Re: MiFi 4510L - Firmware Update 2.28!
ktuinstra
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got an email from my Verizon rep that the firmware update will be released OTA on 4/12.  This is what I got: 

Customers who have SU2 and have not manually upgraded their device to SU3 will receive the update over-the-air starting 04/12/2012.  Once the update has been downloaded by the device, end users will discover that auto-connection on their device has been disabled and that browser traffic will be redirected to the admin console to perform the update.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I pray that your VZW rep is misinformed.  Thanks for the heads-up if the rep is correct.

The last time VZW forced a firmware update was not pretty.

0 Likes
ktuinstra
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree when 2.16.07 came out it wasn't fun.  When it detects there is an update but can only apply the firmware manually and needs admin rights not going to be easy to roll out especially when your users don't have admin rights.  I think (hope) goes better if does go OTA since this time downloads to device and have to progress through some screens.  Fingers crossed.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The OTA update for 2.28 has been delayed. 

No word on when it will become available again.  VZW suggests that anyone who has not updated to 2.28 by USB to get it done soon.  That is the only way to reduce the impact of the OTA when it goes live in the future.

0 Likes
ktuinstra
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am curious to know where you found this out?

0 Likes
rmilling

I have attempted the manual update multiple times, but without success.  I think my laptop or my mifi device is now in an odd state that may require special steps (ie cleanup) in order to proceed with the update.

QUESTION:  Are there specific steps I should perform to get the mifi device and the laptop into the proper starting state before proceeding with the update?

Here are details:

My laptop is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  I reset the mifi to factory defaults.  The current firmware version is v2.23.

I installed and uninstalled the drivers on the laptop, many times.  Currently they are installed.  Currently, every time I run DUU_Verizon_MiFi4510L_FW2.28.exe I get the HID-mode pop-up.  I never get past this point.

steps that I perform:

- turn on mifi  (it is fully charged)

- connect mifi to laptop via USB

- wait a few seconds

- run DUU_Verizon_MiFi4510L_FW2.28

- get the HID-mode pop-up -- select YES then OK

- unplug mifi device from USB

- power down mifi device, then power back up

- plug mifi device back into USB port of laptop

- run DUU_Verizon_MiFi4510L_FW2.28 again

- get the same HID-mode pop-up

- repeat many times, never getting past this point

0 Likes
ktuinstra
Enthusiast - Level 2

Those are the same steps I have my users perform if they constantly keep getting the hid-mode.  They click yes on hid, unplug it, turn it off completely, turn it on and wait a little bit and plug it in and it goes.  I would wonder if you reset the device to factory settings possibly - Believe the button is under the battery cover.  Not to sure since for me at least the unplug and turn off and on has worked.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

@ktuinstra,

I contacted Verizon for confirmation about the forced OTA update.  Someone followed up with me later and confirmed that the OTA will be delayed.  Since I haven't seen any complaints this morning I assume the delay is still in effect.  No word yet on when the delay will be lifted.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

@Rmilling,

Restoring the defaults is a good idea.  You havent gotten to the point where the firmware update has actually started yet so there should be no harm in restoring.  You are getting stuck on the part where your computer downloads the drivers and trys to setup the MiFi to accept the firmware update.

On the previous firmware update someone discovered cleanup steps that were helpful for Mac users.  I don't think you should have to worry about cleanup just yet.  If you did try to cleanup then I would suggest re-downloading the entire package and trying again on a different computer if one is available.

I completed my update on a Win7 64bit laptop so we know that it should be possible with your setup too.

0 Likes
rmilling

John,

I completed the MiFi firmware update using a different system, also Win7 64bit.  So, that's set.  That just leaves me with some cleanup to do on my Win7 64bit laptop that did not work.

I made the switch to using another system because I suspected that something about the drivers was not right on my laptop.  My primary clue was that I did not get any pop-ups indicating drivers being loaded when I connected via USB cable.  Although I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, reinstalled, etc. several times.  Nothing changed. 

I previously plugged the MiWi device into the laptop via USB to recharge.  I did not think about it at the time, but perhaps that caused Windows to load some default driver.

Any suggestions on how to cleanup any old stuff to prepare for the next firmware update will be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes