Mobile broadband usage, tips for not going over
shadow

I just got the MiFi 2200.  Very happy so far.  We are coming off Satellite and it seems to be much faster. I have the 5 gig plan.

I know to check for updates manually and choose the ones I want or need at the time, Avoid downloading video. 

Are there any settings on computers that could be changed to avoid using too much data usage?

0 Likes
Re: Mobile broadband usage, tips for not going over
risu
Contributor - Level 3
Best advice I can give you is to be aware of what you're doing on the web and the typical size of things you use (like 300kb for a typical webpage, 3kb for a text email, etc) and keep an eye on your usage through My Verizon.
0 Likes
jeorider
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe the issue is not about downloading video etc... It is about having a realtime method for monitoring usage.

The video downloading speach, is framing the problem to a customer usage issue, which puts pressure on the consumer to underuse the bandwidth they bought.

To hear it in full swing talk to any Verizon

rep. about monitoring usage and you will get the "don't download Youtube" talk. If accepted it now becomes "Your problem"

The conversation needs to be reframed to.....

I paid for 5 gigs of data, which you sold me. How I use that 5 gigs is my choosing. You do not allow rollover, so I expect to get what I paid for.

How do I monitor my usage, what tools do you give me to do so. I am charged overage fees, yet not allowed to accurately monitor my usage!!????

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3
The best tool currently available is My Verizon.  Hopefully, they'll come out with more self serve options for mobile broadband that will provide more timely updates to usage.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
You could go as far as turning off "load images automatically" in your browser.  You already mentioned the other 2 obvious issues--selective updates to the OS, and avoiding video.
0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

"...Selectie updates to the OS..."

Absolutely! Look at other applications that "call home" to check for updates luke Adobe Acrobat Pro/Reader, Java, various Microsoft, etc. For example, I know that Adobe will download the update THEN tell you it is ready to install.

Also, see my comments in the thread "Usage log please help and a warning." I mention checking the XP Dialer in Control Panels> Network Connections, it's probably called "Verizon Wireless - VZAccess" or "BroadbandAccess." When you double-click it AFTER connecting up, it shows you data up/down in real time. The only disadvantage to this is that it resets after the connection closes. It does give a nice perspective on background data activity that you may not have known about.

As for identifying those applications, you could try running "netstat" in a command window and it'll show all IP connections currently open.

I do not know how other wireless carriers track and bill data usage, but I forsee problems for VZW if the continue real-time billing and delayed notification to customers.

0 Likes