Re: Overage Alert!! Verizon Jetpack -?Inviting Trojans in to use your computers?
Not applicable

RidgeRider wrote:

I have read about that Brian, and other instances where Verizon wasn't at fault. But in many, they are at fault and refuse to accept responsibility. I can't use my JetPack until Dec. 21 because of the overage charges. I am currently using my son's unlimited data plan.

If I used my plan I would pay $15 for each GB of overage AND my monthly plan fee.

What surprises me most about all of this is that there is not much concern by Verizon's customers except from the ones that are really being abused and mistreated. Wade

It's not I don't have concern. My point is that one should make sure it's nothing at THEIR end first. Too many people immediately jump to the "It's all evil Verizon's fault. Fix it! Let's sue!" Ok so maybe YOU did do you due diligence, but many don't. And what's worse they get so offended if you suggest they check things on their end. Gee I think they'd be grateful if my suggestion actually fixed their problem.

Re: Overage Alert!! Verizon Jetpack -?Inviting Trojans in to use your computers?
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

When you're right you're right, Brian.

prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still no explanation, no answers.  3.5 weeks into 700+$$ of overage.  THANKS VZ!  What I have learned, probably a trojan or other threat running rampant has caused the problem.  Of course, NO ONE whose service the computer is subject too is anyway responsible??   Never mind it was repaired immediatley before usage started!!!  Even if NOT a primary VZ issue, VZ is responsible for delay in notification or LACK thereof.  VZ is responsible for POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. 

RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Hey, prettyppam. I was reading your post when the phone rang. It was LaShelle, from the Verizon executive offices. She asked me if I had taken my laptop to have it checked for viruses, etc. I told her I still had not got an email from Ben in technical support to tell a geek what to look for. She said she would contact him again, that he told her yesterday he had gotten "tied up." So am I. I'm using my son's internet because my JetPack is unplugged and been on overage from my first day's billing cycle. I already owe Verizon many $$$s and haven't even been able to use their service. Verizon's technical support is pretty worthless. But, at least they are all on the same page. Kinda like our ruler . . . blame someone/something other than Verizon. I expect them to blame Bush the next time I speak too them. Wade

prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would suggest you may be a VZ hack.  ALL the MiFi's come with their own unique passwords to my understanding.  The VZ store has told me my Dad's device is secure. 

He also had Norton running up to service in Oct by Geek Squad and it was replaced by Web Root as part of the service package Dad paid 200$ for.   So, outside of having a secure MiFi, security software, a 'reputable' servicing agent for the computer, what else is an 87 yo to do?? 

At this point, Geek Squad is tripping themselves up every time they say the device is fixed, it fails.  Clearly the overage started on first use after their 'service' in Oct.  (I'm on hold with Best Buys Consumer Relations dept at this time... the story of my life for the last month.  Wonderful way to prepare for the holidays!!)  11 days w/o computer, his online bills not being paid...  MY Gosh!

WHY isn't VZ trying to help folks with increased data usage by suggesting a free downloadable software to monitor data transmissions?  All VZ wants is money. 

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Hey prettyppam. I replied on another thread, but I'll reply on this one also, as I know how busy everyone is this Christmas season and might have no time to keep up with these posts. I really do feel your pain concerning your father. I paid $125 to have my computer checked out as the Verizon tech "Ben" suggested. I bought the computer at Best Buy and had it set up by the Geeks, but after following your thread I wasn't about to take it back to them. The local tech said my computer is clean as a factory reset one, but he did take down a tool bar he said was susceptible to back-door viruses, or bad programs.

He also loaded a Microsoft Security Essentials program because he said it was better than my Advanced Systems Care Pro on viruses. The program is free and is on the internet.

I have always been interested in why people would be so terrible to other people, so I asked him why he thought people created viruses and programs that would cost others so much money, time, and anguish. He said "because they can."

Brian has answered almost all of my posts except the one that asked him how much Verizon paid him. I'm thinking you have the answer.

The local attorney I contacted wasn't into class action law suits like the one we have been discussing, but he gave me the name and 800 number of one that is. I will try to check with him today, but have to do some Christmas shopping. The local attorney told me that we should all demand that Verizon pay for any expenses we incur, like the $125 computer examination, and overage charges. Oddly enough, Robin, his paralegal, told me that they had used Verizon, but dropped them when they got a $700 overage charge. I didn't ask if they had to pay the termination of contract charge.

Wishing you and all following this thread a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year. Wade

prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

They are secured from the get go.  Maybe you don't work for VZ, but like most of their employees, you may not fully know or understand the products.

prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Updating here.

Do you ever notice all the VZ stuff in Best Buy when you are there?  I can hardly keep from putting stickers on it, "WATCH OUT FOR data overages NO ONE, including Geek Squad can resolve"  The VZ exec person responding to my FCC complaint said she'd get with their [business partner] Best Buy about their poor service as well.  First, one should take seriously a persons complaint about 'ghost' data usage and not just suggest something, GIVE SOME RESOLUTION, SUGGEST A DATA TRACKER.  AND, when it is supposed to be done when servicing a computer... GEEK SQUAD...  you should do it.  The VZ person tried to suggest that there was a tracking app on their site, VZ Access Manager, I think.  NOT REALLY, it is an estimate and certainly not real time. 

VZ did adjust my bill, BUT, Best Buy offered pittance for my time and their repeated and ongoing failure to satisfactorily clean, then repair my Dad's computer.  Web Root DID respond and try to help, but got short circuited by Best Buy who installed it.  In essence, Dad had no functional computer for a month.  Even when I was in the store, One Geek said the others probably didn't fix the drivers after the first hard drive replacement that failed.  He said he'd take it over and make sure all was resolved.  THEN, he was cocky with me suggesting I didn't know what a threat was, etc. THEN, when one person was to be doing the work... giving a report on likelihood of ultimate repair or need for new device within 48 hours... that all failed.  FINALLY, about a week later, every Geek in the store, etc., Dad (87 yo) had a computer he didn't recognize and had to return... 30 mile round trips at least daily for several days until he could make things work satisfactorily.  At least, HIS DATA USAGE IS NORMAL... well within the 5 GB limit.  BEst Buy again failed to give us a list of threats found, failed to get data tracking software up and running and FAILED to make sure he could use the computer satisfactorily with his MiFi before he left the store. 

I have another issue with VZ 'hijacking' a monthly phone and creating a contract, then giving the upgrade to another device w/o my permission.  No record on my account of this. They will not respond to calls or emails or in person visits on that.  Best Buy has also failed to follow up on their abysmal Geek Squad performance with Dad's computer.  So, we still don't know what was causing the overage, except that after initial Best Buy Geek Service, the data usage went nuts.  THEN, about 6 wks and hundreds of miles and days of time.... they finally got some semblance of a functional device back to my Dad.  NONE OF THIS IS ACCEPTABLE.

Question is NOT answered.  Who is to say that VZ isn't aware of some targeting of their modems OR EVEN SETS THEM UP TO FAIL OR TO ALLOW THREATS as it is clearly to their financial advantage.  Best Buy's incomplete resolution and horrific service just further obscures an honest explanation of the cause of his data overages - 700$!!  ...and, as well obscures direct links to their incompetent 'repair' that started this downward spiral in the first place.  YOU just GOTTA WONDER if they are in CAHOOTS????  

Wake up people, the Corporations are ruining our lives for their profit. 

RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Hey, Pam. I was in a Walmart the other day and noticed they offered a lot of Verizon products. One of the managers, my son, showed me some of them. I think I need to talk to him.

Maybe it is just a coincident that we both (your dad) got our computers from Best Buy, had them set up by the geek squad, then got our internet service from Verizon, AND got hit by overage charges. Maybe, but I don't believe in coincidents.

I haven't heard from the law firm that I sent information to last Dec. So I am trying another tactic. Get Verizon all the publicity we can. Wade

RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

prettyppam
Email:(Private)

Hey. I am checking to see how many contacts I have out there. Verizon keeps playing games. Here is my current status with you. Others that Verizon has sent me emails that I am connected to them says similar, or just following.

Good picture of you, Pam.

One of the first posts that I sent to the Verizon Community was amazement that Verizon would host these comments. But, if you think about it, it is a way to increase data usage on Verizon's network, AND keep up with the actions we are taking. I'm a cynic, and don't know if Verizon will ever have to face the fact that they are a horrible company, but this might just blow up in their face. Wade