MIFI 2200 wireless works on laptop NOT desktop; desktop works via cable/USB modem mode
granbyroll5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, here I am.  I have been on the phone with Verizon all day long today after getting the MIFI fedex'd to me yesterday.  The verizon employee was good to work with and tried her best to see me through any technical issues or finding a reason why my desktop could not connect wirelessly.  I have a Lynksys wireless adapter that has been working fine when I was using Dish network and a NetGear router.  They just really slow you down, when you've reached your threshold for the month which is very aggravating, but I don't have any other options. We really were hoping that all of us could do our own thing while on our PC's and laptops, WII (work, school, projects, college courses online and just plain ole' surfing fun).

No luck. I was given the manufacturer's email address and sent them a message, but Have not heard anything yet and their website is not very user friendly for offering any tech support on their new product, the MIFI 2200.  Here is their email address if you are having the same issues:  VZWMIFIsupport@NVTL.com.:smileysad:

At first, we thought is was the password issue being wrong as the posts here previously described, but with the laptop working wirelessly, we connected to the 192.168.1.1 proxy site, and changed the password.  Still did not work for my desktop.  The desktop is relatively new:  Dell, Vista 6 gig 64 bit operating syst. 2.40 ghz.  We upgraded the VZWaccess manager to 7.0 via verizon's website, not through the software itself.  I was told if you install the software the first time, it will prompt you to upgrade your manager to 7.0 but if you don't and want to later, it will not prompt you anymore and mine would not upgrade either even after unistalling the entire software program. 

Anyone have any solutions????????????  Please let me know.   Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MIFI 2200 wireless works on laptop NOT desktop; desktop works via cable/USB modem mode
granbyroll5
Enthusiast - Level 2
Well me and Lynksys figured it out and got it to work.  The Wireless G adapter was not compatible with Vista.  We upgradedte driver for it: Ralink Tecnology Corp. version 11/26/2008 2.1.3.0.  Now my desktop and laptop can connec wirelessly.  Hope this helps others who may have the same problem :smileysurprised:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: MIFI 2200 wireless works on laptop NOT desktop; desktop works via cable/USB modem mode
granbyroll5
Enthusiast - Level 2
Well me and Lynksys figured it out and got it to work.  The Wireless G adapter was not compatible with Vista.  We upgradedte driver for it: Ralink Tecnology Corp. version 11/26/2008 2.1.3.0.  Now my desktop and laptop can connec wirelessly.  Hope this helps others who may have the same problem :smileysurprised:
0 Likes
MiFi2200User

I had the same issue: On a Vista desktop, worked fine with USB but not as a router, even though the router setup worked with my XP laptop and my Netflix ROKU (excellent performance, by the way!).  I used the XP laptop to connect to 192.168.1.1 and opened up the security, still no results with the Vista desktop.  Inspired by a different post from someone with a Linksys who updated their driver, I updated the Wireless Network Adaptor drive on my Vista desktop (HP Pavilion), and voila! - it is now working very well!

Now we need to simply monitor the rate of consumption - I am a bit concerned that we will easily chew through the 5GB before month's end....

0 Likes
kawagner

I'm no sure I'm in the right place - I recently purchased the Mifi 2200 - it connects wireless great to my laptop (which is Vista), but it will not connect to my linksys adapter on my desktop (XP). It sees the wireless connection but continues to tell me the security key is not correct. I see others have fixed this issue buy updating the driver on the adapter but I only see this for Vista. Has anyone been able to figure this out for XP? Please help.

0 Likes
jdstowe

I have the same problem, identical!  However, when I try to update the Linksys Drivers I get told that mine are already the latest.  The most recent that I can find on the Linksys Support Site is a 12/29/06 version.  Can you tell me how you found the 12/26/2008 release?

0 Likes
oldlady

I have spent 2 months trying to get my desktop XP to recognize my MiFi 2200. Once in awhile it will "find" it and then works fine. But once out of 50 times putting in all the info into Links is not acceptable. It works fine with my vista laptop....

I've read most of everything here and tried most of it that I understand, what am I missing?? Do I need a different adapter? I know this is an old problem by now, but when I call support they say the problem is beyond them, so no support basically.

Thanks for any help you can give me before I tear out my last hairs.

0 Likes