MiFi 2200 not connecting wirelessly with VISTA
dannywifi

Verizon has been ZERO help with this. I've spent hours and hours on the phone to no avail.

Here is the issue:

I can connect to the internet using VZAccess Manager (VZAM) as long as the MiFi is plugged into my laptop using the USB cord.

As soon as I unplug the MiFi, the network is deteced by both Vista and VZAM, but when I try to connect to it using VZAM I get a message stating that VZAM "Failed to conect to the Wi-Fi Network 'Verizon MiFi2200 51E3 Secure.' To make another connection attempt, press the retry button. If you would like to change the access credentials, press the modify credentials button." If I click the modify, it prompts me for my password, but then I just get the same failed message as before. The password I am using is the correct one (it's the password provided to me on the back of the MiFi, as well as validated through verizon's support).

If I try and connect using VISTA, it prompts me for the password, and then as soon as I enter it I get an error message saying "Windows can't connect to the network". If I click on diagnose the problem, I get "Wireless Association failed due to unknown reason".

I'm assuming that there is some type of setting in Vista that is preventing me from connecting to the MiFi, but what it is I do not know. This is the second device Verizon has given me, as the first was doing the same thing when I got it on Wed., and the support technician over the phone deemed it was a defective device and sent me a new one on Friday.

Also, as a sidenote, when I try to connect using my Wii, I get an error code as well.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MiFi 2200 not connecting wirelessly with VISTA
RudyTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

That is correct solution Athena.

The cause is not Vista or XP, the cause is the wireless adapter / driver version being used.  Some adapters may not support WPA security, but in the case of the Atheros AR5007eg  adapter,  it was the driver version.

I was able to connect wirelessly via my Apple itouch and my XP laptop but not using my Vista laptop that also has an Atheros AR5007eg wireless adapter.  I also spent 1 hour with Verizon support and they suggested me to return the device as defective.  I am glad that I decided to investigate a little more before returning it.

Instead of searching manually the net for a newer driver version, what I did is:

- Go to Start - Right Click on Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Select the wireless adapter of your computer -> driver -> Let Vista serarch online for updated driver automatically.  In my case it found and automatically installed a 4/2009 driver version.

- Tried to connect tot he Mifi again (via Vista or the Verizon connection manager), and this time that asked for the password (WPA-PSK security password on the back of the MiFi) , it did not fail.

Now, I can connect to the MiFi wirelessly from my Vista Laptop.  SOLVED!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
I initallly had the opposite problem with Vista--MiFi didn't work when plugged in but worked when it was used as a WiFi unit.  Someone here told me to check Remote Services, and sure enough they were turned off.  Go to Services.msc and make sure everything is turned on that looks remotely (pun) like it MIGHT be related to wireless or networking and see if that gets it working for you.
0 Likes
dannywifi
Thanks for the idea, I looked - and everything seems to be in order in that department.
0 Likes
dannywifi

**Update**

My wife was on the phone with Verizon for about an hour this afternoon, apparently they now have a department that deals with the MIFI. He told her that when the initial release went out for these MIFI's, some of the devices were defective and the password that was printed on the back of the device was not the password that was actually programmed into the device. He said that we must be "really unlucky" because we got two defective ones. He said he has seen this issue, and the fix is a new device.

I'm holding out hope, but not a ton since we've already been told the "defective device" bit before and it didn't help us. But, this guy apparently did seem really knowledgeable, so who knows.... 

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

Sounds farfetched, but maybe that will fix it...

Wish I could remember if a reset (push a paper clip into the hole in the back) reset the password to the one imprinted on the device.  nevertheless, why couldn't they just walk you thru using it with the cable, hit the modem with 192.168.1.1 and set the wireless password there, to anything you like??

After several fruitless calls to tech support, I realized I knew more than all the techs combined and figured out my issues on my own with a little research and head scratching.  The MiFi support SUCKS big time.  Someone on the forum resolved an issue for me with Vista.

Message Edited by dave1812 on 07-13-2009 09:50 PM
Message Edited by dave1812 on 07-13-2009 09:51 PM
0 Likes
dannywifi
Apparently, the reset won't do any good because again the password that is supplied on the back isn't the right one. So there isn't a way to get in after a reset to change. Also, the 192.168.1.1 won't work. Internet Explorer won't display the page, I've tried about a million times.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
Right.  If the PC hooked up via a cable to your Mifi, doesn't have a LAN connection to the router, the router page won't come up.  The Mifi, as I'm sure you know functions as a WWAN or WiFi, as well as LAN.
0 Likes
dannywifi

**Update**

We received our new MIFI yesterday, and still could not get Vista to talk to it.

I was able to get my Wii connected to it (finally), so there must have been something to the password issue. Once connected with the Wii, I used the Wii's internet channel, and went into 192.168.1.1. I was able to remove the security setting, eliminating the need to type in a password. We live on three acres out in the country, so we don't have anyone close enough to access the MIFI.

I then tried to connect again using Vista but to no avail. This confirms my original thought that there is some setting in Vista that is not communicating with the MIFI.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
granbyroll5
Enthusiast - Level 2

The technician and I used the 192.168.1.1 wirelessly through my laptop using Internet Explorer. She told me it is a wireless server. We accessed my credentials, changed the password, the type of security/encryption and the laptop works (never had a problem) but my desktop wont connect wirelessly at all. It can via the usb cable.  I wish someone could come up with the answer.  How about Novatel who made it??

0 Likes
drpp62

Not sure if this will help or not, but I too believe it is a Vista issue.  I have two other CPUS (1 sony laptop and 1 samsung tablet pc), both of which are running XP.  They both work with the Mifi (both the tethered and wifi).  On my other laptop (Vista), only the tethered works.  And I agree, the service from Verizon is terrible.  The guy was nice enough, but after two hours, still no resolution. 

0 Likes