Network Extender doesn't pick up GPS
taz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just recieved my network extender. I have had it hooked up for 5 hours now and still no GPS. I have the remote antenna connected and hanging out the window, still no GPS. My hand held GPS can recieve the signal in about 3 min from inside the house, But the VZ extender never seams to pick it up.

This frustration is increased by the fact that befor I signed on with VS, I was assured that I had good coverage at my home. The reality has been 0 to 1 bars with many dropped calls. This happenes both inside and outside the house. VS solution was for my to buy my own "tower" (ie extender ) for my house. So much for the VS guy and his network. I have come to realize that I am the only network. Customer assistance is all but non exestanct.

VZ charges premium prices then expects you to pay for there lack of service. What a scam.

Tomarrow I think I will take this back and move to a carrier with real support.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Network Extender doesn't pick up GPS
taz
Enthusiast - Level 2
As it turned out, the Verizon sales associate entered the wrong mac address. They were unable to correct this over the phone. I ended up having to exchange the unit back at the store for a new one. However, I am unimpressed with the range on the unit. At between 35 and 40 feet with no obstructions, the signal is lost. A poor answer to fixing poor coverage.

View solution in original post

BlueDevil
Have them check that the MAC Address for your extender has been activated in their system.  The extender won't even try to sync the GPS if it can't validate the device MAC address with the verizon network.
0 Likes
taz
Enthusiast - Level 2
As it turned out, the Verizon sales associate entered the wrong mac address. They were unable to correct this over the phone. I ended up having to exchange the unit back at the store for a new one. However, I am unimpressed with the range on the unit. At between 35 and 40 feet with no obstructions, the signal is lost. A poor answer to fixing poor coverage.
cjshorke

I'm currently running into a similar situation.  I didn't purchase my unit froom a Verizon store, but will hopefully have the MAC ID registered with customer service later this evening.  Given the amount of these that are for sale on various web sites and auction sites I anticipate other people will run into the same issue, I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

On a different note I'm not entirely sure how this whole thing works...  If this is simply a peice of hardware that anyone can use (unless you enter prefered/priority numbers) why should it need to be registered.  I'm  not asking for any other reason than to attempt to braoden my own understanding of teh device, it seems like the current equation goes something like this GPS+Internet+Magic = Cell Service.

And a final point to discuss amongst yourselves, if you need to troubleshoot something that provides you with phone service, why is the only method of commmunication with Verizon Wireless customer support over the phone?  I've requested a conversation over livechat, or even e-mail and bothe requests have been answered with "we can't do that at Verizon Wireless, sir."  You would htink they would take a lesson from their sister company Verizon.

0 Likes