Re: MiFi 4510L gets stuck in "dormant" state
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

A new solution has been proposed which may be helpful in this situation:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/Novatel-Wireless-MiFi4510L-stops-every-30-minutes/m-p/7558...

The poster mentions enabling the MAC filter of the MiFi to help with his disconnection events.  He noticed the problem was happening while around other wireless devices such as when he was traveling.  I wonder if his solution would help in this situation.  Let me know if you need help with the steps to enable the MAC Filter.

I admit this is truely a shot in the dark, but it might be worth it to try it out on one of your trips to work on the train and see if there is any improvement.  Thanks again for all of your feedback as we continue to troubleshoot your problem!  The community gains knowledge when people are willing to contribute to it.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can see the logic in that solution - it's possible that if a large number of clients begin the connection process that perhaps the mifi might drop existing connections to attempt to service them (because of its internal connection limit). The MAC filter probably prevents that.

However, in my case, the WiFi connection is never in doubt. I never see the WiFi connection get dropped or waver in the slightest. I can always reach vz.hotspot, and can always look up the modem status and system log. With firmware 2.16, I saw the Mifi outright crash with some frequency. When THAT happened, the wifi would be dropped, but too when that happened, the entire device became stuck and needed to be powered back up. But I haven't seen that behavior since upgrading to 2.23.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3
Support is flailing on this. They first tried to replace the SIM. That took an hour, two store employees, three phone calls and four SIMs to accomplish and made no difference. Next, they sent a replacement device. That replacement is utterly defective - it locks up 30 seconds after being powered up. So much for Verizon's lauded 100 point inspection on refurbs.

I am hopping mad.
0 Likes
tryan

I had a similar issue, dormancy and dropping connections and found this thread when trying to solve it.  I'm connecting with an HP Touchpad, so I thought perhaps it had something to do with the Touchpad.  In troubleshooting, I changed the encryption to 128 bit WEP.   No idea why this would have an impact on dormancy, but it seems to work much better for all devices.  Can't say that will solve it for everyone, but seems to have worked for me.  It still goes dormant, but seems to come out of it more gracefully.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

The replacement for the replacement arrived, and it's operating nominally, but the problem still persists.

I'm not really willing to downgrade the security of the WiFi to WEP, since I mainly use my MiFi on a train, and the chance of getting hacked is unacceptably high.

0 Likes
tryan

you might want to try it at home, just to see if it works for you.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

It hasn't made any difference I can detect. I still run into this at least daily.

0 Likes
cyberpunk

re 'dormant state' a solution that works for me every time within seconds...

* login to mifi 4510L (for me: http://192.168.1.1/mifi.cgi)

* select advanced > software update

* select 'check for update'

* watch 'dormant' change to 'connected'

* enjoy

I've had the dormant state during browsing, software updates, IM, email, skype, gtalk when roaming or stationary with full/clear wifi or full/low cell signal. this seems to work every time--logs reveal nothing. my logic for trying was verizon would want their device to connect to verizon home servers anytime and anywhere. been waiting for a real fix, finally had to share.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll try that next time. If this works, then it makes it really, really plain that this is a firmware bug in the MiFi. There should, in principle, be no difference whatsoever between the traffic of the MiFi checking for an update versus a client trying to do anything else.

0 Likes
jbb

First let me say that I LOVE Verizon's phone service. It beats the pants off AT&T. I've had them both. And my Verizon 3g USB gizmo always worked flawlessly.

However, this Mifi 4510L is a complete and total flop. It will not hold a connection no matter what firmware is in it (I now have 2.23.1). I've used it from NY to Las Vegas in the 12 days I've had it and it will not work properly anywhere. The times it does work for a few minutes, it's slow - very slow. The sad part is that I don't think Verizon has a clue what to do about it.

It's going back to the store and I'm going back to the 3g USB thing.

I also have an AT&T 4g Mifi and it screams. It never drops the connection, and it just always works. I'm keeping it for work and travel and giving the old USB thing to my wife. She's fine with its speed. But she could never tolerate the way the Verizon Mifi drops the connection all the time.

I've tried ALL the workarounds and different settings and all that stuff you see posted here, but the bottom line is that it doesn't work.

Ford had the Edsel and now Verizon has the 4510L, it's crazy old uncle that lives in the attic. It's a shame really. Verizon does everything else so well. They just can't do 4g yet.

0 Likes