MiFi 4620L no longer getting 4G at home--any way to boost signal?
LM454
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I bought my 4620L (6/12--a few wks ago) I got great 4G reception in my home, although it did drop out every now and then. A couple of wks later, however, and since then, I can only get 3G, which is slower than Hughes.net! I've tried over and over, and been in contact with my Verizon Rep, who's been trying to help me (he even drove out to my neighborhood to see if he could pick up 4G there--same problem). He can't figure out what the problem is, either, and suggested I pause my service until coverage improves.

I live in a very rural area, but there is a Verizon tower 5 miles away. I have paused my service for the time being, since 3G does me no good, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help boost the 4G signal, or any ideas as to why my signal would have deteriorated in just a couple of wks....

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4620L no longer getting 4G at home--any way to boost signal?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

What you need is a 4G Booster (amplifier) and/or antenna.  There are a few to choose from so you will have to decide how much you want to invest into a better signal with VZW.  Just make sure the equiptment is 4G LTE compatible with a VZW signal before you buy.  If the product you order does not improve your signal then send it back for a refund. 

That being said, you should make sure that there is a 4G signal to work with before you try to improve it.  You can check your 4G signal by performing a site survey.  After the site survey is complete you will have a good idea on the kind of equiptment that will be needed to improve your situaion.

Site Survey:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

3GStore is a great place to start looking.  WilsonElectronics.com also offers some home/consumer products.

0 Likes
jrwilk01

I have a similar situation. I'm about 4 miles from the tower, and my LTE service disappeared in mid-May after having been consistant for 8 months.

Lots of people in many different markets are seeing the same thing. Verizon must have changed something.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LM454, that is no fun! If we promised 4G, you should have 4G. Allow me to look into this further. What is your zip code? Have you tried to use the device in other 4G areas? Did it work? Does it default to 3G? What if you reset the device, does it go back to 4G? Do you have any 4G Smartphones? If so, how are they working? Please answer all of these questions so that I can better assist.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thank you,

Lena A.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

bicoastalric

I have a similar situation,  Jetpack 4620 was stellar for a month {4g} all the sudden about two weeks ago it started only receiving 3g signal. I have had the device replaced and still no 4g. My area code is 33334,  and my iphone phone has full signal strength. Please help Lena!!

0 Likes
4g_eek

Hello,

I don't know why your original service deteriorated and I am sure the Verizon Support service can help you better than I can.
However, to answer the first part of your question:

…was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help boost the 4G signal…

the solution for you, might be to purchase a cellular signal amplifier, from manufacturers likes of Wilson or Cellphone-Mate.

They both offer 4G capable cell phone boosters, compatible with Verizon's LTE (700MHz). If you do purchase such equipment, make sure that it comes with all the required elements for a fully functioning kit (i.e: one outdoor antenna, 1 indoor antenna and all the cables and connectors you need).
Also, in your case, I would recommend that you use a directional antenna for outdoors. Apparently you know in which direction the cell tower is, from your house, and over a distance of 5 miles, a directional antenna will guarantee the best signal strength inside your house.

If you just google "4G boosters", the first link goes here: http://www.quantum-wireless.com/cellular-equipment/cell-phone-signal-boosters/4g-signal-boosters.htm... and it looks like they have a bunch of bundles on there, with all you need.

Hope this helps

4G.eek

0 Likes
Irforce2005
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I am having the same issue... Can you please look into my account as well...

Zip: 30005

Yes, 30040 and the signal is still just 2 bars out of 5. SpeedTest.net shows only a 2.5-3.5 Mbps download about 2.1-2.6 upload and ping at 111 ms...

I have reset many times. 3G seems slower and I am looking for 10mbps or greater on my service...

0 Likes
jascet45

I'm having the same problems.  I initially went with 3G but the was disappointed with the speed.  Verizon got me to go 4G but my signal kept dropping.  They tell me I'm in a 4G service area.  BULLPOOP!  I went back to 3G to keep from dropping the signal.  My download speeds are .14 (yes, I said point one four) and my uploads are .09.  I live in zip code 37322 and the best I can figure is I'm about 7 miles from any tower.  We have two cell phones and the best we can get is 1X.  I need some help also!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jascet45, I'm sorry your having issues with your signal. When you were given the option to go to 4g and started to have issue, did you report your issues? If so, did we file a trouble-ticket to take a closer look at the issue in your area. Additionally, are you issues inside or outside. If inside, the information given by 4g.eek is correct, a network extender is great for enhance the service inside your building or home.  I hope this information was helpful and I look forward to hearing back from you.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
jascet45

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did report the issues I was having with the signal getting dropped on the 4G. I would get cut off about every 15 minutes so I reactivated the 3G device. I don't get cut off with that. The individual I spoke with at Verizon told me I should be getting a 4G signal where I live. There is no 4G signal anywhere close outside of the house. I have to travel in any direction about a mile before I can pick up anything better than 1X. A range extender will not be of any help to me. I have even installed an outside antenna for my 2200 but that doesn't help much. I am paying $65 a month for dial up service and don't feel like it's fair. The phone service is no better than 1X either. Verizon is the only cell phone provider that reaches where we are located. As near as I can figure, we are about 7 miles from any tower. Perhaps another tower needs to be installed closer to me. Something needs to be done to correct this problem otherwise I will be cancelling the MIFI service when my contract runs out.

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:33:34 -0600

To: bobbles@outlook.com

Subject: - Re: MiFi 4620L no longer getting 4G at home--any way to boost si

0 Likes