Network Extender and texting
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1
Since text messages on Verizon's network send via 1XRTT, and not EVDO, does that mean that the Network Extender will help with sending/receiving texts from within my home? Texting is just as bad inside my four walls as calling - constant drops, no signal.
0 Likes
Re: Network Extender and texting
Derizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, any 1xRTT service can benefit from the more solid signal provided by the Network Extender.  We don't get the failed message sending errors we used to get at home since we put in the NE.

0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

That's funny. I figured the same, but to be sure I called VZW tech support and asked.

First, the rep didn't even know what the extender was. So I explained and asked again. She then put me on hold while she researched it. After about 5-7 minutes she came back on and informed me that not only would it not help with texting, but according to her research it wouldn't help with my calling either, and would be a waste of my money.

I also emailed tech support. They got back to me that it would not help texting as it doesn't do data.

Great tech support!

0 Likes
Derizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Surprised that a VZ support person would suggest that the device is not worth the money.  When Verizon has the Network Extender servers up and running (reliability is so-so on this account), the Network Extender works very well.

I have teens in the house who are doing over 4000 texts a month.  They believe that the Net Extender has reduced the number of failed message sending errors when texting from within the house.  And again, they can always tell when the net extender servers are down (happens way too frequently for my taste).

0 Likes