Re: MiFi 4510L gets stuck in "dormant" state
tim_lightfoot

Thanks John.  We are using a Wilson signal booster already and we constantly have full bars on 3G (we are in a fringe area for 4G according to Verizon, but never have been able to pull that in even with the biggest signal booster we could buy).  I'm going to look at the PepWave Surf...that looks interesting...

Thanks again - and thanks for your continued advocacy in this area.  I know that your posts have been tremendously helpful....Cheers!  Tim

0 Likes
PebbleBill

Just got my new MiFi a couple of weeks ago. Have an important use for it today. But, it has been dormant all day. 4 bars. Good connection. Every time I reconnect, it goes back to dormant in a few seconds.

Does anyone know of a reliable data connection via cell? Does AT&T have a model that works? I am a professional and not a hobbyist. Need a device that is consistent.

Thanks

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Pebble,

What you are describing is normal behavior for the MiFi 4510L.  Dormancy is not a problem, it is a status message that regards the activity of your MiFi.  The MiFi will go in and out of dormancy as is needed.

If you havent read through the solutions on this thread then I suggest starting with the resets to try and correct the actual problem, which is most likely a disconnection event from the VZW network.

Level 1 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Let the MiFi sit for 30 seconds
  3. Power on the MiFi
  4. Test the connection

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Remove the SIM card
  5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test the Connection

Level 3 Reset

1. Power on the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Press and hold the Reset button next to the battery for 10 seconds
  4. Watch the MiFi E-Ink display to see if all the icons are displayed
  5. Release the Reset button
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test your connection

MiFi's come with a 14 day trial.  If the resets do not correct your problem before your trial is up then return it and try something else.  All the major wireless providers have a mobile broadband device similar to the MiFi 4510L.  If you want to stick with VZW then the upgraded MiFi 4620L should perform better.  

0 Likes
sickofVZW

The "Dormant" problem has been around for years and still no fix.  It is not a power problem, it is a technology problem.  Not knowing the exact details, I will not elaborate on the issue.  The fact that it occurs only with LTE and not CDMA is somewhat peculiar, is VZW pushing something they cannot fully support?  All I know for sure the the "Dormant" problem is real, a connection that goes dormant will downloading data is unacceptable.  Verizon expects me to pay them every month and I expect the services to work. Someone is not fulfilling their end of the bargain, only a few months left then back to AT&T or I give Sprint a try.

0 Likes
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are absolutely correct.  The Dormant issue is IS a problem and is NOT normal behavior for a mobile data device.  It IS normal behavior for the 4150, which IS a problem.  There is a lot of conjecture here defending the 4150, but it is faulty.  If in fact the 4150 is performing as designed, then the original design parameters and requiremens are erroneous. 

I have now proven that the 4150 is in fact behaving improperly - conclusively.  Side by side, at the same location, on the same networks, exercising the same exact test scripts, at the exact same time, a PC connected via the 4150 experiences the "dormancy" and "lockup" issues while right next to it a PC connected via an LTE equipped iPad does not.  Consistently.  Routinely.  After the 4150 has been upgraded, swapped out, tested, wiped and reconfigured, etc.  Furthermore, this situation is replicated in multiple geographic locations.  It is now abundantly clear that the 4150 has inherent design flaws that cannot be corrected by the troubleshooting indicated on this site, or by VZ.  My 4150 has now been shut down, and will forever live as a example of one of the worst supported devices in history. 

On another note, the iPad w/LTE is not perfect, but it's far better in performance.  There are some odd quirks that need to be addressed, but they are in no way to the same level as the horrible 4150.