USB Wireless Modems
JAD

We have three older wireless modems being used and currently evaluating the MC760. We are using these devices on remote machines in the field. Two problems have surfaced recently, one with the ability to control automatic SW/Firmware updates and two the Modems supplied Net Address (sudo MAC Address) is not unique. We are looking at getting many more but need this issues resolved first.

Is there a way to completely turn off automatic SW and Firmware updates? We would do this only when a tech is onsite.

Is there a way to set the Net Address which comes from the modem? Our older modems allowed for this because of a virtual local area connection was created, but the newer MC760 does not seem provide the same functionality.

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: USB Wireless Modems
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
The MAC address you listed is generated by the PPP stack in Windows XP. From what I have searched around, there is no way to change this. I believe the reasoning is that PPP is a point-to-point connection and doesn't physically use a MAC address; that the MAC is only put in there to satisfy various software that looks for it.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t624157.html

View solution in original post

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
Could you please give us more info?

Which software/firmware updates are you referring to? Of the modem, VZAccess manager, or Windows Updates?

The modem uses the Point to Point Protocol (PPP), and the software assigned the pseudo-MAC address upon connection. Are you saying that on multiple PCs, you have the same MAC address? You want a different MAC address on each?

Thank you for providing the details.
0 Likes
JAD

We are seeing the same pseudo-MAC address on multiple PCs and we need the MAC address to be unique for all. the software is assigning "00-53-45-00-00-00" for all.  The ipconfig /all command returns two addresses, this one and the LAN connection which is unique.

VZAccess Manger v6.9.8 (2132e)

Novatel Wireless Modem

Model: MC760 VERIZON

Firmware: Q6085BDRAGONFLY_V114 (Aug 05, 2008)

PRL Version 51405

ERI Version: 4

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
The MAC address you listed is generated by the PPP stack in Windows XP. From what I have searched around, there is no way to change this. I believe the reasoning is that PPP is a point-to-point connection and doesn't physically use a MAC address; that the MAC is only put in there to satisfy various software that looks for it.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t624157.html
0 Likes