Re: MiFi 4510L gets stuck in "dormant" state
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can virtually guarantee that this is not a wifi problem. I can always load and refresh vz.hotspot and never have any trouble loading the diagnostic log, not to mention having full wifi "bars" on my devices and being able to obtain DHCP leases, etc.

I've called support now, and they had no suggestions other than ones I have absolutely no expectation of efficacy - pull out the battery, reset to factory, yadda yadda yadda.

The last word from support is they now want to swap out the SIM card. I'll do that (because if I don't, then no doubt they will pin it all on that and refuse to move on), but again, I have zero confidence it will make any difference.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

It took the store 4 SIM cards, 3 employees, 2 phone calls to support and one hour, but they finally managed to change out the SIM in my mifi. So far, the problem has not recurred, but I haven't really used it other than a brief test so far.

0 Likes
RUn2it

All that the Meraki thing did was show me the same info the computer already shows unless I missed a button or something

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3
The new SIM did not make any difference. I caught the MiFi doing this again this evening.

If there is a common denominator, I think it's movement. My MiFi is used more when I'm moving than not, but even so I can't remember an occasion when I've run into this when standing still.
0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

RUn2it wrote:

All that the Meraki thing did was show me the same info the computer already shows unless I missed a button or something

The Meraki tool displays more information than your Wireless Network Connections window on your computer.  What is normally the most helpful is to actually see the different wireless channels and signals.  For example, when there are competing Wireless N signals on the same channel as the MiFi the MiFi signal may be getting overpowered and drowned out.   We have seen many instances of that scenario on these forums so far.

This tool is normally the most useful when there are many wireless signals in the same area. 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

nsayer wrote:
The new SIM did not make any difference. I caught the MiFi doing this again this evening.

If there is a common denominator, I think it's movement. My MiFi is used more when I'm moving than not, but even so I can't remember an occasion when I've run into this when standing still.

Then it sounds like the towers are having a hard time handing off your signal or keeping track of you as you roam about.  We still cannot conclude that the problem is specific to the device or the network at this time, but my gut tells me its a network problem.

I wonder if other users who notice dormancy are moving around when it happens too.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

John_Getzke wrote:

RUn2it wrote:

The Meraki tool displays more information than your Wireless Network Connections window on your computer.  What is normally the most helpful is to actually see the different wireless channels and signals.  For example, when there are competing Wireless N signals on the same channel as the MiFi the MiFi signal may be getting overpowered and drowned out.   We have seen many instances of that scenario on these forums so far.

This tool is normally the most useful when there are many wireless signals in the same area. 

In my case, I am quite sure that this is not a WiFi issue. At the exact same moment that the Internet is not reachable, the vz.hotspot page works perfectly and I have no trouble bringing up the system log, etc.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

John_Getzke wrote:

Then it sounds like the towers are having a hard time handing off your signal or keeping track of you as you roam about.  We still cannot conclude that the problem is specific to the device or the network at this time, but my gut tells me its a network problem.

I wonder if other users who notice dormancy are moving around when it happens too.

I wish there was a configuration knob where I could disable the dormant state. I'd quite happily sacrifice battery life for making this problem go away. My daily commute is only an hour on the train.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Fresh off the presses!

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/Please-read-Interesting-article-on-the-4G-LTE-signal-issue...

An article by Andriod Police addresses the 4G LTE disconnection issues.  It looks like the explanation described in the article matches the symptoms of the "Dormant" problem perfectly.  The good news is that we may now have a cause for the problem.  Let's hope that Verizon can get to the bottom of it soon.

The bad news is that there still is no permanant fix for this kind of issue, nor are our MiFi's alone in the problem.  We also don't know why some users have the issue and others do not.  It appears to be a combination of both the new 4G SIM cards and the authentication network protocols that Verizon is using at the moment.  Anything without a 4G SIM card has been uneffected. 

Time will tell if Verizon can fix this problem without sending out new equiptment to everyone.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3
This just doesn't ring true to me somehow. I don't have to bounce the RF layer to get the MiFi back up, and I don't ever see authentication issues in the system log. My guess is that the device goes dormant, and the character of the network changes radically (perhaps through movement), and when it wakes up, it can't cope. And yet, it seemingly copes well enough that it doesn't bounce the connection or downgrade to EVDO or some such.
0 Likes