Mobile Broadband APN gets reset on reboot (Windows 10)
josher44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

First time caller.

I have a new Dell laptop with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 4G card with a Verizon SIM. 

We are an enterprise so we reimage the machines, we don't take the standard Dell image.  I reimaged with our domain Win10 image and afterwards installed the latest drivers from the Dell support site.  It's a Sierra Wireless driver (7455).

The number I am using has a static IP set for it, so I set the APN for ne01.vzwstatic.  The good news is it works fine.  I have data connection and internet.

However, when I reboot the machine, the APN gets reset to vzwinternet which is the default for Verizon Wireless DHCP but won't work for static IP.  This does not happen on logout/login.  It doesn't happen if I force group policy.  Only reboot.  I cannot figure out what is forcing the reset. 

I reached out to Verizon support, they told me that since the connection is working when configured, it's not something that is in their scope to support.  They did ping/reset the SIM but that did not do anything.

I have reached out to Dell and they are pointing at my OS reinstall as a possible culprit (meaning they have no clue).  They want me to go back to the Dell default image and see what happens.  I can do that but am hoping not to have to do that.  I also don't think that is the issue.

Only thing I supect is that the SIM card installed by Dell with the card somehow forces vzwinternet on boot.  If that is the case I would guess I need a new SIM.

My questions of course -- has anyone seen this?  Has anyone solved this?  An internet search did not provide a lot of clarity although people noted similar problems a couple of times (no solutions I could fine).

Appreciate the help.

Josh

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mobile Broadband APN gets reset on reboot (Windows 10)
josher44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ryan,

So here is the update.  I have narrowed it down to something due to being on our domain. 

I reinstalled the native Dell Windows 10 and it works fine and holds the APN.  Rather than reimaging it this time I added it to our domain as is.  Now it loses the APN on reboot.

Oh, one change I did make -- I upgraded the OS to Win10 Enterprise rather than Pro.  I should have checked after I did that before the domain.  But let's assume for the moment that makes no difference, it has to be something about being on the domain. 

I don't *think* it is group policy because I force group policy and it doesn't affect the APN.  Logout and in also and it doesn't affect APN.  Only reboot.

We have 2 Lenovo laptops with the same domain settings that do not lose the APN on reboot.

Also -- should have said this first -- I had tier 2 on the phone last week, static IP people I think, and they said because it works when set right the loss of the APN is out of their hands.

Banging my head against the wall here...

Josh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Josher44, I’ve heard nice things about that laptop. The static IP is working the way it’s suppose to that’s why it’s reverting back to the default APN.

TrinetteW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
josher44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you mean the static IP "is not" working the way it is supposed to?

I do notice the static IP is not "saved" in the data field, nor the mask.  Only the default gateway stays.  it still holds the IP when I switch the APN back.

Does that point to a problem with the firmware, hardware, or SIM?

0 Likes
ryanc_vzw
Verizon Employee

josher44,

Thank you for asking a great question. I would be puzzled too if it keeps reverting back. I am confident that we can figure this out. I'll be happy to clarify and point you in the right direction. What my colleague was trying to say is that; since it's a Static IP, it will revert back after the restart. Just curious, when did this start? Has it ever stayed on ne01.vzwstatic before?

Your best support for this would be calling our business support team that specializes on Static IP at 1-800-922-0204. Please ask for Business support.

RyanC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
josher44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ryan,

I appreciate the response. 

I was on the phone last week with Verizon tier 2 support, they seemed to understand static IP.  They said that because we have connectivity when the settings are right that it is out of their hands and a Windows issue.  They did try a SIM reset but that did not help.  I still have Dell looking at it as well.

In the meantime, a little more information.  At Dell's request I reinstalled the original Dell OS that came with the laptop.  That one -- Windows 10 Pro with the default Microsoft Broadband drive -- held the APN.  After rebooting it was even network connected prior to login.  But I thought I had solved it, because when I had reimaged it the first time I installed the Dell Driver, I figured that was the issue.  So I went ahead and reimaged it again (Win 10 Enterprise) and left the Microsoft Broadband driver on without installing the Dell Broadband driver.  But now, it still will not hold the APN.

Other things we have:

- We disable UEFI boot and use legacy boot here

- The BiOS is locked down with a password

I doubt either of those make a difference.

Yes we have group policy here, but none of the mobile group policy settings.  I can force group policy update without affecting the APN.  I can also logout and in repeatedly (which should refetch group policy) without affecting the APN.  It's only reboot.  Something in shutdown or startup causes that APN to reset.  We have two Lenovo laptops with similar cards -- no problems with those.

I'm really perplexed and frustrated.

0 Likes
josher44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ryan,

So here is the update.  I have narrowed it down to something due to being on our domain. 

I reinstalled the native Dell Windows 10 and it works fine and holds the APN.  Rather than reimaging it this time I added it to our domain as is.  Now it loses the APN on reboot.

Oh, one change I did make -- I upgraded the OS to Win10 Enterprise rather than Pro.  I should have checked after I did that before the domain.  But let's assume for the moment that makes no difference, it has to be something about being on the domain. 

I don't *think* it is group policy because I force group policy and it doesn't affect the APN.  Logout and in also and it doesn't affect APN.  Only reboot.

We have 2 Lenovo laptops with the same domain settings that do not lose the APN on reboot.

Also -- should have said this first -- I had tier 2 on the phone last week, static IP people I think, and they said because it works when set right the loss of the APN is out of their hands.

Banging my head against the wall here...

Josh

0 Likes
josher44
Enthusiast - Level 2

A little more information...

I have narrowed it down to Windows creating a new Network Profile in the registry every time it reboots and connects to Verizon Wireless again.  The new profile is picking up the vzwinternet APN by default.

Having said that, I have given up on Static IP and gone to dynamic, so vzwinternet works.  But, it still creates the new network profile on every connection which is going to be a problem even with dynamic.

This only happens on our domain and for this laptop (two Lenovos on the domain do not have the problem). 

I am trying to trace differences between the machines but have not been successful yet.

0 Likes
dubinl

Here's hoping that you still have notifications for this post turned on...because I have the exact same issue with the exact same chip but in a twist, ours are Lenovos...and we have a gen 1 tablet working on that 7455 Qualcomm and 3 failing.   So, did you ever get this fully sorted?

0 Likes