Jetpack MHS291L versus MiFi 5510
Froido
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Jetpack MHS291L.  In case I need to replace it soon, I'd like to know if the MiFi 5510 has similar capabilities.  In particular, Id' like to know if the MiFi 5510 allows filtering of connections by allowing only certain MAC addresses to connect.  Also, is the quality of the hardware between the MHS291L and the MiFi 5510 similar?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Jetpack MHS291L versus MiFi 5510
Weth
Legend

Based on the manual, it does not have a whitelist MAC filtering, but rather only blacklists MAC addresses to block

https://www.wirelesszone.com/cms/files/4948492715220f59dd475d.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Based on the manual, it does not have a whitelist MAC filtering, but rather only blacklists MAC addresses to block

https://www.wirelesszone.com/cms/files/4948492715220f59dd475d.pdf

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> if the MiFi 5510 allows filtering of connections by allowing only certain MAC addresses to connect.

You mean a MAC filter?  Yes all jetpacks have those.

> Also, is the quality of the hardware between the MHS291L and the MiFi 5510 similar?

Two different manufacturers so I wouldn't say they are similar.  However, the results you receive when using them properly should be competitive.  I tend to have better luck with the Novatel MiFi brand than any other.

0 Likes
Froido
Enthusiast - Level 3

> You mean a MAC filter?  Yes all jetpacks have those.

Specifically, do all Jetpacks (including the MiFi 5510) have the capability to create a "whitelist" - only approved MAC addresses are allowed to connect?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Yup, it should.  You can always check out the User Guide of the Jetpack to review the features that it provides before making a purchase. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

And as I stated above, with a link to the manual, it only showed blacklisting MAC addresses. I do not have one. At this point it will require someone else that has this device to confirm the situation.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Whoops sorry about the User Manual comment, my preview window was hiding that particular post.

My other thought would be to swing by a VZW store after work sometime.  Ask to demo a 5510 and hook it up to your laptop so you can play with the features and confirm the limitations.  If I manage to come in contact with a 5510 I can try to remember to confirm for you too.

0 Likes