Mifi won't work as WWAN on Vista laptop...
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

Mifi works fine as a wifi unit on XP netbook, but when connecting to Vista laptop, Mifi ONLY works as wifi; not as WWAN.  ie, when the cable is installed between the Mifi and laptop, I get an error 711 when trying to use the wizard to make it a WWAN device.  I spent a LOT of time with tech support, reinstalling VZAccessManager.  We tried with the 6x version and also the newest, 7x.  No joy.

Mifi works great with our iPod Touchs!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mifi won't work as WWAN on Vista laptop...
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
As far as I know Error 711 is a Windows error message. It should have nothing to do with the VZ Access software or phone settings. It's something with remote access services in Windows. Try searching for it in Microsoft's knowledge base. I fixed it on XP thru the Microsoft Management Console under settings and services. The remote access service was turned off, once I turned it back on everything was able to connect.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

dave1812 wrote:

Mifi works great with our iPod Touchs

Also on iPhones. One way to get Verizon performance on an iPhone  
I wouldn't buy a MiFi just for the iPhone, but if you have one for other purposes, what the hey... 

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
As far as I know Error 711 is a Windows error message. It should have nothing to do with the VZ Access software or phone settings. It's something with remote access services in Windows. Try searching for it in Microsoft's knowledge base. I fixed it on XP thru the Microsoft Management Console under settings and services. The remote access service was turned off, once I turned it back on everything was able to connect.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
thanks very much, I'll check it out later today--the MiFi is with my wife who is across town at the moment.  I'll report back if that fixes it.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you very much!  That did the trick.  I enabled the remote services and VZAcessManager promptly got the Mifi card working when connected via it's USB cable.  You know more than the Verizon tech support guys, who wasted a lot of my time with useless reinstalls of the software.

Dave

0 Likes