Re: MiFi 4510L gets stuck in "dormant" state
clubtech5

I tried everything in this and other posts and my Mifi always got stuck in Dormant mode or endless loop of reconnecting.

The only thing that solved this for me was disabling the SSID broadcast of the mifi and since i have not had a single issue with the device.

Has anyone tried disabling the SSID and check if solved their problem?

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can confirm that checking for a software update will shake the mifi out of the stuck-dormant state. The benefit of doing it that way is that you're less likely to lose your WAN IP address, so long-lived TCP sessions or VPN connections should be less likely to fail. I'll check this next time it dies (should be later on today if history is any guide).

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

jbb wrote:

However, this Mifi 4510L is a complete and total flop. It will not hold a connection no matter what firmware is in it (I now have 2.23.1).

Where did you get 2.23.1? I have 2.23 on mine. So far as I know, that's the latest.

0 Likes
jbb

Came on it.

0 Likes
jbb

Give up on it man. You're gonna drive yourself crazy.

0 Likes
wmhjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Folks, let's be honest about this.  The 4150 (and quite possibly the Verizon LTE network at large) is a dismal failure.  It is without a shadow of a doubt, the most unreliable, poorly performance and worst supported technology product I've had the unfortunate experience of living through in the past 20 years.  Core defects exist in its implementation, and they are not "Wifi" in nature.  They are all completely under the control of Verizon.  I have massive, and undebatable data showing that the issue has nothing to do with signal strength, SNR, tower configuration, geographic or external interference, client device characteristics, etc.  This is a Verizon problem (also being clear that I consider the Novatel/Samsung Mifi development and manufacturing as a Verizon issue, since Verizon had to certify and support those devices as well as the fact that Verizon sells them for use on their own network).  There are even clear defects in the admin console.  Selecting LTE Only no longer locks the device to LTE Only.  I have screen shots of my device, having been set to LTE Only, being connected via 3G or worse yet, EVDO or 1XRTT.  It is pathetic. 

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, I don't know.

Apart from the couple of known, widescale outages I've experienced so far, the only problem I've systematically had with my 4510L is the dormant hang issue, and performing a firmware update check is the work-around for it.

The fact that a firmware-update check works around the dormancy problem tells me that this is a bug in the firmware of the device. In principle, there's no reason that the firmware update check traffic is any different from the other traffic flowing through the device. It's likely that because of this bug, local traffic is able to "wake up" the modem, but routed traffic does not. I'd think this would be fairly easy for them to fix, and I expect a fix in the next firmware release.

In contrast, firmware 2.16 was abysmal. That the firmware is improving gives me hope. That the one problem I am having has such an easy work-around gives me hope that the flaw is not as systemic as you say.

There may be a geographic disparity at work as well. I've used my MiFi in the San Francisco Bay area and in San Diego. I've not used it elsewhere, so maybe you're in a place with bigger problems. I don't know.

Now, how long will Novatel and Verizon take to pull their thumbs out and actually fix it? That's the open question.

As for Verizon LTE being the shoddiest technology release in the last 20 years.... Well, clearly you've never owned an AT&T 3G Microcell.

0 Likes
wmhjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry, but frankly the defects in this product are core, critical, high severity issues.  For the record, I've used the  device in locations such as Boston, NYC, Detroit, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, Los Angeles, Pgh, Philly, Cleveland (sort of), Columbus, and the list can go on and on.  While they are unacceptable and are indicative of poor engineering, I'm not talking of the widespread outages.  I am talking of the "Dormant" issues, the fact that the device does not properly prioritize the connection type , the lack of reliability, and yes - even the speed when connected via LTE and great signal.  "When" it works, it's not bad.  The problem is that it rarely works reliably for any length of time.  In any of the locations I've mentioned above.  There will only be change in VZ if people such as us apply pressure, rather than just giving them a break. 

As for the shoddy release thing, I was speaking of my experience.  We can debate if there were others that were worse.  The fact that we're even debating it makes my point. 

0 Likes
clubtech5

Have you guys tried to disable SSID broadcast? I don't know why but since i have done this my "dormant" issues are 100% GONE and i was suffering from this issue like everyone else.

My setup:

WAN mode: auto

LAN: Wifi B/G WPA2 with SSID broadcast disabled.

MAC address filter: on.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I must be luckier than you, then. I've not had it not listen to me when I tell it to stick with either CDMA or LTE (at least since upgrading to 2.23). During the last LTE outage, forcing it to CDMA only was necessary to avoid disruptions while it attempted to upgrade the connection periodically, in fact. I've also been satisfied with the speeds - rarely do they dip below 5 mb/sec, and most of the time, they're 10mb+. The only problem I have is the dormancy issue.

Either you're experiencing something different from me, or I have lower expectations. It's unclear to me which is the case.

0 Likes