Mifi 2200 Firmware update not available?
StephenPT

Hi All, I have a Verizon MiFi 2200 I purchased last August. I normally always connect to it through WiFi so I was not aware of the Firmware update from V125 to V135. I would really like to get this firmware update because I don't want it to always be on when plugged in with the AC adapter, which is normally how I have it configured. 

I updated my VZ Access Manager to the latest 7.2.7.1 (2462a) and am connected to the MiFi through the USB cable, but there is no "Update Firmware" option under the "Option" tab in the VZ Access Manager software. 

Is there anything I'm missing as far as getting this MiFi unit to recognize that there is a firmware update available? In the VZ Access program I go to "Help" and then "About VZ Access Manager..." and it shows that the MiFi firmware is V125.008 dated Jan 13th, 2009.

Thank you!

-Stephen

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mifi 2200 Firmware update not available?
timb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey guys, I had this issue as well and ended up solving it.

I ran the latest VZAM installer (VZAM_7.2.7_2462a_MiFi2200-Web.exe) through a Mac program called FileJuicer. This allowed me to extract the installer ZIP from the executable, which I then unzipped and found the following file: MiFi-2200 Firmware Updates.msi

Running that installed the 139 firmware installer to "C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\Firmware Updates\Novatel\"...

I'm not exactly sure why this isn't installed with the rest of the VZAM software.

That said, I've gone ahead and uploaded the "MiFi-2200 Firmware Updates.msi" package to my personal server for everyone to use. Just download and install, then the next time you start VZAM, it should prompt you for the firmware upgrade like normal.

http://timb.us/mirror/MiFi-2200 Firmware Updates.msi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

Is your device actually being detected by VZAccess?  The option to upgrade firmware may not exist if not detected.  What OS is on the computer that you are running VZAccess from?

I assume you are following these directions.

http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=27030&supportview=1&p=-1

0 Likes
StephenPT

Yes, the device is being deteced by VZ Access. It says Mifi2200 in the bottom right corner of the VZ Access screen and then I click "Connect WWAN." The MiFi is connected to the computer through the USB cable.

OS is Windows Vista 32-bit.

I haven't gotten the screen to say there is a firmware update available and when I pull down the "Options" tab "Update Firmware" isn't even there...

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

Have you checked to see if the firmware update is available after you connect via USB but actually connect by clicking on the WWAN? 

I have not update my firmware yet but I will try to later today to see if I have the exact same issue and will let you know what I find.

0 Likes
darkonex

Same issue as original poster.  Downloaded the latest version of Verizon Access Manager, plugged my Mifi in.  I can pull up the info on it and see that it has the older 1.25 firmware.  Checked the instructions at http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=27030&supportview=1&p=-1 and it did NOT ask me to update and I do NOT have an Update Firmware option under the Options menu.  Now what?

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I have not been able to get this to work myself as well so I am submitting a support ticket through my government account so hopefully I will get something back very quick on this issue.

0 Likes
13thDisciple

In order for the firmware to update... make sure Verizon Wireless MiFi-2200 Firmware Updates is located on your pc...

The default location is

"C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\Firmware Updates\Novatel\DUU_Verizon_MiFi2200_FW135.082_WebUI19.3.exe"

It should also be located under your start menu--> All Programs --> Verizon Wireless MiFi-2200 Firmware Updates

if VZaccessManager is running close it...  The firmware update does not use VZaccess Manager to perform the firmware update.

If not already done so...  Plug your  mifi into your pc via the usb port....  the green power light should light up if connected correctly...

Run the above listed firmware upgrade... 

Hope this helps

0 Likes
tomasallan

Hi,

I too am experiencing the same, the problem is there is nothing where you say it should be, there is no update made available.

0 Likes
drwhom

I am having the same problem.  In case it matters, my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  Thanks.

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I am really suprised that this is not explained clearly on the Verizon site and instead they are posting the directions that explain VZAccess as being the way to update the firmware.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes