Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
Residential 5G not failing over to 4G
camelspiders
Enthusiast - Level 2

Install complete on Halloween; things have been going well so far. Today there was a 5G outage and the router light for 5G went amber as expected. The device did not failover to 4G (the light was green) and pick up the workload for wired and wireless connections. Wireless would not issue IP addresses and wired clients pulled private IPs.
After pressing the router power button and restarting it, 4G and then 5G picked up after a few minutes. It may have been timing for 5G returning to service, I'll know when this happens once or twice more.

I'd like to know what I can do to ensure 4G failover works without resetting the router each time. That is not how the device was marketed.

Thanks!

Also, we really need a community topic for 5G now.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Residential 5G not failing over to 4G
camelspiders
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kibby at 1-800-922-0204 has been very polite and we updated my firmware to version 2.6.7.0 on the router. My installation tech warned me to never manually update the firmware via the router GUI, but she recommended it to fix this problem. I'll observe for a couple of days and let the community know if this is the fix.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

camelspiders,

Making sure you can always stay connected to the best service is a big deal. We want you connected. I'm glad you've enjoyed the service so far. We want to make sure you can continue to do so. While we never want to see an outage I am glad that you were back to using 5G quickly.

To confirm was there any error or anything of that nature when trying to use 4G service? After the router reset did the 4G work well even before the 5G came back? How is the service working at this point?

Andrew_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
camelspiders
Enthusiast - Level 2

Andrew,

It happened again today. The 5G service went out and did not failover to 4G. After eventually restarting the device, 5G came back up at the same time as 4G. It's safe to say the device is incapable of failover to 4G. The same symptoms as before occurred. No wireless access and wired clients switched to private IPs.

0 Likes
camelspiders
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just going to continue to use this post as a log of these router failures until someone at technical support can find a resolution ( I call or chat with support each day this happens ).

Same issue today. 5G outage - 4G did not take over wireless/wired connectivity and there was no internet access (until the router was manually rebooted).

camelspiders
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kibby at 1-800-922-0204 has been very polite and we updated my firmware to version 2.6.7.0 on the router. My installation tech warned me to never manually update the firmware via the router GUI, but she recommended it to fix this problem. I'll observe for a couple of days and let the community know if this is the fix.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

camelspiders, 

We are happy to hear you and the representative were able to update your router. Please continue to test the service, and let us know if there is a difference. We are always here read to assist you.

0 Likes
camelspiders
Enthusiast - Level 2

No problems since this firmware update. If 5G has failed (likely), I haven't noticed!

0 Likes