Re: MiFi 2200 not connecting wirelessly with VISTA
dannywifi

Well, I certainly hope that someone from Verizon is taking all of these calls that they are receiving with this issue seriously. I know that I've done quite a lot of surfining around online, and it isn't just a handful of people that are having this problem.

The last I've heard from Verizon is that they can't/won't escalate the issue, as the device is working properly. Once I successfully connected the Wii to the MiFi, they decided that it was an issue with my computer/vista, and therefore not their problem.

Pretty crappy if you ask me.

0 Likes
granbyroll5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know this sounds trite, but I updated my wireless adapter Lynksys for my desktop to the drivers compatible with Vista and It finally worked. I dont have to put in the password anymore since the first time it accepted it and kept it in its memory.  The was for my laptop and now my desktop.  shoowwwee.  I hope this helps.  It has been very frustrating for me to. 2 days on the phone with Verizons ech support, picking the brain of the geeksquad at best buy and contacting Microsoft, Lynksys, etc...:smileysurprised:

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
Not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but Verizon's MiFi support is pathetic, so it doesn't surprise me that you found your solution elsewhere.  Glad you got it working!
0 Likes
kingmak
How do you even set up the WiFi to work with the MiFi? Every time I go to 192.168.1.1 I get a "not found" site. Any help?
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
The device (PC, Touch, or other browser-equipped device) must already be connected to the mifi, for you to see the router page in a browser.
0 Likes
Athena

OK I might have a fix for some of you.:smileyhappy:

Long version 

I was having the Same problems.  MiFi would connect to my XP laptop but not my Vista.  I would get as far as entering the secure code and clicking connect then the "windows cannot connect" message would pop up. I've done everything the Verizon techs asked me to do and nothing helped. I even went to a local wifi cafe to rule out my wifi not working at all but I was able to connect fine there So then, as a last ditch effort, I wiped my Vista machine clean and reloaded all the drivers and it Still didn't help.  

Since I had already talked to 7 different Verizon techs and 2.5 hrs of phone time in 4 days, not counting the time spent in the Verizon store and on my own time, I decided to go to a different VZ store today during lunch and they just gave me a new WiFi to try.   I knew it wasn't the MiFi since it would detect my XP and office laptop, but I was willing to try anything.  Well... Still the Same thing didn't connect, Same error codes, blah blah blah...... Same story.  

Then by chance a guy I work with, a network engineer (OK, computer nerd), inquired about my MIFi so I told him about it and the long battle with my new friend "MIFi". Next thing I know,  he grabs his laptop( which connected fine) and then looked at my settings and drivers on my laptop.  He download the latest version of my wifi adapter driver (Atheros AR5007eg is mine), uploads a newer version and THEN is able to connect to the MIFi wireless.  In less than 15 mins he had it fixed.

Short Version 

If you haven't udated your wifi adapter software, try it.  My Vista laptop had a Atheros AR5007eg, factory installed.  I'm assuming it was a 2007 version since we purchased it in 7/2007.  The version I downloaded was 7.6.1.204  from 1/2009.  There are plenty of free downloads you can find out there.  Best is to go to your laptop manufactures website and search for driver updates or do a search with your wifi adapter model and Vista in your search.  Just make sure the site you are downloading it from is a site you trust.  There are plenty of free shareware sites out there.

To find your wifi adapter on you laptop: go to Start>Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Device Manager.  Once in Device Manager find Network adapters and click on the + sign.  From there find the driver with wireless network adapter in the name. Double click on it.  From there you will see tabs at the top.  Click on the driver tab and it will give you what version you laptop has.

Hope this helps someone. I know it's frustrating...

0 Likes
RudyTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

That is correct solution Athena.

The cause is not Vista or XP, the cause is the wireless adapter / driver version being used.  Some adapters may not support WPA security, but in the case of the Atheros AR5007eg  adapter,  it was the driver version.

I was able to connect wirelessly via my Apple itouch and my XP laptop but not using my Vista laptop that also has an Atheros AR5007eg wireless adapter.  I also spent 1 hour with Verizon support and they suggested me to return the device as defective.  I am glad that I decided to investigate a little more before returning it.

Instead of searching manually the net for a newer driver version, what I did is:

- Go to Start - Right Click on Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Select the wireless adapter of your computer -> driver -> Let Vista serarch online for updated driver automatically.  In my case it found and automatically installed a 4/2009 driver version.

- Tried to connect tot he Mifi again (via Vista or the Verizon connection manager), and this time that asked for the password (WPA-PSK security password on the back of the MiFi) , it did not fail.

Now, I can connect to the MiFi wirelessly from my Vista Laptop.  SOLVED!

0 Likes
Athena

I totally forgot about Vista automatically searching for updates.  I use my XP laptop more and you don't get the auto search for updates via internet.

I just hope this helps others.  I did call Verizon today to tell them that I had fixed my problem since I was suppose to get a call back from one of their techs yesterday and never did. 

0 Likes
dannywifi

I had actually tried going to Toshiba's website about 5 times and updated the driver software from their site to no avail. But RudyTX 's suggestion that I let Vista search for the update was spot on.

Finally, I can connect wirelessly to the MIFI.

Thanks Rudy & Athena.

0 Likes
rtpgkss

Great stuff and advice I updated my drivers per directions above and fixed my Vista problem for wifi . I had Realtek wireless RTL8187

with 2008 drivers updated to 6/2009 driver with help from above instructions and PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS!!!

0 Likes