MiFi unable to power on when plugged into charger
BruceLang

One of the manuals says the MiFi can be powered on while plugged into the charger.  However,  I must first unplug the MiFi, power it on and then reconnect to the charger.  Can you turn on your MiFi while plugged in?

FYI

• I believe the firmware was updated during the first time setup.
  • we use this mostly at home and leave it on for convenience.
  • we unplug and power off the unit at night.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: MiFi unable to power on when plugged into charger
Natashia86
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, you should be able to turn on the MIFI while it is being charged. Try removing the battery and replacing it to see if that allows you to turn on the MIFI while its being charged.  HTH!

0 Likes
BruceLang

Thanks Natashia,

Removed and reinstalled the battery twice, but this did not correct the problem.

With the MiFi off then plugged into the charger the power light goes on.  Pressing the power button does not light the "service status indicator" LED.  (grasping at straws...) Holding the power button for a couple seconds does not do anything either.

There's no trouble powering on the device while unplugged from the charger and then plugging the device back into the charger.

No trouble using it while not plugged into the charger, but that's only done while away from home.

FYI - The versions for the device are:

• AP: 11.47.17
  • Router: 083
  • Modem: 139

Sincerely,

Bruce

0 Likes
JebNY

Just wanted to let you know mine also works while plugged in.  I start up as you described, plug in and then hold the power button for a few seconds to start connection.  I have ran it for several days at a time while on charge.

I have found that if you don't have a powerful enough USB charger that it will run down the batteries.  I don't know the exact power pull of the MiFi, but it looks like 500ma plus is needed to maintain charge while using.

Jim...

0 Likes
BruceLang

Hello Jim,

I'm using the wall charger that came with the MiFi 2200, so there should be enough power.

I'll test it tonight to see if the same power-on problem happens while plugged into a USB port.

BTW - This "problem" is a minor issue as the device works fine.  However, I would like to limit the number of times the mini-usb is plugged/un-plugged in order to reduce wear.:smileysurprised:

Sincerely,

Bruce

0 Likes
BruceLang
The MiFi does power on when plugged in using the USB cable - that is, while used in modem mode, but not while plugged into the wall charger.
0 Likes
JoeBobHarris
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm anything but a techno neophyte... and I have the same problem. 

- Device off

- Plug in wall charger <<< That's alternating current 120V 60 Hz house charger not USB

- No matter if I stand on my head, hold my breath, there is no combination of Mifi Power Button pushes that will power up the device. The charging light is "green" but no signal activity light.

I have to unplug the device, then power it up before reattaching the wall charger. Period. Plugging into USB on the computer powers on automatically.

0 Likes
BruceLang

Glad to know I'm not the only one this happens to, so this must be "normal."

A person at a Verizon store said the MiFi 2200 should not be used while plugged into the wall charger because is reduces the life of the battery.  :smileyindifferent:

We would rarely use the MiFi device outside our rural home, so I suppose it's no trouble to charge it overnight and unplug it before using it. :smileysurprised:

0 Likes
JoeBobHarris
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, appears normal.

I noticed a tag on the end of the charger cable that says "remove from charger when complete".

Odd. If I plug the mifi into a USB port on my PC will it not be charging? Don't see how this is different than using the wall charger.

I'm not going to worry about it.

0 Likes
BruceLang

I also thought it odd that it's okay to use it while charging in the USB port, but not while plugged into the wall charger.

I'm finished wondering about this too.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes