Speedtest results
ratkil

I am going to start posting speeds cause at times it's so frustrating as to be funny:

Today we have 4 of 5 bars, -91dBm Download is .18Mb/s (no, I am not making that up) and upload is .33 Mb/s

Luckily I just upgrade firmware tonight so maybe the disconnect problem that Verizon says doesn't exist will have gone away.

Carry on....

Edit: Update, the problem didn't go away, already one disconnect in 5 minutes

0 Likes
Re: Speedtest results
larrytheG

Just because you have a good signal .....does not mean you will have a solid bandwidth.  In fact, you can have the opposite - a marginal signal but very good bandwidth.  The two are not the same.

Sometimes the bandwidth is skinny because the tower is getting heavy use...lots of users ... and/or some users using bandwidth-intensive applications.  

Sometimes the tower may not have robust bandwidth - like perhaps one in a rural area.

and ...sometimes the tower may be having problems...

We'd need to have a more analytical version of "speedtest" to tell us which tower we connected to and what's it's max capacity is and it's current load as a percentage of it's max capacity.

so if you connected to a tower and it had a 90% load .. you'd know the crummy bandwidth is due to heavy demand.

or if it said it was only 10% load but the download/uploads were still crummy then maybe the tower has a equipment issue.

Just FYI - I've tried my own MiFI2200 at a variety of locations - urban, suburban and rural and invariably the rural towers have pretty crummy bandwidth which leads me to believe that some towers are very very robust and capable of serving heavy demand while other towers or bare basic minimal... 

which is yet another thing we don't know when we connect...   eh?

0 Likes
ratkil

You do have some very good points, thanks for the input.  I would guess it's equipment more than load, as I am in the middle of the boonies.  2 miles further than Cable or DSL will go.  I have to be honest I haven't had much complaint about the MIFI until last week when it started dropping connection.  The 5gb cap prevents really anything more than browsing and some gaming, not like anyone will be downloading movies or something 🙂 

On the flip side, today is a good day Download is 1.21Mb/s and upload is .31 Mb/s ping still crappy at 253.  The disconnect problem may have been solved by firmware upgrade though, still waiting till heavy use for all day to see.

0 Likes
ratkil

Thought today was good day, was wrong.  MIFI back to old tricks and steady stream of disconnects 3 in last 10 minutes.  Download currenlty .70 Mb/s upload .30 Mb/s.  On flip side ATT tethered blackberry rock solid, luckly as I can post on here via it....

0 Likes
buhgey

Sounds just like my speeds, if not better.

I have a good singal (-78).

Slower than dial up it has been recently.

0 Likes
HaloQueen0216

Have any of you guys done the speed test wirelessly and then connected through USB?

I did this last night and wirelessly the speed tests were horrible-

*.33mbps (Thats slower than dialup!!!)

But after I connected it to USB

*1.5mbps (still isn't great but I am in a very rural area so I'll take it!)

Try it out

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I range from about 200k to just over 2Mbps with a Mifi2200 with pings from 98ms to 3k+.  Definitely an unstable connection.

0 Likes