what I always do also.  In fact I am writing this on my company computer using VZAccess with that technique.  It works fine on this computer but it won't work on my own computers.

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

To ensure the BSOD display stays up:

Right-click on My Computer on the desktop or in the Start Menu, choose Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery area near the bottom of the window
Make sure "Automatically restart" is unchecked
Ok on all windows saves the setting
0 Likes