Mifi 4510L slow 3g speeds!
Slingblade00

I have a Mifi 4510L and after 4 calls to verizon wireless and a replacement device I still am getting embarrassing speeds to Verizon's competition. They say the speed issues is because of traffic, well there must be tons of traffic 24/7 because its always slow. I attempt to play on Xbox Live but its almost useless 23 hours out of the day. The worst of it all is I have to watch my next door neighbor on AT&T 3g play it up with almost full connection to host on Call of Duty. I have a family member on Virgin Mobile 3g wireless broadband in Arkansas that also can play on Xbox Live all day with very few issues. Also, I have read through many of the forums on speeds people are getting and they are complaining about getting 0.8 Download & 0.8 Upload speeds when I get much lower than that all the time. Here is my speed from speedtest.net:

Test 1

Ping: 200

Download: 0.80

Upload: 0.18

Test 2

Ping: 220

Download:0.80

Upload: 0.16

Test 3

Ping: 180

Download:1.1

Upload: 0.20

I live in a 3g only area in Dryden Virginia. Please do not tell me its the traffic because earlier in the post I mentioned my next door neighbor on AT&T can get speeds almost doubling mine. Any help would be appericated.

0 Likes
Re: Mifi 4510L slow 3g speeds!
AHepburn

Slingblade00 wrote:

I live in a 3g only area in Dryden Virginia. Please do not tell me its the traffic because earlier in the post I mentioned my next door neighbor on AT&T can get speeds almost doubling mine. Any help would be appericated.

It seems to me that's a bit like complaining that your neighbor's Ford performs better than your Chevy - AT&T and Verizon use different hardware and software so trying to compare them is problematic. You need to find someone in your immediate area who is using the same hardware as you are and compare performance with them. That way you'll know if the problem is with your equipment, or the cell tower, or the system itself.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sling,

Your 3G download numbers are within the normally acceptable range for a 3G connection.  I would not expect Verizon to act unless your download speed dropped below .5 Mbps.  I see the same numbers on my MiFi 4510L as I travel around when Im on 3G.  A 0.8 upload would be fabulous, ive never seen mine go that high, its normally below .5.

One thing you could try doing is locking your MiFi into EVDO.

Use 3G only

1. Power on the MiFi

2. Connect to the MiFi

3. Navigate to http://mifi.admin

4. Sign into the MiFi

5. Click the WWAN tab

6. Click the More link at the bottom of the page

7. Change the WWAN Preferred Mode from LTE/CDMA to EVDO only

8. Click Apply

9. Test your connection

Normally performance problems will be resolved on thier own as the network around you ebb's and flows.  You can always try the various levels of resets to help your MiFi re-negotiate its contract with the local towers.  You also might want to try moving your MiFi around your house and running speedtest again to see if you have any weakspots/deadzones.

Here is a great article on how to perform a site survey at your home:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

Click the "Do a Site Survey" tab near the top of the article and follow the steps.

0 Likes
Slingblade1170

I talk to Verizon Tech last night and they said for my area that speed is unacceptable. But, the point of my post is that Verizon does mention they are the fastest wireless network but everyone else seems to be faster & have unlmited data plans. My problem should soon be fixed thanks to the very nice woman I spoke with but its a shame that I could have went with "the other company" and had better speed and signal.

0 Likes
NickThompson

Mr. Getzke,

How much variation in strength of signal is appropriate.  (What would it take to convince Verizon that their tower isn't working right).  I have been checking speeds all day and they vary from 0.03 to 8.00.  4 G not supposed to be available here.  My whole reason for getting this device is to get away from dial up speeds, so if  the tower is going to be this unreliable, perhaps I ought to bail before my evaluation period expires.  Thanks for your help.  Nick Thompson.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Nick,

I see this is a similar posting to our previous conversation:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/773452

To answer your question a good 3G signal should be between 1-2 Mbps.  A good 4G LTE signal is between 5-12 Mbps.  What you are describing sounds like a combination of the two or a glitch in your speed test diagnostics.  Not sure which diagnostic you are using but a good standard speedtest website is speedtest.net.

I'd agree with your statement about bailing before the eval period ends.  If you cant fix your connection during the trial period then it is not going to get any better.  Try the recommendations I posted for your MiFi in the other thread.  If that doesnt fix it then contact VZW and work through thier troubleshooting.  The steps will be repetitive but they are a necessary evil.  If the problem persists then VZW will likely send a tech to your tower.  Dont wait for anything unless they can confirm that your trial period has extended first.

0 Likes