Re: MiFi 2200: Is 1.7 Mbps slow? Please help!
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

in order to give an accurate reply... it is necessary to read ALL of the original post... in this way, you can then be a real help to the person seeking knowledge on technical subjests...You must have missed this part:

I have a Verizon MiFi 2200. The theoretical maximum transfer speed is 54.0 Mbps. I read online that the true speed is normally 40-80% theoretical speed.

If that is true, I should be downloading at speeds of 21.6Mbps-43.2Mbps. HOWEVER- Everytime I do the speed test at speedtest.net, I'm consistently ranging between 1.5-2Mbps, which is only about 3-4% of the theoretical max!

The OP is getting 1.5 to 2 Mbps. Which is exemplary for EVDO, which typically gets .75 - 1 Mbps.

0 Likes
z4alltel

apparently you missed the part about the original post presenting questions about his bandwidth... internet protocols evdo and 1xrtt... and how download and upload speeds were effected... i realize you are stuck with a mifi and would like to discuss only your decision to buy that rather than the much more capable evdo modem... 

and you are so incorrect about 3g bandwidth... if you had read my post... you would realize that i have had 3g bandwidth as high as 3.5Mbs... the problem with verizon 3g is that it very often sinks to the 1xrtt protocol which is much slower than a 56k modem...

{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
tomgraywind

I'd love to get 1.7 MBps, like I used to up to around a month ago.  Suddenly I am getting 0.17 MBps for downloads and roughly the same for uploads .  This is a MiFi for business.  We also have a home one that is still getting 1.5-2.0 on downloads (i.e., from the same physical location.  Any advice on troubleshooting?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

tomgraywind wrote:

I'd love to get 1.7 MBps, like I used to up to around a month ago.  Suddenly I am getting 0.17 MBps for downloads and roughly the same for uploads .  This is a MiFi for business.  We also have a home one that is still getting 1.5-2.0 on downloads (i.e., from the same physical location.  Any advice on troubleshooting?

Tom,

Try resetting your MiFi which is having problems.  There are a few different levels of resets that you can try

Level 1: Power On/Off the device

Level 2: Reset the SIM Card

Level 3: Press the Reset button on the back of the MiFi by the battery

Start at Level 1 and work your way up.  Check your internet speed each time to see if there are any improvements.  Let us know if you need more steps on how to perform the various resets.

0 Likes
tomgraywind

Thanks, will give it a shot.  And you get kudos for just answering.

0 Likes
tomgraywind

OK, problem solved.  None of the fixes I tried worked, spent several hours testing various ideas.  Advice from company IT Support was to request a new MiFi under warranty.  Didn't get around to that yet.  Yesterday, noticed that a couple of videos I was watching were not horrendously slow.  Ran Speedtest today and performance was back to normal.  Current theory: some mystical issue on this particular account at the cell tower.  Took about 1 month to resolve.

0 Likes
jlthorpe

There is no SIM card on a 2200

0 Likes
MyGabby1

I just took another speed test and the following are my results: Ping is 95 ms, Download 2.83 Mbps, Upload 0.73 Mbps. I don't seem to have too many problems, but I don't live in a crowded community. I have mountains surrounding me but don't have the competition of all the rebar in a bunch of homes surrounding me. Try relocating your device and run an upgrade on it. If you live in a two story, place it upstairs near a window. You might have to set it on the sill and retest to find the right one that it works best at. I lived in a two story home in an estate at one time and my phone had very poor signal inside, unless I was standing near a North/Northeast facing window. Just a suggestion.

0 Likes
tomt966

You're high speed....I average .25mbps with my 4510 and 3g. I'm disgusted.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you notice that you were responding to a discussion started over two YEARS ago?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes